Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone seen this guy opening a sealed 67T cello pack with Mantle on top? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344880)

Lucas00 03-04-2024 08:37 PM

$8300 pack with a now $1200-$1500 mantle plus let's say $500 for the rest of the pack to be very generous. Looks like well over a $6000 loss.

I'm not sure I've seen something so cringe worthy in a while. Still baffled the pack was opened. But hey, he can at least say he pulled it from a pack himself in 2024, not many other people can say that. So that's at least a few hundred for the experience 😆.

babraham 03-04-2024 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2417368)
$8300 pack with a now $1200-$1500 mantle plus let's say $500 for the rest of the pack to be very generous. Looks like well over a $6000 loss.

:eek::D

raulus 03-05-2024 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 2417357)
There are a couple newer videos - one is a 170 or so PSA reveal of mostly 7s and 6s of 80-81 baseball and football he showed the note he sent them on the Mantle. Again, I'm simply flabergasted that they ignored him.

He also just posted a reveal of a few of the 72s he recently ripped - I won't give anything away except to say he thinks PSA is screwing him over.

Given his strong sense that he’s getting screwed by PSA, he would fit right in around here!

jchcollins 03-05-2024 07:14 AM

He sent a note telling them what it should grade? Uh, ok. I'm pretty sure that's a great way to ensure it WON'T get the grade you are after... :D

You can tell those are not 8 corners in the video before he even reveals the grade...

deweyinthehall 03-05-2024 07:49 PM

I need to ask - I've never sent a card to be graded...can anyone say what he might be paying PSA per card for these large orders? I think he mentioned $15 per card - does that sound right?

raulus 03-06-2024 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 2417585)
I need to ask - I've never sent a card to be graded...can anyone say what he might be paying PSA per card for these large orders? I think he mentioned $15 per card - does that sound right?

Bulk pricing these days is around $19 if you're a member. Sometimes a little less if they're running a special. But those always have low value limits, like $200 or $250. So he's not sending what he thinks are high value cards at that price point.

And at that price point he's also not getting zippy turnaround. Typically for vintage submitted at the bulk service level, you're looking at a solid 6 months these days. Given how quickly this unfolded, he probably submitted at a higher service level that was a lot more expensive. I've added a snip of some of the higher service level pricing as it sits today.

D. Bergin 03-06-2024 09:29 AM

Yeah, I'd guess since that was the only card in that order, he paid the $129 + shipping each way. So he's bumping up against 200 bucks if he paid full insurance to get it to PSA.

ClementeFanOh 03-06-2024 11:27 AM

Mantle pack

The truly scary part is that this is exactly the kind of person I envision
getting a job at PSA as a grader. ("I've been a collector for 7 whole years!
Opened all kinds of packs and gently placed cards in sleeves, with never
a dinged corner. I'm your guy!")

Trent King

jchcollins 03-06-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyinthehall (Post 2417585)

The '67 Mantle was a one card order. And he got it back way too fast to have paid the economy price. Not sure what he did pay, but guessing it was not cheap.

BioCRN 03-06-2024 06:46 PM

In an era where grading "any old crap" with PSA has gone nearly extinct, I salute this dude choosing to grade a whole bunch of rarely graded stuff. His money to burn is my potential treasure.

I'm neck deep into a graded personal collection that was a lot easier to fill when $6-$8 grading specials were around. Luckily, my need for this kind of stuff is only 17 cards at this point. I could end it now by throwing $350-$400 at the hole in my collection, but the hunt is part of the collecting for me. I'm not in a hurry.

I don't know what passes through someone's mind when they're deciding to grade a 1991 Bowman Rick Wilkins, but there's 1 graded (PSA 9) and it was $10.