Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Reggie Jackson Auto....what's the chance this is legit? My hopes are not high (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287898)

whitehse 08-22-2020 11:30 PM

Reggie Jackson Auto....what's the chance this is legit? My hopes are not high

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone.

I sent this to Reggie Jackson in what was probably around 1979 or so and received this autograph back. I have seen several Reggie's and even got him at the 1984 National League playoffs at Wrigley when he was announcing for NBC (A real turd by the way) but I feel this may be a secretarial. Any chance this is legit?

Thanks in advance.

roarfrom34 08-23-2020 07:27 AM

unfortunately no good

whitehse 08-23-2020 08:06 AM

Thanks Bill. I assumed as much but just needed confirmation.

MooseDog 08-23-2020 09:49 AM

No good. Generally when you see an inscription from Reggie it will have come from a paid signing or someone he knows personally. At paid signings he will almost always give a gorgeous careful signature.

An aside...with the A's Reggie was always elusive, but every now and then he would give in and sign a few.

Reggie is one of those people that exudes "star power" and he knows it. Not defending him but he's always been very defensive about his space and puts up a really gruff exterior to the public to keep people at a distance.

On on one or in a small group he can be really engaging and funny, and he's one of the smartest athletes I've ever met.

Case12 08-23-2020 06:10 PM

Love him. But he was a jerk to me and my kid. At a paid signing I had my kid try to get his attention and take the ball and say thank you. Reggie never looked at us, set the ball on the table, and kept talking to the person next to him.

whitehse 08-24-2020 07:43 AM

I have heard there is a good Reggie and a bad Reggie. Some friends got to meet him in a setting that was very informal with just a few people and they said he was quite engaging but my experience was that he was a bit of a turd.

I was working for the Chicago Cubs during much of the '80's both in security and eventually in the front office and on the first playoff game in 1984 I was asked to hang out in the VIP parking lot to help facilitate getting people where they needed to go. I looked up and saw a limo headed towards me and when it stopped out stepped Reggie Jackson, larger than life. He stepped out of the limo, looked at the flags at the top of the old ballpark pointing directly out to center field and then looked me straight in the eye and said "the wind is blowing out and your Cubs are going to get their asses beat today".

I was wearing my Cubs front office jacket and had a walkie in my hand so there was no doubt I was with the team and always thought that was just so rude of him to say that. But the Cubs got the better of him that day as the wind was indeed blowing out and the Cubs beat the Padres asses that day 13-0. I saw Reggie the next day and made a point to let him know how wrong he was with his prediction. Needless to say he wasn't happy with my assessment of his baseball acumen.

pclpads 08-24-2020 10:08 AM

Once a turd, always a . . .

Back in the '90's, my sister-in-law was a United stew. He was on her flight once and she got him to sign a cocktail napkin, personalized to me. No issues. Maybe showing some leg and a short skirt helped? My sig isn't close to yours, particularly comparing the "R" and "J." So, I think your sig is bad. My own "Reggie moment" took place maybe 30 years ago at the SF Labor Day show at the Moscone. He was accompanied by a throng of black muscled thugs running interference for him down the aisles. The obvious message was, "get the f*** out of the way." Any collector foolish enough to enter his bubble would get knocked down like a ten pin. My lasting impression of him is, when it is so easy to be nice to people, why be a turd? From the above posts, sadly, some things never change. :(

71buc 08-26-2020 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"accompanied by a throng of black muscled thugs" Thier skin color and musculature were observable but how could you tell they were thugs?

I have never met Reggie Jackson. I paid for him to sign a game used bat at the national last year. He acknowledged me, asked me where I got it, stood and swung it, then signed it and handed it back I reminded him about the Mr. October inscription I paid for. He apologized and confirmed I paid for it. Then added the inscription. The bat looked better than I hoped. He was highly professional and It was a business transaction nothing more and nothing less.

mr2686 08-26-2020 12:39 PM

I've met Reggie at shows on numerous occasions. The first time he was kinda a jerk, but he has been better and better each time. The last time in 2008 at the Hall of Fame he was down right friendly.

scmavl 09-04-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 2011369)
Back in the '90's, my sister-in-law was a United stew. He was on her flight once and she got him to sign a cocktail napkin, personalized to me. No issues. Maybe showing some leg and a short skirt helped? My sig isn't close to yours, particularly comparing the "R" and "J." So, I think your sig is bad. My own "Reggie moment" took place maybe 30 years ago at the SF Labor Day show at the Moscone. He was accompanied by a throng of black muscled thugs running interference for him down the aisles. The obvious message was, "get the f*** out of the way." Any collector foolish enough to enter his bubble would get knocked down like a ten pin. My lasting impression of him is, when it is so easy to be nice to people, why be a turd? From the above posts, sadly, some things never change. :(

I'm really stumped as to why you are calling him a turd? He signed a napkin for your sister-in-law, and then you saw him with security guards. I'm missing the part where your experience was bad.

He was in town at the local minor league park for a playoff game a couple of years ago (just as an honorary attendee, not a signing), and a collector friend of mine asked him to sign THREE balls, and do you know what Reggie said? "Sure." My buddy said he was very cordial, and he gave me one of the signed balls.