Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Harry Greb (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302934)

TanksAndSpartans 06-01-2021 05:47 PM

Harry Greb

I'd be really interested in seeing any collectables anyone has of him. I just finished reading a book that focused on his 1919 "season" - needless to say he boxed a lot that year. The only collectable I've seen of him is his '48 Leaf and it doesn't even get his race correct. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I'm guessing he wasn't that well remembered 20 years or so after his death, but in more modern times, he's gotten historians attention - I noticed the book I read wasn't the only one out there.

G1911 06-01-2021 05:52 PM

He has a W515, W551, W590 and a 1926 Spalding card. I think that's about it for somewhat mainstream card issues from his career. He's in the 91 Kayo, Victoria, Ideal, and All-World sets (about the last time there was much boxing in 1 year), Upper Deck did a very nice looking Goodwin card of him in 2012 that's worth nothing. I think he was in the 2010 Ringside cards too

Bored5000 06-01-2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 2109284)
I'd be really interested in seeing any collectables anyone has of him. I just finished reading a book that focused on his 1919 "season" - needless to say he boxed a lot that year. The only collectable I've seen of him is his '48 Leaf and it doesn't even get his race correct. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I'm guessing he wasn't that well remembered 20 years or so after his death, but in more modern times, he's gotten historians attention - I noticed the book I read wasn't the only one out there.

I also read Springs Toledo's book on Greb. The book was outstanding, but I do wish it was a little bit longer. :)

Exhibitman 06-01-2021 10:17 PM

Exhibits too

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...no%20champ.jpg

D. Bergin 06-02-2021 08:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A few things I found in my files that I likely no longer have. He's always had a pretty decent following of collectors, and not a ton of stuff out there considering how prolific he was, so his stuff usually gets snapped up pretty quickly.

D. Bergin 06-02-2021 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A modern Japanese large card, or "bromide".

butcher354435 06-02-2021 08:34 AM

He has a nice Romeo y Julieta card as well.

TanksAndSpartans 06-02-2021 10:43 AM

Thanks Everyone! Dave, was counting on you to post something on the more obscure side and you came through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 2109367)
I also read Springs Toledo's book on Greb. The book was outstanding, but I do wish it was a little bit longer. :)

I agree - it's a pretty quick read, a lot of emphasis on 1919, obviously I guess as that was the point, but also a lot of emphasis on the Dempsey rivalry. I think it was more for the reader who already knew the highlights of Greb's career and that wasn't me.

I've started a thread after each Toledo book (Murderer's Row, Greb) and I just ordered a third.

Exhibitman 06-02-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butcher354435 (Post 2109450)
He has a nice Romeo y Julieta card as well.

Scan please.

G1911 06-02-2021 11:45 AM

He also has a true variation in his Leaf card that doesn’t seem to be from their terrible and inconsistent printing. His shirt is either light blue, white, or with the top left blue and the rest white. The blue in his pants is unaffected, looks like an intentional change (he’s not the only card like this). Not sure how many variations there actually are when you factor the grey and white stocks in.

butcher354435 06-02-2021 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2109485)
Scan please.

Here you go Adam:

Attachment 461751
Attachment 461752

Jerry G 06-02-2021 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Pittsburgh Windmill

Jerry G 06-02-2021 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the Edward Vela card.

Bored5000 06-03-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans (Post 2109478)
Thanks Everyone! Dave, was counting on you to post something on the more obscure side and you came through.

I agree - it's a pretty quick read, a lot of emphasis on 1919, obviously I guess as that was the point, but also a lot of emphasis on the Dempsey rivalry. I think it was more for the reader who already knew the highlights of Greb's career and that wasn't me.

I've started a thread after each Toledo book (Murderer's Row, Greb) and I just ordered a third.

If you are looking for another fabulous boxing read, I strongly recommend Tris Dixon's new book "Damage: The Untold Story of Brain Trauma in Boxing." The book just came out last week, and I am about halfway finished. This is the best book I have read on any subject in quite a while.

Everyone who is a boxing fan knows the sad end for guys like Muhammad Ali, Jerry Quarry, Wilfred Benitez, etc.,and many fans also know the sad tales of old time guys like Battling Nelson and Ad Wolgast, but Dixon looks at the history of brain damaged fighters. So many of the fighters he discusses in the book, I never knew what happened to them after their career ended and how much they struggled.

Dixon also talked with trainers, managers, neurologists for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1

TanksAndSpartans 06-04-2021 10:23 AM

Jerry, nice display! I really like the books and cards together.

Eddie, thanks for the rec.

docsdrillers 06-19-2021 08:45 AM

Gene Tunney Vs Harry Greb Early 1920's card

1 Attachment(s)
If you got to my store on ebay you can read the description of this set i discovered years ago that possibly is unpublished.

So if you wanted to see a rare card of Harry Greb then this may be the one.

I'm going to list the entire set individually with the hopes that PSA sees that this is a legit set and maybe convince them to grade it.

I'm relatively new to collecting boxing cards but am 61 and have been collecting anything and everything for most of my life.

At this point as Adam mentioned to me these cards are purely Speculative and or desirable for Type collectors.

D. Bergin 06-19-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docsdrillers (Post 2115059)
If you got to my store on ebay you can read the description of this set i discovered years ago that possibly is unpublished.

So if you wanted to see a rare card of Harry Greb then this may be the one.

I'm going to list the entire set individually with the hopes that PSA sees that this is a legit set and maybe convince them to grade it.

I'm relatively new to collecting boxing cards but am 61 and have been collecting anything and everything for most of my life.

At this point as Adam mentioned to me these cards are purely Speculative and or desirable for Type collectors.

Wow, never seen that card. Awesome looking set, especially if it's from the era.

Love your eclectic listings on Ebay.

docsdrillers 06-19-2021 11:29 AM

Thanks..i realize my pricing may be crazy but i tried to compare to cards from the same era of those boxers and of course took rarity into account.

How can one price cards that maybe only a handful were made and even fewer survived..not to mention the exceptional condition.
Those backboards preserved the cards well and they soak off easily in cold water.

Awesome looking cards..

docsdrillers 06-23-2021 04:55 PM

Seldom Seen Masters of the Ring Greb Card

2 Attachment(s)
I love the cool graphics on these cards so thought i'd share Harry Greb's card.

The cutouts measure; 3 3/8 x 6 1/2 ".