Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rarest Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=86431)

Archive 08-05-2007 08:45 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>Sean</b><p>What is the Scarcest Card?

Archive 08-05-2007 10:20 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>The one you need the most and can't find anywhere.

Archive 08-05-2007 10:26 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>Jim Dale</b><p>That is the one I thought it was too.

Archive 08-05-2007 10:31 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p>No such thing exists as the scarcest card. There are at least dozens of cards of which only 1 copy is known to exist. And at least as many that once existed but have all been lost.

Archive 08-05-2007 10:39 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Rarity and scarcity are different things. Rarity is only a representation supply (1 card, 3 cards, etc). Scarcity is a measurement of supply versus demand. There is no one way to measure scarcity, as there are different legitimate ways to define demand. However, a standard and common way to measure scarcity in a capitalist society is financial value. The more expensive, the scarcer the card.<br /><br />For cards that physically exist, the rarest cards will be the ones were only 1 exists. There are numerous examples of these.

Archive 08-06-2007 05:51 AM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>cycle- that was actually a very good description of rarity vs. scarcity. where were you a few months back when we had that whole big discussion?

Archive 08-06-2007 05:23 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>Mark M</b><p>My dictionary defines "scarce" as "uncommonly or infrequently seen or found." So it seems to me that "scarce" is synonymous with "rare."

Archive 08-06-2007 05:51 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Webster's Dictionary: Scarce : "1: deficient in quantity or number compared with demand ... "<br /><br />Oxford English Dictionary: Scarce : "1 (of a resource) insufficient for the demand."

Archive 08-06-2007 09:12 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>David,<br /><br />That's a good definition. I've always thought of it in reverse terms. Scarce was a limited number and rare was dependent on demand, thanks for clarifying.<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive 08-07-2007 12:31 PM

Rarest Card

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>It goes without saying that some scarce items are also rare-- the rarity contributing to its scarceness. But, rare or not, there has to be demand for an item to be scarce.<br /><br />When I sold, I would call a card 'rare' if it's rare (strict numbers). I would call a card 'scarce' instead of rare when it wasn't rare, but demand was high making the cards hard to get or hard to get inexpensively. Most of the scarce cards were limited in number and lots of collectors wanted them. The 1952 Topps high numbers probably don't quality as rare, but are limited in number and demand is high. This scarcity, or demand higher than supply, is seen in the higher prices. The smaller number of high numbers, especially when compared to other series, is a major reason for the scarcity.