Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I'm in financial trouble-what would you do? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=186842)

Tomman1961 04-23-2014 10:23 AM

I'm in financial trouble-what would you do?

All:
I am 52 years old. I was all set for early retirement when my cancer bills depleted us. Now I just lost my job due to "down-sizing". Anyway - what would you do? I have complete Plyaball sets-but it is hard to part with them. My uncle started them in 1939. I finished them in 1982. I am parting with my T206 Cobb. I loved the card, but he sat in the safe. Waste of money. Then there is my 1955 Clemente. My Dad just died. And the story of the Clemente is I had to have it when I saw it at the card show. My Dad was with me. We pooled all our $ together and I bought it for $40. It was also a coin show. My Dad collected coins. Many years later he told me he gave me all his money from his wallet and did not buy the coin. He lent me his money and I have a PSA 8 Clemente. Nice $ that I need now. Please convince me to sell this card. But it is a card I bought with some of the $ that Dad wanted to use for himself. Stupid piece of cardboard. A lot of $ involved. I need the $. Memories attached.

darkhorse9 04-23-2014 12:23 PM

I hate so much that this happened to you. These decisions are never easy.

I can only pass along my thoughts and they are only right for me. I could never hope to tell someone how they should or should not feel about anything.

My advise to myself would be...the memories are just that. They will always be there. I would feel the same if I lost everything in a fire. Live for today, plan for tomorrow, remember yesterday.

Harliduck 04-23-2014 01:15 PM

I think darkhorse nailed it...and I too am truly sorry to hear about your situation.

If the Clemente memory means that much too you, and it would me as well, I would sell the 55 (you know your Dad would want you too just based on the little you told us about him) and purchase a nice 73 Topps to keep to remind you of all the memories. That card is at the end of the career, is a memorial card with deep feelings...and I think would be a good conduit to your 55 and your Dad. It's what I would do.

I have MANY cards with tremendous meaning to me as well...but if my family was in need I wouldn't think twice about parting with them. In fact, I look at them as sort of a stop gap insurance plan if needed...and sounds like you need it. Sell the cards...use the money to get back on your feet...get a new and better job (you can do it) and be thankful you had something that filled your gap. Once back on your feet...all those cards will be waiting for you if you chose to get back in. Whats beautiful about this hobby is there are rewarding ways for fulfillment with any budget. You may find just as much pleasure as your Cobb and Playballs as you would in putting together a 73 Topps set for example.

Again, sorry your in this situation...but I think you said it best...stupid ol' cardboard...:o

CamaroDMD 04-23-2014 01:26 PM

I hate to read stories like this. I'm really sorry that you are going through this.

I don't think anybody and truly give you the answer to this situation, you know exactly what your situation is so ultimately that will dictate what you do. That said, perhaps we can help put it into perspective.

I'm sure that 1955 Clemente means the world to you. I have a couple cards from my dad that I cherish too. My dad is still living and he didn't give me his whole budget out of his wallet so I could have it. So, there is a lot more to your card to hold onto than mine. So, I understand you don't want to let it go.

It sounds to me, based on this story alone, your father was someone who would sacrifice something for you. That is a wonderful thing, he was obviously a caring father and that memory probably means more to you than the card. I highly doubt someone like that would want you suffer this much over an item. Remember, if you do end up selling it...you loose the card itself but who get to keep the memories and the love that goes with it.

Perhaps there is an alternative too. Do you have any close collector friends? If so, maybe one of them would buy the card from you on the condition that if you eventually get your financials straightened out and can afford it, you can buy it back. I am always leary of these situations...as that person could sell it to someone else or anything could happen. But, think of it this way. If you sell it to a stranger...you will never get it back...if you work out a deal with someone like this you might.

No matter what happens, you will always get to keep the memories and the love that goes with the card.

baseballfan 04-23-2014 02:20 PM

sorry for your troubles, hope they ease up sooner then later.

I would sell the card you have to do what you have to do, for your family, as your father did all those years ago. its a great story but you can't take these cards with you, we are really just holding them for the next person.

the story and memory is the real prize not the card, that you will always have to treasure.

good luck and god speed

fm

h2oya311 04-23-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballfan (Post 1268439)
I would sell the card you have to do what you have to do, for your family, as your father did all those years ago. its a great story but you can't take these cards with you, we are really just holding them for the next person.

the story and memory is the real prize not the card, that you will always have to treasure.

good luck and god speed

fm

My sentiments exactly!! Let us know what you end up doing. I am sure that some day I will face the same dilemma. In fact, all of us will in some capacity. All the best. Hope your troubles are only monetary and that your health issues have subsided!!

Derek

hammer 04-23-2014 04:39 PM

Try to keep the 55 clemente that card is a great investment and the value just keeps going up. I sold mine a couple years back and I kind of regret it now.

Tomman1961 04-23-2014 06:54 PM

CamaroDMD said:

"It sounds to me, based on this story alone, your father was someone who would sacrifice something for you."

You are correct. He worked at the Ford Assembly plant for 25 years in NJ. Started by putting tires on cars on the graveyard shift. Retired as head QC inspector on the grave yard shift. I asked him why he chose those hours? "The money was better on that shift. I got a lot of OT when the next shift had someone call in sick-I grabbed every minute ($) I could because I was responsible to raise my family".
Yup. Dad sacrificed a major part of his life to make a better one for me, my sister and his wife. Almost hit their 59th year.
Decision made. Cobb will be gone in a week. Clemente gets scanned and mailed as it was sold this afternoon at a price that i am more than happy with.
Tom)The Tomman)

Exhibitman 04-24-2014 06:40 AM

Don't feel too badly about it. The cards are just stuff and stuff can be replaced. What can't be replaced is manning up and doing what you have to do for your family. That is the sort of 'stuff' that means something.

hcv123 04-24-2014 07:13 AM

All that needs to have been said was said. Best wishes in healing your body first and then your financial situation.

pawpawdiv9 04-25-2014 03:36 PM

Sell it.
Personally i would send to a major auction house. Maybe talk to someone and tell them your story. Perhaps they could write a nice piece to go with the pic in their catalog. This way you still have your memories and a keepsake piece and $$ for your need of time.
Best Wishes.