Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Market crazy - ticket stub = LMAO (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=317845)

jboosted92 04-07-2022 05:44 PM

Market crazy - ticket stub = LMAO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29489412652...j&LH_Auction=1

litterally cheaper to have bought 4 tickets to ACTUALLY go to game

JustinD 04-07-2022 05:58 PM

So many folks are sold on the idea of these as investment and just don’t bring logic into the equation.

Touch'EmAll 04-07-2022 06:17 PM

Good luck to ya with the tickets. I'll pass.

ajenks3378 04-07-2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2212933)
So many folks are sold on the idea of these as investment and just don’t bring logic into the equation.

Justin what logic are you talking about? It is a game issued item, had to attend the event, and much more scarce then any base card in Topps or Bowman.
It is a collectible just as anything.
If something isn’t for you that is understandable but i never get the argument that it isn’t an investment.
Andy

Shoeless Moe 04-07-2022 09:19 PM

not that scarce

28,459 in attendance

Carter08 04-07-2022 09:20 PM

I think it’s the pop 50,000 that has some people scratching their heads.

bigfanNY 04-07-2022 10:09 PM

The KC Royals policy is to not issue any hard tickets. All the Royals tickets are digital through the MLB app. The game was the Debut of Bobby Witt Jr. Who is a hot rookie. And the only way to get a ticket was to have one printed by the box office. And then very difficult you have to convince box office that there is no way for you to use the digital app. So I would guess less than 500 hard tickets for this game. Maybe less. If Witt has a monster year the tickets might...might do well.

ajenks3378 04-07-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2213007)
not that scarce

28,459 in attendance

Paul that is an misinformed take. There are probably about 100 physical tickets. As we all know from attending MLB games you do not get ‘tickets” anymore.
It is all through the MLB app.
Same opinion as saying there are 20K ticket stubs sitting around from any World Series game from 1920 - today.
Andy

ajenks3378 04-07-2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2213008)
I think it’s the pop 50,000 that has some people scratching their heads.

50K physical tickets do not exist. If you have been to an MLB game in the past 5 years you know it is next to impossible to get a hard ticket to a game.
It is all through the MLB app.
ANdy

Brian Van Horn 04-07-2022 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OT, but still a Crosby 500th goal ticket:

JustinD 04-07-2022 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajenks3378 (Post 2213004)
Justin what logic are you talking about? It is a game issued item, had to attend the event, and much more scarce then any base card in Topps or Bowman.
It is a collectible just as anything.
If something isn’t for you that is understandable but i never get the argument that it isn’t an investment.
Andy

The logic is nonexistent. I also cannot see where you see me stating this is not an investment. I just think it’s an exceedingly poor one.

As the OP stated, we have exceeded the cost of the game itself. A game that occurred 12 hours ago.

Yes, the ticket holder went through the additional effort of asking the box office for physical tickets. Yes, that extra 20 minutes of work got them not just their money back, but additional cash to reimburse their beer tab for the day. Yes, for an average mid season game I bet the estimated print runs may be in the hundreds. For this game the chance of this one ticket holder figuring out this is highly unlikely. I would think the BO likely had thousands of requests for printed tickets specifically for this…so a few hundred? Not unless the box office confirms that will I believe it.

The only explanation for paying 500 bucks for 12 hour old ticket stubs on a prospects first game is investment. A very, very, very risky one. I personally would have a better time justifying using my 500 on a betting app and I am confident that it would be the same or better of an “investment”.

My opinion only.

Schlesinj 04-08-2022 04:26 AM

So this is more of a discussion of modern vs vintage discussion as there are plenty of people that pay big money for hyped prospect cards for the chance to hit bigger. That is not my thing, but it certainly has a huge market.

jboosted92 04-08-2022 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2213016)
The KC Royals policy is to not issue any hard tickets. All the Royals tickets are digital through the MLB app. The game was the Debut of Bobby Witt Jr. Who is a hot rookie. And the only way to get a ticket was to have one printed by the box office. And then very difficult you have to convince box office that there is no way for you to use the digital app. So I would guess less than 500 hard tickets for this game. Maybe less. If Witt has a monster year the tickets might...might do well.

ahhhhh very nice. didnt know that

Shoeless Moe 04-08-2022 05:52 AM

Just some of the sellers of these tickets are located in Texas, Pennsylvania, and Hawaii.

Must have been a long line outside that box office.

sportscardpete 04-08-2022 06:30 AM

In the world of collectibles, anything is collectible. Comics, ticket stubs, cards, lamps. I think it is all fascinating. At the end of the day, the more "collecting" is acceptable to the general population, the better for the hobby.

For the record, I own zero ticket stubs.

irv 04-08-2022 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2213076)
In the world of collectibles, anything is collectible. Comics, ticket stubs, cards, lamps. I think it is all fascinating. At the end of the day, the more "collecting" is acceptable to the general population, the better for the hobby.

For the record, I own zero ticket stubs.

Couldn't agree more.
And also for the record, I own only 1 ticket stub which was only purchased to compliment the pic of my great Uncle Sam taken with Mickey Mantle at the 58 WS.

rjackson44 04-08-2022 08:54 AM

I belong to buggers tickets on facebook im shocked at prices ive gotten for ticket stubbs crazy.

DaveW 04-08-2022 11:21 AM

Don’t forget - it’s not just Bobby Witt Jr’s first game, it’s the first game for the Cleveland Guardians.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any tickets stubs except ones that I went to as a kid.

JustinD 04-08-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveW (Post 2213197)
Don’t forget - it’s not just Bobby Witt Jr’s first game, it’s the first game for the Cleveland Guardians.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any tickets stubs except ones that I went to as a kid.

Personally, the Bobby Witt Jr is worth celebrating, the first game of the Guardians is just another sad chapter of erasing history to many fans. I think you are looking at some serious time before most diehards see that as anything but a negative.

FYI- for honesty. I will be getting a few stubs for Big Torks first game today for my personal Detroit collection as I am prepping for the opening day bar trip as I type this. The truth on that though is I will be trading a tap beer for each, not 125 dollars, lol. I am also sure I will likely stop at the outcome of 4 Bud Light’s worth.

71buc 04-08-2022 11:56 AM

I have a handful of tickets that appeal to me Aaron 715, Clemente 3000, Maz Game 7, Musial last game, Mays last hit/RBI, Spahn passing Plank, JR Sr first game together, 1995 ALDS Game 5, and things like that. I never considered them as an investment but more of fun companion pieces to photos, cards, autographs, etc. They have a Willie Wonka feel to them. That being said I could care less about the current modern debut ticket craze. I can only imagine what a Fred Lynn rookie debut would cost today if he was a rookie now. I think a lot of people speculating about modern tickets are going to get burned. There has to be a ticket broker out there sitting on a stack of Trout debuts.

71buc 04-08-2022 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How many 18th (22nd consecutive) win 1959 Elroy Face ticket stubs are out there? Can’t be many or many besides me who actually care that his 18-1 season is the highest win loss percentage for a pitcher in history? Obviously this isn’t an investment it’s likely the product of my own bizarre compulsions. The weird people are the ones who collect VHS and Pokémon they need therapy.

maniac_73 04-08-2022 12:55 PM

This ticketstub mania has totally put a halt to my 500hr collection. Used to be such a reasonably priced PC that I would passively collect. Now the prices have become ridiculous