Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Awful songs you just can't get enough of (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309840)

earlywynnfan 10-31-2021 07:50 PM

Awful songs you just can't get enough of

I have to admit, the music threads on this forum have been some of my favorites. I am hoping you guys wouldn't mind if I started another.

Today the Dear Wife and I were riding in the car, and a song I just can't get enough of came on, one of those "guilty pleasures." So I cranked it up and started singing, surely way off key. My wife said "If you're going to listen to this, at least roll up the windows!" And then she actually slid down in her seat!!

The song? "I Think I Love You" by the Partridge Family. I know it's awful, but I just have to listen to it every time it comes on. I'd like to think I have good taste in music, don't know where this one comes from.

Does anyone else have a particular song that's probably embarrassing, but you just don't care??

butchie_t 10-31-2021 08:00 PM

The Cowsills - Indian Lake

Peter_Spaeth 10-31-2021 08:31 PM

My Sharona.

GasHouseGang 10-31-2021 10:53 PM

In a similar vein, for me it's "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies.

earlywynnfan 11-01-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2159286)

Sad to say, I've always loved that song

TUM301 11-01-2021 09:08 AM

Terry Jacks, Seasons In The Sun.

Wihawk 11-01-2021 09:52 AM

Tough to admit and I applaud the rest of you for your admissions. Ohio Express "Yummy Yummy". Please don't ban me from the group but I like that song.

butchie_t 11-01-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wihawk (Post 2159392)
Tough to admit and I applaud the rest of you for your admissions. Ohio Express "Yummy Yummy". Please don't ban me from the group but I like that song.

hahahahaahah, no way that is a banable offense. A perfect selection to add to the list.

Peter_Spaeth 11-01-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 2159365)
Terry Jacks, Seasons In The Sun.

Indeed. As a junior high schooler it seemed so profound lol.

Cliff Bowman 11-01-2021 12:12 PM

Two from 1972, ‘How Do You Do?’ by Mouth & McNeal and ‘Beautiful Sunday’ by Daniel Boone. I would include ‘Get Down’ by Gilbert O’Sullivan, ‘Sky High’ by Jigsaw, and ‘Magic’ by Pilot but I actually think those are good songs :D.

ALR-bishop 11-01-2021 01:52 PM

The Night Chicago Died, Paper Lace

GasHouseGang 11-01-2021 04:04 PM

I had another come to mind that I liked as a kid, but now wonder "what was I thinking". I looked it up, and strangely enough, it was a hit by Paper Lace in England, but then a hit in the U.S. by Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods. The song is Billy Don't Be A Hero. I actually owned the 45 record.

ocjack 11-01-2021 04:04 PM

They played Take a Chance On Me by ABBA the other night on tv and I couldn't get that damn song out of my mind all night. Almost as bad as It's a Small World at Disney. Praying for a better night.

ocjack 11-01-2021 05:19 PM

Too late. I'm already humming it. Damn!

Kevin 11-01-2021 06:36 PM

nothing compares 2 u - sinead o’connor

Always gets me.

But, to this day, I have yet to listen to an Adele song start to finish (unless I’m in Stop & Shop and it’s pumped in…but that doesn’t count).

Peter_Spaeth 11-01-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2159501)

I always associate that song with an equally bad one, Beach Baby by First Class.

edtiques 11-01-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2159286)

When I was a kid I traded my Archies album for Jimi Hendrix's "Are you experienced".

My parents said I was never the same after that.

My guilty pleasure song is by the 1910 Fruitgum company "1,2 3, Red Light". It's a horrible song but for some reason I still like it.

GasHouseGang 11-01-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2159641)
I always associate that song with an equally bad one, Beach Baby by First Class.

But I like Beach Baby. There, I said it! :p

Peter_Spaeth 11-01-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2159651)
But I like Beach Baby. There, I said it! :p

Surely one of the worst songs ever. Right there with Thunder Island by Jay Ferguson. Sha la la la la la, my lady. Around that same time Steve Miller had several songs with absolutely embarrassingly bad lyrics, although some of the tunes were good.

earlywynnfan 11-01-2021 08:07 PM

Did you say bad lyrics?? Top this:

"Gliddy glub gloopy, nibby nabby noopy la, la, la, lo, lo
Sabba sibby sabba, nooby abba nabba, le, le, lo, lo
Tooby ooby walla, nooby abba naba
Early mornin' singin' song

Can you hear me singin' a song, lovin' a song, singin' a song
Lovin' a song, laughin' a song, singin' a song
Sing a song, song a sing, song, song, song, sing
Sing, sing, sing song

Song, song, song sing, sing, sing, sing song
Sing, sing, song, sing a song
Yeah, you can sing, sing, sing song, sing a song
Sing"

This is definitely an awful song that many like.

Peter_Spaeth 11-01-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 2159668)
Did you say bad lyrics?? Top this:

"Gliddy glub gloopy, nibby nabby noopy la, la, la, lo, lo
Sabba sibby sabba, nooby abba nabba, le, le, lo, lo
Tooby ooby walla, nooby abba naba
Early mornin' singin' song

Can you hear me singin' a song, lovin' a song, singin' a song
Lovin' a song, laughin' a song, singin' a song
Sing a song, song a sing, song, song, song, sing
Sing, sing, sing song

Song, song, song sing, sing, sing, sing song
Yeah, you can sing, sing, sing song, sing a song
Sing"

This is definitely an awful song that many like.

The tune was catchy.

Peter_Spaeth 11-01-2021 08:29 PM

These are just.. bad.

Leaving home, out on the road
I've been down before
Riding along on this big old jet plane
I've been thinking about my home
But my love light seems so far away
And I feel like it's all been done
Somebody's trying to make me stay
You know I got to be moving on
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
'Cause it's here that I've got to stay
Goodbye to all my friends at home
Goodbye to people I've trusted
I've got to go out and make my way
I might get rich, you know, I might get busted
But my heart keeps calling me backwards
As I get on the 707
Riding high, I got tears in my eyes
You know you got to go through hell before you get to heaven
Big ol' jet airliner
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Touching down in New England town
Feel the heat coming down
I've got to keep on keeping on
You know the big wheel keeps a-spinning around
And I'm going with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don't want to get caught up in any of that
Funky shit going down in the city
Big ol' jet airliner
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Big ol' jet airliner
Woah-oh, big ol' jet airliner
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Carry me to my home
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
'Cause it's there that I belong

Mark17 11-02-2021 08:42 AM

I am cursed with this thing running on a loop inside my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxQmo_HLrU

TUM301 11-02-2021 10:47 AM

Another classic, The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia. That`s the nite they hung an innocent man............

butchie_t 11-02-2021 11:20 AM

I have a Goth input way before Goth was even a thing:

DOA - By Bloodrock (and yes, it pops into my head around Halloween every year.)

Laying here, looking out the ceiling, someone puts a sheet across my chest.
Something warm is flowing out my body, pain is flowing out with my blood......

I remember, we were flying low, and hit something in the air.....

You're welcome, I am here all week.

I am a fan of Zappa too, but all of his songs were good IMHO. First concert I ever went to was Zappa's Overnight Sensation Tour.

huzzah.

irv 11-02-2021 04:08 PM

I like a lot of the songs listed so far so I really wouldn't call them awful songs, personally.

Mark's song, however, is another story but not a chance it'd get stuck in my head as, just like now, I gave it about 5 seconds before I clicked the X in the top right corner.

irv 11-02-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2159833)
I have a Goth input way before Goth was even a thing:

DOA - By Bloodrock (and yes, it pops into my head around Halloween every year.)

Laying here, looking out the ceiling, someone puts a sheet across my chest.
Something warm is flowing out my body, pain is flowing out with my blood......

I remember, we were flying low, and hit something in the air.....

You're welcome, I am here all week.

I am a fan of Zappa too, but all of his songs were good IMHO. First concert I ever went to was Zappa's Overnight Sensation Tour.

huzzah.

I was never really a fan of Zappa's until 2 friends dragged me to see him at a concert in Toronto many years ago.
I was completely blown away by how talented and tight Zappa and the band were.
One of the best concerts I ever seen, but that is where it ended, other than listening to Joe's Garage occasionally.

frankbmd 11-02-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2159501)

No longer an oldie, but a daily.

Mark17 11-02-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2159915)

Mark's song, however, is another story but not a chance it'd get stuck in my head as, just like now, I gave it about 5 seconds before I clicked the X in the top right corner.

A few years ago they played that thing frequently on TV as a public service ad for getting kids to brush their teeth. The guy in the green outfit would step forward and deliver that message during their song.

So, not by choice, I was exposed to it over and over and it keeps coming back to me. I wish I had an X to click on my head to get rid of it.

mark evans 11-02-2021 08:53 PM

Anything by Abba. High-end bubble gum.

bnorth 11-02-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2159921)
I was never really a fan of Zappa's until 2 friends dragged me to see him at a concert in Toronto many years ago.
I was completely blown away by how talented and tight Zappa and the band were.
One of the best concerts I ever seen, but that is where it ended, other than listening to Joe's Garage occasionally.

You are a music hater if you don't like Joe's Garage.:D

I was the same with Alice Cooper. Never liked his mediocre at best music but man can that guy can put on a show. I still don't care for his music but would watch him in concert again anytime.

Jim65 11-02-2021 09:15 PM

Waterloo by ABBA :)

irv 11-02-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2160026)
You are a music hater if you don't like Joe's Garage.:D

I was the same with Alice Cooper. Never liked his mediocre at best music but man can that guy can put on a show. I still don't care for his music but would watch him in concert again anytime.

No, Joe's garage is a great song. There are few others that I don't mind, but for the most part, it is not my type of music.

Alice Cooper was also a great concert and to this day I love most of his early stuff. Ballad of Dwight Fry, schools out, only women bleed, is it my body, cold Ethal. The list goes on and on.

bnorth 11-02-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2160030)
No, Joe's garage is a great song. There are few others that I don't mind, but for the most part, it is not my type of music.

Alice Cooper was also a great concert and to this day I love most of his early stuff. Ballad of Dwight Fry, schools out, only women bleed, is it my body, cold Ethal. The list goes on and on.

LOL, I am a stick in the mud music listener. I listen to Frank Zappa, AC/DC, and The Beastie Boys and nothing else. The Frank Zappa cd has been in my pickups cd player for several months. Someday I will switch it out. When I mow I pull up youtube on my phone and it is so used to me the only options it gives me are the 3 bands listed above.

This song is one of those horrible songs that for some reason I couldn't help but sing along with during the commercials.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_frUdiqYE

irv 11-03-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2159965)
A few years ago they played that thing frequently on TV as a public service ad for getting kids to brush their teeth. The guy in the green outfit would step forward and deliver that message during their song.

So, not by choice, I was exposed to it over and over and it keeps coming back to me. I wish I had an X to click on my head to get rid of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2160032)
LOL, I am a stick in the mud music listener. I listen to Frank Zappa, AC/DC, and The Beastie Boys and nothing else. The Frank Zappa cd has been in my pickups cd player for several months. Someday I will switch it out. When I mow I pull up youtube on my phone and it is so used to me the only options it gives me are the 3 bands listed above.

This song is one of those horrible songs that for some reason I couldn't help but sing along with during the commercials.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_frUdiqYE

Thankfully those commercials aren't/weren't played up here as far as I know.
I believe if they were played on the T.V. or the radio I would change the station right quick. :D

Snapolit1 11-03-2021 07:39 AM

I was lucky enough to grow up in a town with its own little radio station in the 70s. I was glued to the radio all hours of the day, both for music and sports talk radio. And particularly dial in contests, which I won about 150 times. (40 years later I still have the phone number memorized.) A few contributions.

Magic by Pilot

Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphey

I'm Not in Love by 10cc

You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer

edtiques 11-03-2021 07:56 AM

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned any Monkee songs. I'm a believer, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Daydream Believer are a few that come to mind.

https://youtu.be/sUzs5dlLrm0

bnorth 11-03-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2160086)
Thankfully those commercials aren't/weren't played up here as far as I know.
I believe if they were played on the T.V. or the radio I would change the station right quick. :D

Luckily the commercial for hair coloring was only on for maybe two weeks. Unfortunately it was every third commercial. I find the woman who sings it very attractive so I didn't change the channel.:)

nolemmings 11-03-2021 11:27 AM

Some of those mentioned are not awful at all, IMO. I'm a Believer and Pleasant Valley Sunday? Really? Those were and are good tunes.

Some I find hideously bad, in no particular order:

1: Heaven on the 7th Floor
2: Chevy Van
3. Me and you and a dog named Boo
4: Watching Scotty Grow
5: Having my Baby
6: You light up my life
7: Angie Baby

Then of course there's Louie Louie, which at least is a good drinking song.

edtiques 11-03-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2160171)
Some of those mentioned are not awful at all, IMO. I'm a Believer and Pleasant Valley Sunday? Really? Those were and are good tunes.

Some I find hideously bad:

1: Heaven on the 7th Floor
2: Chevy Van
3. Me and you and a dog named Boo
4: Watching Scotty Grow
5: Having my Baby
6: You light up my life
7: Angie Baby

Then of course there's Louie Louie, which at least is a good drinking song.

I agree with you about the Monkees songs. I personally like them a lot but some people consider it "Bubble Gum" music so they think it's awful.

I also think "The Candy Man" by Sammy Davis Jr. would fit nicely on your list of terrible songs.

steve B 11-03-2021 01:51 PM

Man, like nearly every song on here is one I really liked in Jr High.

Plus, and apologies if they've already been mentioned
Convoy
Tie a yellow ribbon

Maybe others?

ALR-bishop 11-03-2021 02:05 PM

A Christmas nomination. A station here plays it every year as the worst Christmas song ever, although it has a lot of competition. An Old Fashioned Christmas...Daddy's Home by Linda Bennet

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...fKPqO1InuRtes-

GasHouseGang 11-03-2021 03:56 PM

A few more I thought of as I read everyone's choices include "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher and anything by Bobby Goldsboro.

Seven 11-03-2021 04:50 PM

We didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel. Probably one of his only songs I cannot stand, yet will always hear in my head.

Cliff Bowman 11-03-2021 05:04 PM

These will clear the room but I like to hear them every once in a while, ‘Run Joey Run’ by David Geddes, ‘You Make Me Feel (Mighy Real)’ by Sylvester, ‘Romeo’s Tune’ by Steve Forbert, ‘Chase Me’ by Con Funk Shun, ‘Let’s All Chant’ by The Michael Zager Band, ‘I’m Not Lisa’ by Jessi Colter.

Peter_Spaeth 11-03-2021 07:43 PM

I used to despite Abba. They grew on me. The two guys who wrote their stuff are pop geniuses IMO. Check out the video of Voulez Vous, in a disco with the lights going crazy. Hypnotic.

Casey2296 11-03-2021 07:49 PM

"I want you to want me" by Cheap Trick

frankbmd 11-03-2021 08:09 PM

Honestly I am not familiar with many of the newer songs on this thread, but would contribute the following:

Muskrat Love - Captain & Tennille

Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs

These Boots are Made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra

Sugar Sugar - The Archies

Nobody But Me - The Human Beinz

Peter_Spaeth 11-03-2021 08:14 PM

No redeeming qualities at all: Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield.

Lady in Red -- Chris de Burgh.

edtiques 11-03-2021 08:38 PM

A song I like but it's also kind of "Bubblegum" music. From the summer of '74, "Life is a rock (but the radio rolled me)" by Reunion.

https://youtu.be/16kh-AP4OCU

Another nomination for a bad song, "They're coming to take me away ha-haaa" by Napoleon XIV.

https://youtu.be/3Fn36l_z3WY