Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The 'Modern Era' Ballot: Who You Got? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275595)

clydepepper 11-07-2019 08:29 PM

The 'Modern Era' Ballot: Who You Got?

The players listed on the ballot and their WAR:

Lou Whitaker...………………………………………..75.1
Dwight Evans...………………………………………..67.1
Tommy John...………………………………………….62.1
Ted Simmons...………………………………………..50.3
Dale Murphy...………………………………………….46.5
Thurman Munson...………………………………….46.1
Don Mattingly...……………………………………….42.4
Dave Parker...………………………………………….40.1
Steve Garvey...………………………………………..38.1

elected last year:
Baines...…………………………………………………….38.7

and the three Cubans who, IMO, should already be in:

Luis Tiant…………………………………………………….65.6
Minnie Minoso…………………………………………….50.5
Tony Oliva...……………………………………………...43.1

I realize that WAR is not the only measurement used, but it's a convenient starting place (the list had already been put together - so lazy me is just using their 'trade craft')

The ESPN writer had Ted Simmons as the only one with an excellent chance of getting in, but also made comment on Harold Baines.

Tomi 11-07-2019 08:46 PM

All of these guys are in the Hall Of Good. With the people they have put in recently most if not all might go in eventually.

dgo71 11-07-2019 11:56 PM

Marvin Miller is on the ballot as well and his exclusion to this point is a complete joke. The pettiness of executives who sat on the various incarnations of these committees is the only thing that has kept Miller out all these years. His contributions to the game are undeniable and IMHO more significant than those of Bud Selig or Bowie Kuhn. It's a shame he didn't live to see his induction but it's time the Hall erased this black mark on its voting history and elect him. Aside from that, Whitaker and Simmons have the "steam" heading into this election and I don't feel the HOF is significantly lessened with their inclusions.

Edited to add, I would've liked to see some new blood on this ballot. All but 2 of these guys have been examined ad nauseum on past veterans committees and fell short, so unless they are specifically trying to shoehorn a couple of these players in, it's probably time to look more closely at players like Bobby Grich, and a man I was definitely hoping to see get his shot this year, Al Oliver.

Jstottlemire1 11-08-2019 07:51 AM

I think Munson should be a lock for sure. His career untimely cut short shouldn’t effect his induction. Yankee Captain, ROY, MVP, 7 AS, 3 gold gloves and 2 World Series championships in a abbreviated career. He was in route so I would put him in.

mr2686 11-09-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 (Post 1929429)
I think Munson should be a lock for sure. His career untimely cut short shouldn’t effect his induction. Yankee Captain, ROY, MVP, 7 AS, 3 gold gloves and 2 World Series championships in a abbreviated career. He was in route so I would put him in.

Don't forget his great playoff and WS numbers. I think too many people dismiss him because they think his career was too short. Anyone thinking that the hall would be less for putting him in is just flat out wrong.

EvilKing00 11-09-2019 01:11 PM

I dont think any of those players should be in the HOF

The HOF is showcase of the history of the greatest players of each era.

Joe Jackson
Pete Rose
Bonds
Arod
Schffield
Clemens

Imo all should be in 😳

Yes pete should be banned from the dugout never to return, but that dosnt erase his stats.

clydepepper 11-09-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1929840)
I dont think any of those players should be in the HOF

The HOF is showcase of the history of the greatest players of each era.

Joe Jackson
Pete Rose
Bonds
Arod
Schffield
Clemens

Imo all should be in ��

Yes pete should be banned from the dugout never to return, but that dosnt erase his stats.

In MY opinion, as long as there are deserving players who DID NOT cheat who aren't in, those bums should NEVER get in.

But, you are entitled to your opinion...but you are, of course, wrong.

EvilKing00 11-10-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1929883)
In MY opinion, as long as there are deserving players who DID NOT cheat who aren't in, those bums should NEVER get in.

But, you are entitled to your opinion...but you are, of course, wrong.

There are many players in the HOF who cheated.

Heres the argument for bonds and the rest

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2014/0...-of-fame.html/

the 'stache 11-12-2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 (Post 1929429)

Munson was on the decline, when he died. Yankee Captain...who cares. Rookie of the Year, who cares.

Unfortunately, I just don't think he played long enough. He might have rebounded, but catchers don't usually drop off, and then spring back. Ultimately, I'm on the fence when it comes to him.

clydepepper 11-13-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1930032)
There are many players in the HOF who cheated.

it's one thing to lower standards for someone like Baines or Mazeroski...it's a whole different ball game...literally, when great players STILL cheat.

barry bonds is someone who had EVERY advantage and STILL chose to cheat! He deserves NOTHING.

'There are many players in the HOF who cheated.' Doesn't mean the standards have to be lowered to let in ALL that do.

The bottom line is that it is a disservice and an insult to all those who played the game without cheating to let all those who didn't get in.

Baseball is just one area of life where standards have been lowered...I find it sickening.
_

Heres the argument for bonds and the rest

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2014/0...-of-fame.html/

=

familytoad 12-08-2019 08:21 PM

Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller

The Hall has two new members after this committee vote.

Interesting that veteran catcher Simmons was more well regarded than our board seemed to think. 21 seasons of being pretty good can get you in the Hall now.
I liked Ted as a player , and don’t mind that he got voted in, but I don’t recall anything dominant about his game. That skill is usually observed in Hall of Famers.

The 1971 Topps set adds another card moved to the HOF column...

the 'stache 12-09-2019 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytoad (Post 1937270)
The Hall has two new members after this committee vote.

Interesting that veteran catcher Simmons was more well regarded than our board seemed to think. 21 seasons of being pretty good can get you in the Hall now.
I liked Ted as a player , and don’t mind that he got voted in, but I don’t recall anything dominant about his game. That skill is usually observed in Hall of Famers.

The 1971 Topps set adds another card moved to the HOF column...

He was the only catcher in baseball history with a 50 + WAR not in Cooperstown. I've felt he deserved to be in a long time. The guy was a fantastic hitter from a position that just didn't get a lot of offense, especially in the 70s and 80s.

I'm thrilled both Marvin Miller and Simba are in.

Hot Springs Bathers 12-09-2019 07:55 AM

Ted was the best hitting catcher of his era, Bench hit very well in big moments but day-to-day Simba was the man! He now held in high reverence by baseball insiders as the best talent judge in the game. A true gentleman too.

clydepepper 12-09-2019 12:16 PM

Comparing Simmons to Bench...interesting...certainly never thought of that.

packs 12-09-2019 12:33 PM

Ted Simmons seems like the epitome of having to take someone's word for how good they were. He never finished higher than 6th in MVP voting in any single year over his entire career. Seems like "best hitting catcher of his time" would have a better showing.

Peter_Spaeth 12-09-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1937445)
Ted Simmons seems like the epitome of having to take someone's word for how good they were. He never finished higher than 6th in MVP voting in any single year over his entire career. Seems like "best hitting catcher of his time" would have a better showing.

Even by WAR, Bench is 1 among catchers, Simmons is 10. Let's not get carried away.

packs 12-09-2019 02:18 PM

I'm not picking up on the 50 WAR thing either. It seems like that's just a coincidence. Simmons had 50 WAR but it took him 21 years to do that. Munson only played 11 seasons, finished with a WAR of 46 and people think he's not even close to the Hall.

Peter_Spaeth 12-09-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1937492)
I'm not picking up on the 50 WAR thing either. It seems like that's just a coincidence. Simmons had 50 WAR but it took him 21 years to do that. Munson only played 11 seasons, finished with a WAR of 46 and people think he's not even close to the Hall.

Bench had 75. I would say he was the man, not Simmons.

packs 12-09-2019 02:28 PM

I just can't figure it out. Even Simmons' defense was league average. His caught stealing percentage and fielding percentages are both exactly league average. He's got more walks than strike outs and his career on base is still below 350. How is he not only one of the greatest players of all time but also the best hitting catcher of his era?

Peter_Spaeth 12-09-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1937498)
I just can't figure it out. Even Simmons' defense was league average. His caught stealing percentage and fielding percentages are both exactly league average. He's got more walks than strike outs and his career on base is still below 350. How is he not only one of the greatest players of all time but also the best hitting catcher of his era?

Carter and Fisk were better too.

clydepepper 12-09-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1937498)

Easy folks...Harold needs company. :rolleyes:

mr2686 12-10-2019 04:45 AM

I'm old school, and Johnny Bench is one of my all time favorite players...best catcher of all time in my opinion as well. With that said, Bench was a "slugger" more than a hitter. You can take all the new metric WAR this and that, and that's fine, but Simmons was a better "hitter". Simmons hit over .300 seven times and had more BB's than K's. All I can say is that you try catching 1771 games (those are the games he played catcher, not just played) and still have a career .285 avg. Too many people lump catchers with other position players, and that's a shame because it's the toughest position out there...and comparing Simmons with Baines is just wrong on so many levels.

clydepepper 12-10-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1937721)
I'm old school, and Johnny Bench is one of my all time favorite players...best catcher of all time in my opinion as well. With that said, Bench was a "slugger" more than a hitter. You can take all the new metric WAR this and that, and that's fine, but Simmons was a better "hitter". Simmons hit over .300 seven times and had more BB's than K's. All I can say is that you try catching 1771 games (those are the games he played catcher, not just played) and still have a career .285 avg. Too many people lump catchers with other position players, and that's a shame because it's the toughest position out there...and comparing Simmons with Baines is just wrong on so many levels.

Mike - no slight intended. I was trying to lighten the discussion with a little humor.

mr2686 12-10-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1937803)
Mike - no slight intended. I was trying to lighten the discussion with a little humor.

Yeah, that's what I figured but I forgot to put a funny emoji at the end of mine. It's all good. It's just that there's a real obvious gorge between the people that want only Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig etc in the hall, and the people that are more for the best of an era. Obviously there has to be a happy medium...I mean, it is called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of only the freakishly talented. :eek:;)

rats60 12-10-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1937721)

Bench had an OPS+ of 126, Simmons 118. If you are going strictly by batting average, Munson was better, so was Manny Sanguillen. I am not aware of any metric that says Simmons was the best hitting catcher of his era.

Peter_Spaeth 12-10-2019 08:59 PM

Doesn't hitting include power?

Mark70Z 12-15-2019 08:25 AM

Hof

To me it was disturbing after Baines; haven’t followed much after. The only ones I like are the three Cuban players. Always thought they were at least borderline and I wouldn’t have any issue with any of them. The others were good, but fall short in my opinion.

clydepepper 12-16-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1939099)
To me it was disturbing after Baines; haven’t followed much after. The only ones I like are the three Cuban players. Always thought they were at least borderline and I wouldn’t have any issue with any of them. The others were good, but fall short in my opinion.

Mark- I'm so glad to read that someone else feels so strongly about Minoso, Tiant and Oliva.

This is a glaring omission!

I thought it was terrible that Minnie was not voted in while he was alive...just like Ron Santo.

There's still time for whoever votes to do the right thing for Luis and Pedro(Tony) - and I remain hopeful it will be done.

Tomi 12-16-2019 05:34 PM

Vada Pinson is a player worth looking at. 18 year career and 2,757 career hits. Solid numbers but never hear his name even mentioned but Baines actually gets in.

Mike D. 12-16-2019 07:52 PM

One thing worth thinking about with Simmons that's different than Baines....where Baines election came out of nowhere, Simmons was only one vote shy last time he was voted on by the vets...and in a year where two other players (Trammell & Morris) were selected. That's a LOT of momentum, for what it's worth.

There weren't many other candidates for "best catcher not in the Hall of Fame"...some liked Munson, and his career trajectory might have gotten him there...tough to say...but Simmons did play 1,000 more games in parts of 10 more seasons.

When it comes to "borderline" guys....longevity matters.

58pinson 12-17-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomi (Post 1939571)
Vada Pinson is a player worth looking at. 18 year career and 2,757 career hits. Solid numbers but never hear his name even mentioned but Baines actually gets in.

From your words to the ears of the powers that be Tomi.

Touch'EmAll 12-17-2019 05:17 PM

ramblings...

A Hall of Famer should be easily recognizable as unquestionably the top 1 or 2 players at a particular position. Y'kinow - a guy that is an all-star most every year for quite a while. Someone who is at least to some minor degree in the discussion to garner regular MVP votes. Someone when you mention their name to a casual baseball fan would reply, "oh, yeah, that guy was really really good." Most importantly, I am looking at players that was actually Famous - its called the Hall of Fame, is it not. Famous for their ultra high talents on the ballfield. Sorry to be a buzz-kill to the "on the fence" guys, but they were exactly that...on the fence guys...not HOF'ers. A player could be genuinely famous for a limited time due to other factors, but none the less truly Famous. I realize some of you are more lenient, and thats ok. But for me I want Famous, someone who raises eyebrows like Wow ! Look at it this way, as a kid collecting cards way back, when I would get a star players card, I was one very happy camper (Seaver, Ryan, Reggie, Bench, Schmidt, Carew type guys). Did y'all WooHoo do the skip dance when you got a Lou Whitaker, Ted Simmons, Harold Baines, Louie Tiant, Tommy John type card?

rats60 12-18-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1939861)
A Hall of Famer should be easily recognizable as unquestionably the top 1 or 2 players at a particular position. Y'kinow - a guy that is an all-star most every year for quite a while. Someone who is at least to some minor degree in the discussion to garner regular MVP votes. Someone when you mention their name to a casual baseball fan would reply, "oh, yeah, that guy was really really good." Most importantly, I am looking at players that was actually Famous - its called the Hall of Fame, is it not. Famous for their ultra high talents on the ballfield. Sorry to be a buzz-kill to the "on the fence" guys, but they were exactly that...on the fence guys...not HOF'ers. A player could be genuinely famous for a limited time due to other factors, but none the less truly Famous. I realize some of you are more lenient, and thats ok. But for me I want Famous, someone who raises eyebrows like Wow ! Look at it this way, as a kid collecting cards way back, when I would get a star players card, I was one very happy camper (Seaver, Ryan, Reggie, Bench, Schmidt, Carew type guys). Did y'all WooHoo do the skip dance when you got a Lou Whitaker, Ted Simmons, Harold Baines, Louie Tiant, Tommy John type card?

Murphy, Mattingly, Munson, Parker and Garvey were all "star players cards" at their peak. They all won MVPs (Murphy 2). Parker 6 top 10 MVPs, Garvey 5, Mattingly and Murphy 4 consecutive top 10s, Munson 3.

Touch'EmAll 12-18-2019 12:24 PM

I will go back and look at stats, but yeah, if Mattingly, Munson, Parker & Garvey won MVP's and were consistent All-Stars, ok I could go for letting them in. How about Whitaker, Ted Simmons, Baines, Tiant & Tommy John - were they also MVP winners (or at least top 3) consistent All-Star for years?

G1911 12-18-2019 03:35 PM

I wouldn't have voted for anyone on the ballot, but all of them are better picks than Baines. I think Garvey would make a very bad selection, but the rest would not lower the standards of the hall or be poor picks, all are just narrowly on the "not quite" line for me.

There are several others, like Pinson, Oliva and Tiant, that could easily fall on either side of the line. Kaat, Vida Blue, McGriff, Dick Allen.

The two that seem to clearly belong to me, who have fallen off the writers ballot, are Minoso and Hodges. Hodges is, or is almost, a hall of famer as a 1st baseman, and after factoring in that he was also a great manager who led the Mets to the WS, he should make it easily just as Joe Torre did. Minoso is a no-brainer in my book.

On the Pre-War side, there are many other borderline guys who could fall either way. Dahlen seems to be the clearly deserving choice, to me.

Ross Barnes and Jim Creighton seem to me the most egregious examples of a players not selected, and with the current ruleset, will not ever be selected.

clydepepper 12-18-2019 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=G1911;1940171]I wouldn't have voted for anyone on the ballot, but all of them are better picks than Baines. I think Garvey would make a very bad selection, but the rest would not lower the standards of the hall or be poor picks, all are just narrowly on the "not quite" line for me.

There are several others, like Pinson, Oliva and Tiant, that could easily fall on either side of the line. Kaat, Vida Blue, McGriff, Dick Allen.

The two that seem to clearly belong to me, who have fallen off the writers ballot, are Minoso and Hodges. Hodges is, or is almost, a hall of famer as a 1st baseman, and after factoring in that he was also a great manager who led the Mets to the WS, he should make it easily just as Joe Torre did. Minoso is a no-brainer in my book.

On the Pre-War side, there are many other borderline guys who could fall either way. Dahlen seems to be the clearly deserving choice, to me.

Ross Barnes and Jim Creighton seem to me the most egregious examples of a players not selected, and with the current ruleset, will not ever be selected.[/QUOTE]

...and Dummy Hoy!

Bram99 12-18-2019 10:28 PM

A couple of reactions

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1939861)
A Hall of Famer should be easily recognizable as unquestionably the top 1 or 2 players at a particular position. Y'kinow - a guy that is an all-star most every year for quite a while. Someone who is at least to some minor degree in the discussion to garner regular MVP votes. Someone when you mention their name to a casual baseball fan would reply, "oh, yeah, that guy was really really good." Most importantly, I am looking at players that was actually Famous. Look at it this way, as a kid collecting cards way back, when I would get a star players card, I was one very happy camper (Seaver, Ryan, Reggie, Bench, Schmidt, Carew type guys). Did y'all WooHoo do the skip dance when you got a Lou Whitaker, Ted Simmons, Harold Baines, Louie Tiant, Tommy John type card?

Not sure I agree with the “famous” test or guys like Valenzuela and Gooden and Marge Schott get in (yes i said guys).

That said, I collected cards as a kid during the time Simmons was in his prime. I would buy a box of cards and sort out the stars who I thought would be HOF candidates for keeping separate and putting into sheets/binders. Sometimes I was wrong about a guy and ended up with a lot of guys who ended up with just pretty good careers like Murphy and Garvey. But never did I sort out and set aside a Ted Simmons card, for what that’s worth. In his day he wasn’t regarded in that conversation.

I wasn’t a kid when Allie Reynolds played and I know the WAR isn’t there but he should be in.

Touch'EmAll 12-19-2019 11:24 AM

If you read my post, a HOF'er is a combination of factors, yes, famous being one of several, not only criteria.