Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is This a Joke? PSA Grading Competition at National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271132)

Orioles1954 07-10-2019 07:59 PM

Is This a Joke? PSA Grading Competition at National

Posted without comment.:D

https://www.psacard.com/store/p-79-p...u-mDXVMI5lgSio

bnorth 07-10-2019 08:05 PM

That is hilarious, 15 minutes to grade 25 encapsulated cards. The slab makes most alterations very hard to see, especially recoloring. The best part is you have to pay them to do it..

Kenny Cole 07-10-2019 08:15 PM

I think perhaps the funniest part is that evidently, PSA then gets to judge how you did. With their well-trained, astute, graders. Wow. That's like the blind leading the maybe not so blind. Clearly no shame at all.

prestigecollectibles 07-10-2019 08:16 PM

Can we bring a trimmer? :D

icollectDCsports 07-10-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles (Post 1897771)
Can we bring a trimmer? :D

"The Trimmer." Is that like The Whammer from The Natural?

Ronnie73 07-10-2019 08:27 PM

Their coin grading counterpart PCGS has been doing this for years. I've noticed over the past few months that PSA has been trying to do the same thing that PCGS has done for years.

Orioles1954 07-10-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 1897781)
Their coin grading counterpart PCGS has been doing this for years. I've noticed over the past few months that PSA has been trying to do the same thing that PCGS has done for years.

It's all about the timing.

Bigdaddy 07-10-2019 08:36 PM

I would assume that the cards will be slabbed but ungraded. They will be essentially having you pay them to grade cards for them. You'll grade the cards, hand them back to PSA and then PSA will hand them back to the submitter with the new grade.

A new fast turnaround service offered by PSA - 25 cards graded in 15 minutes for only $25/card. They will be bringing in money from both sides. Genius.

lowpopper 07-10-2019 08:45 PM

Already signed up. Looking forward to it.

Ronnie73 07-10-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 1897787)
I would assume that the cards will be slabbed but ungraded. They will be essentially having you pay them to grade cards for them. You'll grade the cards, hand them back to PSA and then PSA will hand them back to the submitter with the new grade.

A new fast turnaround service offered by PSA - 25 cards graded in 15 minutes for only $25/card. They will be bringing in money from both sides. Genius.

When they do the coins, they are slabbed and each numbered 1 to 25. After you review the coins and mark your grades on the paper, it's then compared to what they graded the coins as. They do this for a few reasons. They want you to see how little time you have to spend on each coin, and the mental pressure while doing it. They also do it to have fun at a show, advertise their brand, and sometimes make a contest out of it. I expect PSA to do exactly the same at the show. My only complaint was that it's difficult to grade something while looking through the slab.

I agree that PSA could just have us grade their back log at the show and get them caught up.

Griffins 07-11-2019 12:58 AM

They did this about 10 years ago. Derek Grady won it.

glynparson 07-11-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1897822)

Correct. I always like to remind him I didn’t enter. :D

Johnny630 07-11-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1897824)
Correct. I always like to remind him I didn’t enter. :D

The lines for this will be packed just as the lines will be for their services....the beat goes on PSA remains number one and will only get stronger

Leon 07-11-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1897822)

Andy Broome, senior vintage grader at Beckett, was runner up if I recall correctly.

perezfan 07-11-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1897833)
The lines for this will be packed just as the lines will be for their services....the beat goes on PSA remains number one and will only get stronger

Hey, maybe Coaches Corner can have a booth at the National with an autograph authentication contest... Identify the forgeries!

For just $25 a pop, you too can try to spot the bogus signatures. The judges will be Donald Frangipani, Christopher Morales and Drew Max. Winner gets to attend a private signing with Babe Ruth.

scooter729 07-11-2019 07:33 AM

How is it determined that PSA graded them properly to start?? Maybe the people in the contest will do a better job than the PSA graders!

Sorta like Charlie Chaplin entering a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest and coming in like 20th place.

Johnny630 07-11-2019 08:09 AM

This Industry is and has always been the Wild Wild West.....always accept the the fact that fraud, manipulation and BS marketing campaigns will continue....Grading Contest for $20......they know many suckers coming to the show will eat this up hook line and sinker. This is their way to pay for their booth and travel expenses for staff and equipment....on top of paying off the winner, $1,000, they should easily cover their full expenses..for as much as we make fun of this it’s a Brilliant Idea Will Def payoff....PSA is Smart.

A Fool and His Money Are soon Parted..unfortunately both will be exploited this year at the National...proceed with caution......

forceplay sport 07-11-2019 08:21 AM

can you imagine the turn around at PSA if they graded 25 cards in 15 minutes !

WillBBC 07-11-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1897868)
This Industry is and has always been the Wild Wild West.....always accept the the fact that fraud, manipulation and BS marketing campaigns will continue....Grading Contest for $20......they know many suckers coming to the show will eat this up hook line and sinker. This is their way to pay for their booth and travel expenses for staff and equipment....on top of paying off the winner, $1,000, they should easily cover their full expenses..for as much as we make fun of this it’s a Brilliant Idea Will Def payoff....PSA is Smart.

A Fool and His Money Are soon Parted..unfortunately both will be exploited this year at the National...proceed with caution......

This point of view always confuses me. I think it would be fun and well worth 20 bucks to give this a try. Evaluating/grading cards is something a ton of collectors thoroughly enjoy, value be damned.

I know the PWCC/PSA scandal hanging over everything has a lot of people expecting the end to come but there's still so much good to enjoy in this hobby.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-11-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillBBC (Post 1897893)
This point of view always confuses me. I think it would be fun and well worth 20 bucks to give this a try. Evaluating/grading cards is something a ton of collectors thoroughly enjoy, value be damned.

I know the PWCC/PSA scandal hanging over everything has a lot of people expecting the end to come but there's still so much good to enjoy in this hobby.

I think you are missing the irony. PSA is going to judge how good other people are at grading.

Leon 07-11-2019 11:05 AM

That is what a LOT of the forum is thinking. That said, business as usual, full speed ahead. The line will be hours long. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1897923)
I think you are missing the irony. PSA is going to judge how good other people are at grading.

AGuinness 07-11-2019 11:29 AM

This will be popular, but how much better would it be if things were flipped (pun intended) and graders from the TPGs were the ones getting tested! Let’s see how they do against each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhibitman 07-11-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1897923)

Hey, PSA is really good at grading a card. Just not so good at determining whether it has been altered to end up looking like it does. I guess if it looks minty fresh it is minty fresh.

If a card is trimmed and no one sees it, was the card trimmed? Wait, did I just create a solipsistic hole in my day? D'oh!

lowpopper 07-11-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1897935)
Hey, PSA is really good at grading a card. Just not so good at determining whether it has been altered to end up looking like it does. I guess if it looks minty fresh it is minty fresh.

If a card is trimmed and no one sees it, was the card trimmed? Wait, did I just create a solipsistic hole in my day? D'oh!

Some cards are altered in the woods and no one can hear them. :(