Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poll: the great trimming scandal of 2019 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=277638)

Snapolit1 01-02-2020 02:37 PM

Poll: the great trimming scandal of 2019

Who knows what we will see from LE in the coming year on the card trimming bogus regrading scandal. Maybe charges against some of the usual suspects. Maybe bupkis. Maybe time for an anonymous poll among friends.

bnorth 01-02-2020 02:46 PM

Sgt. Schultz here, I know nothing.;)

Johnny630 01-02-2020 03:11 PM

Will someone be squeezed this year by the Feds?

Republicaninmass 01-02-2020 03:19 PM

Private Parts here, nothing to report from Ft Dix

perezfan 01-02-2020 04:42 PM

I know 3 people that have received subpoenas from the FBI, in regard to the scandal.

While the silence and waiting is rather frustrating, I'm actually glad that they're taking a long time to build their case. The longer, the better, as far as I'm concerned. No stone unturned, as the saying goes. The list of revealed cards, card doctors, shady dealers and inept/complicit TPG personnel is quickly accelerating. So they should really be in no hurry to wrap things up.

That said... it is frustrating to see some of these people continuing with business as usual during the investigation.

topcat61 01-03-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1943851)
I know 3 people that have received subpoenas from the FBI, in regard to the scandal.

While the silence and waiting is rather frustrating, I'm actually glad that they're taking a long time to build their case. The longer, the better, as far as I'm concerned. No stone unturned, as the saying goes. The list of revealed cards, card doctors, shady dealers and inept/complicit TPG personnel is quickly accelerating. So they should really be in no hurry to wrap things up.

That said... it is frustrating to see some of these people continuing with business as usual during the investigation.

I agree, it is frustrating to wait, but I'd rather see them prepare an airtight case than have certain culpable parties skate.

I think what bothers me the most through this poll is that so many collectors, dealers, etc, either don't know what's going on, or don't care because they believe it either hasnt or wont affect them personally. I bet that it will or has in some form or another. With that said, Bill Mastro and Doug Allen going away wasn't enough of a big deal to get this hobby to shape up...so what's it going to take? A complete collapse? I'd think the T206 autograph forgery scandal and this scandal would wake people up but apparently not?

Johnny630 01-03-2020 08:16 AM

I think a lot of people want to mute this because they don't want their collections to loss their value......It's the unfortunate collateral damage affect from all of this.

It stinks all the way around

Leon 01-03-2020 08:27 AM

I spoke to the FBI at the national last year (4 mos ago) as I usually do. I have never seen as many agents as I did there and at the Net54baseball dinner. They don't send that many agents if nothing is going to happen, is my guess. As most know, a few years ago the FBI gave a nice speech at the Net54 dinner. At that time Special Agent Brusokas seemed like he was very involved in our hobby. That is a great thing for the good guys and not so great for the bad guys. I couldn't be happier. Hobbyists just need to cool their heels on expediency. It takes time for bad rats to roll over on other bad rats. :) I strongly believe we will see punitive action in the future. How long is anyone's guess.

vintagewhitesox 01-03-2020 08:42 AM

Federal cases take time to build. I've had clients indicted over a year after their initial contact with law enforcement. The FBI usually doesn't give status updates on their investigations.
Moreover, anyone giving substantial information related to an ongoing investigation is usually told not to discuss their statements.

Leon 01-03-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox (Post 1944008)
Federal cases take time to build. I've had clients indicted over a year after their initial contact with law enforcement. The FBI usually doesn't give status updates on their investigations.
Moreover, anyone giving substantial information related to an ongoing investigation is usually told not to discuss their statements.

To further clarify my statement above I don't have any significant information regarding the scandal. I know the agent in charge and we spoke but not about anything except in very general terms. I don't want anyone to think I am working with them at all on this, although if they asked, I would be at their disposal and be more than happy to help any way I can. Just as I tried to in the Mastro/Legendary debacle.