Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Candiman Auctions Explained (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252144)

botn 03-22-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1760039)
I am with Ted. Looking forward to seeing those near mint cards in holders.

Until then I am not convinced these two jokers are totally out to make their business great again....

So far we only have updates from people who do not care if their cards are graded correctly or they won items that were worth a few bucks each. Nobody here has admitted to having bought one of Candiman's higher dollar cards.

NYYFan63 03-22-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipk1068 (Post 1760021)
Look out, look out the Candyman, Here he comes and he's gone again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbHdlplEvw

Very nice SlipK1068. BIG fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jenx34 03-22-2018 08:41 PM

Candiman Update

1 Attachment(s)
I placed some bids on cards I felt comfortable with. Overall, I still don't feel real comfortable with them, but I can't bash the cards themselves. But I didn't buy any high dollar NM cards either. I felt kind of dirty bidding and winning cards from them and still do. Maybe that's fair or not, but it's reality.

1. I paid quickly on Sunday when I got my invoice. Didn't hear anything back from them and there was no update in status in the My Account Section. I emailed Tuesday evening asking for an expected ship date and if their website would update with tracking info. Got crickets. Emailed again on Friday and they replied stating they would send me tracking info the next day. They sent the tracking info, but didn't tell me it was FedEx so all weekend I kept wondering if I got a bogus tracking #. Monday night I got an email from FedEx stating the expected delivery. Would have liked to see a little quicker communication even if just an expected ship date or more timely updates on their site.
2. Cards were packed okay with one exception. I won 8 individual cards + 1 20 card low/mid grade lot of 1955 Topps commons, so 28 cards total. Cards packed in a oversized box with lots of peanuts. Inside was a smaller box with the cards. Individual cards were in either Card Saver I's or top loaders. Graded Cards (3) in a team bag together. The 20 1955's were in a plastic baggie with no other protection. Wasn't a fan of that, but they were packed in the box tightly so I doubt there was any damage. Hell they were lower grade, I wouldn't know anyway.
3. The only "expensive" card I won was a 1953 Topps Satchel Paige VGEX. I could pretty much tell it wasn't VGEX from the pic and bid accordingly. I checked and it measured correctly. I figure it will grade a PSA 2 - PSA 3. I can make a few bucks if it grades a 2, and do okay if it gets a 3. But there is no way in hell it will see a 4. Pic attached. Note the back was fine and similar to the front.
4. The other cards I got were:
- A beater '54 Bowman Pee Wee Reese which I picked up for $5 for a friend.
- 1972 Pete Rose NMMT (I'll have it graded). Card looks nice, but I expect a 7.
- 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly - Mint+ - I grew up a big Mattingly fan so I took a flyer. It's a sharp card, so I could see a nice 8 or 9. I'll send it to PSA, but it's a PC card for sure.
- 1985 Mark McGwire - 1 raw NMMT+ - again, nice card. I could see anything from a 7-9.
Bought 3 low dollar graded cards as well.
So overall, I can't say they did a bad job, but I think they still have a long way to go to win over someone like me who was and is still very skeptical. I know they were busy preparing a lot of orders to ship, but they were also taking the time to buy a lot of cards at the same time. So expect more raw cards in their next auction. More to come on that...

vintagetoppsguy 03-22-2018 08:48 PM

The Paige has decent eye appeal. I would guess a 2.5 or 3.

Jenx34 03-22-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1760121)

That's what I'm hoping. The crease in his cap is more of a wrinkle as you can't see or feel anything from it on the back. The biggest thing that will hurt it is the rounded corners. My guess because of the centering and eye appeal is a 2.5. I probably won't send it in until next month (see what April specials are available) on a 10+ card $10 bulk. But that is a 50-day turnaround now, so it will be awhile before I get results.

slidekellyslide 03-22-2018 10:15 PM

Stuff trumps all.

The end.

NYYFan63 03-22-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenx34 (Post 1760119)
I placed some bids on cards I felt comfortable with. Overall, I still don't feel real comfortable with them, but I can't bash the cards themselves. But I didn't buy any high dollar NM cards either. I felt kind of dirty bidding and winning cards from them and still do. Maybe that's fair or not, but it's reality.

1. I paid quickly on Sunday when I got my invoice. Didn't hear anything back from them and there was no update in status in the My Account Section. I emailed Tuesday evening asking for an expected ship date and if their website would update with tracking info. Got crickets. Emailed again on Friday and they replied stating they would send me tracking info the next day. They sent the tracking info, but didn't tell me it was FedEx so all weekend I kept wondering if I got a bogus tracking #. Monday night I got an email from FedEx stating the expected delivery. Would have liked to see a little quicker communication even if just an expected ship date or more timely updates on their site.

2. Cards were packed okay with one exception. I won 8 individual cards + 1 20 card low/mid grade lot of 1955 Topps commons, so 28 cards total. Cards packed in a oversized box with lots of peanuts. Inside was a smaller box with the cards. Individual cards were in either Card Saver I's or top loaders. Graded Cards (3) in a team bag together. The 20 1955's were in a plastic baggie with no other protection. Wasn't a fan of that, but they were packed in the box tightly so I doubt there was any damage. Hell they were lower grade, I wouldn't know anyway.

3. The only "expensive" card I won was a 1953 Topps Satchel Paige VGEX. I could pretty much tell it wasn't VGEX from the pic and bid accordingly. I checked and it measured correctly. I figure it will grade a PSA 2 - PSA 3. I can make a few bucks if it grades a 2, and do okay if it gets a 3. But there is no way in hell it will see a 4. Pic attached. Note the back was fine and similar to the front.

4. The other cards I got were:

- A beater '54 Bowman Pee Wee Reese which I picked up for $5 for a friend.

- 1972 Pete Rose NMMT (I'll have it graded). Card looks nice, but I expect a 7.

- 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly - Mint+ - I grew up a big Mattingly fan so I took a flyer. It's a sharp card, so I could see a nice 8 or 9. I'll send it to PSA, but it's a PC card for sure.

- 1985 Mark McGwire - 1 raw NMMT+ - again, nice card. I could see anything from a 7-9.

Bought 3 low dollar graded cards as well.

So overall, I can't say they did a bad job, but I think they still have a long way to go to win over someone like me who was and is still very skeptical. I know they were busy preparing a lot of orders to ship, but they were also taking the time to buy a lot of cards at the same time. So expect more raw cards in their next auction. More to come on that...

How do you know they were buying a lot of raw cards?

bobbyw8469 03-23-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1760121)

I was an underbidder on that Paige. I just didn't see it getting higher than a '2' if it was unaltered, and with the backstory on the cards, the odds were pretty good that some of those might come back "A". I bid accordingly.

vintagetoppsguy 03-23-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1760192)
I just didn't see it getting higher than a '2' if it was unaltered

I'm not sure how they would grade that right border. Would that be considered paper loss or chipping? If they consider it chipping, I can see it getting a 3, maybe even a 3.5. If it's paper loss, maybe even as low as a 1.5. I don't submit to PSA, so I'm not familiar with their grading standards.

bobbyw8469 03-23-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1760297)
I'm not sure how they would grade that right border. Would that be considered paper loss or chipping? If they consider it chipping, I can see it getting a 3, maybe even a 3.5. If it's paper loss, maybe even as low as a 1.5. I don't submit to PSA, so I'm not familiar with their grading standards.

They consider it "chipping", but I was looking at the four corners and the creased corner on the bottom right. They are too fuzzy. I bet money it would grade a '2', give or take a half. No way was it a '4' like they described. Plus it has a wrinkle running from the top down thru his cap. If the card '3's, I would sell it as quick as I could before the grader changed his mind.

1952boyntoncollector 03-23-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1760303)
They consider it "chipping", but I was looking at the four corners and the creased corner on the bottom right. They are too fuzzy. I bet money it would grade a '2', give or take a half. No way was it a '4' like they described. Plus it has a wrinkle running from the top down thru his cap. If the card '3's, I would sell it as quick as I could before the grader changed his mind.

so you are saying they didnt describe the card accurately at all to say its a 4..with zero chance to be a 4...or at least 99 out of a 100 chance.....

bobbyw8469 03-23-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1760337)
so you are saying they didnt describe the card accurately at all to say its a 4..with zero chance to be a 4...or at least 99 out of a 100 chance.....

I'm saying that card will not '4'. It will probably '2'...the winning bidder thinks it will '2' and would be pleased with a '3' grade. Based upon where they got the cards from, let's hope the cards grade at all. Not a knock against Candiman, but their relatives were pure shysters. No, I'm not a professional grader, but I have sent enough cards to PSA that I know what they look for.

Jenx34 03-23-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1760341)
I'm saying that card will not '4'. It will probably '2'...the winning bidder thinks it will '2' and would be pleased with a '3' grade. Based upon where they got the cards from, let's hope the cards grade at all. Not a knock against Candiman, but their relatives were pure shysters. No, I'm not a professional grader, but I have sent enough cards to PSA that I know what they look for.

In response to the previous poster you replied to, I would say yeah, they over graded the card. I see 0% of a chance it will grade a 4. The corners are just too rounded. I bid and paid figuring I would be okay if it graded a 2, but hopeful for a 2.5 or 3. I'd be shocked and very happy if it sees a 3.5, but that is not my expectation. The chipping, the wrinkle, the rounding corners, etc all fit within PSA's guidelines for a 3. But add them all up and it could easily see a 2 or 2.5 because it is well centered and the surface and color is actually pretty nice.

I will certainly report back when I get it back from PSA, but unfortunately that's probably 3 months from now. Of course there is worry it doesn't grade. If it doesn't then we will truly see if they will back their words.

Batpig 03-23-2018 03:56 PM

I wouldn't worry about that card not grading. It doesn't fit the Battlefield standard for cracked auths. For that situation they pretty much stuck to cards that looked NM or better.

Jenx34 03-23-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batpig (Post 1760350)
I wouldn't worry about that card not grading. It doesn't fit the Battlefield standard for cracked auths. For that situation they pretty much stuck to cards that looked NM or better.

That was pretty much my thinking when I bid on it. Of course, one never knows.

Peter_Spaeth 03-23-2018 04:39 PM

I think 2.5, gets the half grade for nice centering. Good luck to you.

Republicaninmass 03-23-2018 04:47 PM

Doesn't mean the lower edge hasn't been touched up. It's hard to tell if there is bleeding to the edge. Did you blacklight it?

ezez420 03-28-2018 06:40 AM

Agree with Peter. 2.5 and not more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 03-28-2018 02:14 PM

I had hoped there would be more feedback on the cards, particularly the higher end ones. I don't feel that at this point, I know any more than I did before the auction.

bobbyw8469 03-28-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1762024)
I had hoped there would be more feedback on the cards, particularly the higher end ones. I don't feel that at this point, I know any more than I did before the auction.

Personally, I chose to stay away from the NM/MT specimens. I am curious as well though, but I'm sure people won't know until they come back from PSA. In 4-5 months, I expect results to come trickling in.

Peter_Spaeth 03-28-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1762026)
Personally, I chose to stay away from the NM/MT specimens. I am curious as well though, but I'm sure people won't know until they come back from PSA. In 4-5 months, I expect results to come trickling in.

I am sure many if not most guys here can detect an obvious flaw that wasn't apparent from the scan, without needing PSA to tell them about it. I might not be able to detect expert microtrimming, but I could certainly tell if corners had more wear than the scan and grade suggested, or if there were wrinkles or stains, etc. etc.

Jenx34 03-28-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1762024)

Peter, I think you're right. I gave the feedback I could, but I didn't delve into any of the higher end stuff. I did make a roughly $300 bid for one of the 1960 raw Mantle's but got outbid late. My only purchase where there could be good feedback is on that '53 Satchell Paige, but even that is limited. I participated, but still don't feel comfortable jumping in with both feet with them.

I'll wait until April 7 and see what they are offering in their next auction and I may have some good info for you on the cards they may offer. I have some info but I would rather wait to see what cards they post and how they list them before going deeper.

Jenx34 03-28-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1762026)

The only NMMT cards I won were a 1972 Pete Rose, 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly and 1985 Topps McGwire. I'd be surprised if any grades less than a 7, so I would have to give them a pass there, but those are low dollar "newer" cards.

I'll be submitting those 3 and the '53 Paige early in April. So we'll know by maybe late July?

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-28-2018 03:14 PM

Like a lot of others I only bid on lower end stuff. I won most of the Berk Ross cards.

iowadoc77 03-28-2018 03:52 PM

Maybe someone will go to a show and get a card graded on site, but unlikely due to on-site fees

bnorth 03-28-2018 04:43 PM

I will say as one of the morons who stuck up for Daniel I STILL have not received my cards or even a tracking # that they are on the way.:mad:

ezez420 03-28-2018 04:50 PM

Really? I thought he was good sending out to people. I got mine no problem

Peter_Spaeth 03-28-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1762077)
I will say as one of the morons who stuck up for Daniel I STILL have not received my cards or even a tracking # that they are on the way.:mad:

Ben sorry to hear that. Have you called or written?

bnorth 03-28-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1762094)
Ben sorry to hear that. Have you called or written?

Emailed with no response yet.

EDIT: Just heard back and they are being sent out tomorrow. I sent a check and knew it would be delayed but didn't figure it would be this long.

Peter_Spaeth 03-28-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1762099)
Emailed with no response yet.

EDIT: Just heard back and they are being sent out tomorrow. I sent a check and knew it would be delayed but didn't figure it would be this long.

Good.

Peter_Spaeth 03-29-2018 07:18 PM

cross reference

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253180

ALR-bishop 03-30-2018 06:41 AM

heh