Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   That musty odor.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=306145)

butchie_t 08-08-2021 10:53 AM

That musty odor....

I just received a really nice 1979 Topps Baseball set. However, it smells like it hung around in a basement for a lenghtly time. No water damage, the set is very crispy and minty, it just has a musty smell to it.

I dumped the box right away as it stunk the worse. The cards have the smell as well, not as bad but it is noticeable.

So, anyone have any thoughts as too how to get rid of the smell? I am 'airing them out now' and maybe that is the only method available to me. But if someone has other methods, I am all ears!

Thanks,

B. T.

egri 08-08-2021 11:46 AM

Maybe try storing them with silica gel packets or another desiccant? I've never run into this issue before, but that would be my best guess.

butchie_t 08-08-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 2131530)
Maybe try storing them with silica gel packets or another desiccant? I've never run into this issue before, but that would be my best guess.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Butch7999 08-08-2021 12:34 PM

Seal them for a few days in a plastic tub with a couple of inches of baking soda inside the bottom of the tub.
Most varieties of kitty litter will also be effective in place of baking soda.

butchie_t 08-08-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 2131550)
Seal them for a few days in a plastic tub with a couple of inches of baking soda inside the bottom of the tub.

Baking soda, the universal de-smeller..... duh. Never thought of that. Thanks!

butchie_t 08-08-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 2131550)

Thanks Butch (great name BTW)

I have my cards hanging out in a plastic tub and some baking soda now.

Cheers!

nebboy 08-08-2021 05:58 PM

If smell is still problem use after that put a dryer sheet in there also

frankbmd 08-08-2021 08:33 PM

Is Rougned Odor musty?

butchie_t 08-09-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2131716)
Is Rougned Odor musty?

Ha, not sure. But it has been reported there is an air about him…. Cough.

profholt82 08-09-2021 07:29 AM

I second the dryer sheet recommendation. I've done this with books, record sleeves and cardboard video game boxes numerous times over the years to great success, so I see no reason it wouldn't work for baseball cards.

Edit: whenever I've done the dryer sheet fix, it has been because the item has stunk of cigarettes, not really a mustiness. It's the same premise though, but I just thought I should point that out.

butchie_t 08-09-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profholt82 (Post 2131816)
I second the dryer sheet recommendation. I've done this with books, record sleeves and cardboard video game boxes numerous times over the years to great success, so I see no reason it wouldn't work for baseball cards.

Edit: whenever I've done the dryer sheet fix, it has been because the item has stunk of cigarettes, not really a mustiness. It's the same premise though, but I just thought I should point that out.

Ok thanks. I will do that next if the baking soda does not do the trick.