Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Story to share… Fergie, pick your own fave (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=308605)

Belfast1933 10-01-2021 04:31 PM

Story to share… Fergie, pick your own fave

1 Attachment(s)
So, I was bored watching last night’s awful Red Sox game in my card cave and noticed that my Fergie Jenkins card in my HOF display was his 76 card with the Rangers… pretty boring. Not worthy of my “one and only” card for each player.

So, on a whim, I found Fergie on twitter and sent him a tweet (did not mean to make it public - am a novice tweeter, obviously) and offered to HIM to tell ME what his own favorite card is of himself.

Pretty cool since about an hour or two later he responded and said that after his rookie card, his own fave is his 1967 Topps card.

Way cool, Fergie! And I am now obsessed on EBay trying to find the best ‘67 Topps Fergie Jenkins I can afford to take its place of honor in my “card cave” - now, with a great story to tell when I torture my friends and family with a tour of my collection.

I hope this starts a trend! (I just tweeted/asked Rod Carew the same question…)

Here’s the “before” Fergie… will post an after as soon as I find the perfect one!

Happy weekend, all.

Jeff

JollyElm 10-01-2021 04:36 PM

That's really cool!!!

Tao_Moko 10-01-2021 04:42 PM

Ofcourse it's in a Cubs uniform. Now, I like him even more.

kmac32 10-01-2021 05:04 PM

Fergie is a great guy. He was my locker mate my first year at Cubs camp. Easy to talk to and even won a championship with him as my coach one of the 5 years I went. My favorite memory of him was at the banquet, I wasn’t paying attention and he asked if he and his wife could sit and have dinner with my wife and myself. I didn’t hear him so my wife elbowed me and said Fergie and Lydia wanted to have dinner with us. You do not tell a hall of famer no! So we had dinner with Fergie and his wife. Loved it.

scotgreb 10-01-2021 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Fergie in my HOF collection . . .

Attachment 481147

SteveS 10-01-2021 05:22 PM

What a great story! Maybe you can print out the tweet and display it with the card. It certainly makes it more valuable, not necessarily from a financial standpoint, but on a personal level, which is more important.

Arazi4442 10-01-2021 06:38 PM

Really cool, let us know if you get a response from Rod Carew as well!

Leon 10-04-2021 11:02 AM

Cool story...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast1933 (Post 2149953)
So, I was bored watching last night’s awful Red Sox game in my card cave and noticed that my Fergie Jenkins card in my HOF display was his 76 card with the Rangers… pretty boring. Not worthy of my “one and only” card for each player.

So, on a whim, I found Fergie on twitter and sent him a tweet (did not mean to make it public - am a novice tweeter, obviously) and offered to HIM to tell ME what his own favorite card is of himself.

Pretty cool since about an hour or two later he responded and said that after his rookie card, his own fave is his 1967 Topps card.

Way cool, Fergie! And I am now obsessed on EBay trying to find the best ‘67 Topps Fergie Jenkins I can afford to take its place of honor in my “card cave” - now, with a great story to tell when I torture my friends and family with a tour of my collection.

I hope this starts a trend! (I just tweeted/asked Rod Carew the same question…)

Here’s the “before” Fergie… will post an after as soon as I find the perfect one!

Happy weekend, all.

Jeff

D. Bergin 10-04-2021 11:14 AM

That '67 is really a great looking card of him. No wonder it's his favorite.

mrreality68 10-04-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2149964)
What a great story! Maybe you can print out the tweet and display it with the card. It certainly makes it more valuable, not necessarily from a financial standpoint, but on a personal level, which is more important.

agreed
print it out, take picture or something of the twitter tweet this is very cool and very cool of him

Klrdds 10-04-2021 03:37 PM

Great story and I'm sure you'll never forget that along with your other Fergie memories . Met him a few times and always friendly.
I wonder how many other players , let alone HOFers would've have responded so quickly or even responded at all ?

jingram058 10-05-2021 03:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My favorite Ferguson Jenkins card. One of my all-time favorite ballplayers. I saw the Cubs in 1973 against the Reds at Wrigley Field. He didn't pitch, but I saw him. Here are a couple of my souvenirs from that game. The ball is a pre-print my sister bought for me at one of the concession or souvenir stands.

IgnatiusJReilly 10-05-2021 04:15 PM

That's awesome! Fergie is great and the 67 is my favorite card of him too because the 67 design is great and its his first in a Cubs uni!

Here's mine:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...969354be_c.jpg1967_Jenkins_1 by boosandpearl, on Flickr

Harliduck 10-05-2021 11:59 PM

So cool...what a great story! My favorite is the 69 Topps...but 67 comes in close right behind...Fergie had great taste! Love these kind of stories...great job!