Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   MLB HOFer quiz (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331949)

mrreality68 02-20-2023 04:39 PM

MLB HOFer quiz

Hi

I saw this and I was shocked that there were not more.

Question How many MLB players were the Rookie of the Year, an MVP, a World Series Champ, and I first ballot HOFers were there?

And can you name them?

Peter_Spaeth 02-20-2023 04:49 PM

Frank Robinson and Jackie Robinson come to mind. Was Mays rookie of the year, probably. Bench? Ripken, was he ever MVP?

cgjackson222 02-20-2023 04:57 PM

Great question!

I'm sure there are more, but the Robinsons, Mays and Bench come to mind.

EDIT: Looks like Peter beat me to most of them. Nice job Peter

BobC 02-20-2023 05:27 PM

Cal Ripken Jr.
Frank Robinson
Willie Mays
Jackie Robinson

Of course, they didn't have all the parameters that Jeff asked for going all the way back in time. For example, the ROY wasn't started until 1940, so guys like Cobb, Wagner, and Ruth could never have qualified for this question.

Derek Jeter was close, but he was only a WS MVP and All-Star MVP, but never a league MVP. I'm assuming Jeff meant the MVP designation as the overall league MVP. If not, and he's counting the WS and All-Star MVPs as well, then you can add Jeter to the list.

Forgot about Bench.

BobC 02-20-2023 05:27 PM

Chicosbailbonds 02-20-2023 06:57 PM

Chipper Jones?

BobC 02-20-2023 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds (Post 2316576)
Chipper Jones?

He wasn't the ROY.

mrreality68 02-20-2023 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To clarify

I did not mean World Series or All Star MVP

But Peter nailed it

Congrats

jayshum 02-22-2023 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds (Post 2316576)
Chipper Jones?

Chipper was second for Rookie of the Year behind Hideo Nomo in 1995.

mrreality68 02-22-2023 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2316999)
Chipper was second for Rookie of the Year behind Hideo Nomo in 1995.

they both had great rookie years could not complain if either one got it

clydepepper 02-22-2023 07:03 PM

Pujols & Verlander will make it seven.

Maybe Judge someday...

Kris Bryant won't make it to the Hall.

Nobody else plays on good enough teams.

todeen 02-22-2023 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2317234)

Maybe Judge someday...

Ronald Acuna might have missed his WS window.

Yordan Alvarez still has a chance due to skill and team talent.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

mrreality68 02-23-2023 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2317234)

Maybe Judge someday...

Great point. Even in the next few years the list will remain really small even with Pujols and Verlander.

Amazing with the game being played for over 100 years and 20,272 players played in the mlb(according to mlb players almanac) that only 5 players and soon to be 7 have accomplished this feat.

and all the history in between

jayshum 02-23-2023 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2317243)
Ronald Acuna might have missed his WS window.

Yordan Alvarez still has a chance due to skill and team talent.

Acuna is 25 and the Braves have most of their young, best players signed for a long time so not sure his problem will be missing his WS window. I think it's less likely he is ever an MVP than he doesn't win a WS. Also not sure he ever gets into the HoF and if he does, would it be on the first ballot.

nolemmings 02-23-2023 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2317305)
Great point. Even in the next few years the list will remain really small even with Pujols and Verlander.

Amazing with the game being played for over 100 years and 20,272 players played in the mlb(according to mlb players almanac) that only 5 players and soon to be 7 have accomplished this feat.

and all the history in between

While it is truly a small number who have achieved those awards, don't forget that there was no rookie of the year award before 1947 and the MVP award was spotty the first 20 years of last century. Although I haven't done the research, others might make the list if there was an analysis of their careers and a de facto ROY award created, since there obviously was a pretty awesome group of players the first half of the 1900s.

todeen 02-23-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2317327)
Acuna is 25 and the Braves have most of their young, best players signed for a long time so not sure his problem will be missing his WS window. I think it's less likely he is ever an MVP than he doesn't win a WS. Also not sure he ever gets into the HoF and if he does, would it be on the first ballot.

There are so many up and coming teams, it's hard to say that Atlanta, already at the top, can fend off young and hungry teams. They look good on paper, but look how many different teams won the last 10-15 years. They have the system to pump out winners, but they haven't proven themselves the Astros yet. I think Alvarez has a good shot.

mrreality68 02-23-2023 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2317411)
While it is truly a small number who have achieved those awards, don't forget that there was no rookie of the year award before 1947 and the MVP award was spotty the first 20 years of last century. Although I haven't done the research, others might make the list if there was an analysis of their careers and a de facto ROY award created, since there obviously was a pretty awesome group of players the first half of the 1900s.

you are right but sadly we can only play the MLB rules and stats and history as they provide it

Just like including when we rate how many MVP awards players won in their career and yet in the 1920's for example the rules included only 1 player from each team on the ballot and you could not win more than 1 award In the 1920s the leagues awarded MVPs, called the League Award. The American League also allowed players to win the award only once. This caused Babe Ruth to be ineligible for the award in historic 1927 season.

In addition there was only 1 LEAGUE WIDE winner until the 1930's when it was split and each league had it own winner so there was more awards to give out and people can win it more often

nolemmings 02-23-2023 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2317460)
you are right but sadly we can only play the MLB rules and stats and history as they provide it

Just like including when we rate how many MVP awards players won in their career and yet in the 1920's for example the rules included only 1 player from each team on the ballot and you could not win more than 1 award In the 1920s the leagues awarded MVPs, called the League Award. The American League also allowed players to win the award only once. This caused Babe Ruth to be ineligible for the award in historic 1927 season.

In addition there was only 1 LEAGUE WIDE winner until the 1930's when it was split and each league had it own winner so there was more awards to give out and people can win it more often

Agree, and I think you just helped to make my point that it really isn't a proper sample size to include players over 100+ years using the rules now in place. More like 75, and the ROY winners during the past 20 years haven't become eligible yet (assuming a 15 year career and a five year wait), so it's more like 55. Still a remarkable accomplishment, for sure, to have made that club you listed, but that will work out to about one every 12 years or so if Pujols and Verlander go in first ballot.

mrreality68 02-24-2023 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2317474)
Agree, and I think you just helped to make my point that it really isn't a proper sample size to include players over 100+ years using the rules now in place. More like 75, and the ROY winners during the past 20 years haven't become eligible yet (assuming a 15 year career and a five year wait), so it's more like 55. Still a remarkable accomplishment, for sure, to have made that club you listed, but that will work out to about one every 12 years or so if Pujols and Verlander go in first ballot.

never disagreed with you point.
Just pointing out that most or all these trivia and interesting things have limitations based on what and how the question is. and the history and the rules change but they still have the STATS from all different times and compare it
Still fun conversation and some interesting history
thanks

nolemmings 02-24-2023 09:23 AM

Definitely a fun and interesting topic. Also full of "what ifs". Makes you realize how many things have to fall into place even for even the greats of the game to make it on such an honored list.

mrreality68 02-25-2023 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2317699)
Definitely a fun and interesting topic. Also full of "what ifs". Makes you realize how many things have to fall into place even for even the greats of the game to make it on such an honored list.

Absolutely to me the bigger things are beyond the sports that affect the what if’s

Think about the players that served in WW1 and WW2 or Korea and what those players might have done if their careers were not interrupted by those brave players that served like

More than 500 major league players swapped flannels for khakis during World War II, and such well-known players as Stan Musial, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams

Peter_Spaeth 02-25-2023 09:59 AM

Musial only missed one season I believe.

mrreality68 02-25-2023 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2318027)
Musial only missed one season I believe.

MLB fans love stats

very true but 1945 in the peak of his early years it would potentially have been over 200hits (would put him 3rd career ahead of Hank Aaron) 110 runs (would put him 8th career ahead of ARod and Cap Anson and just behind Willie Mays by less than 10), 90 RBI's (would put him 6th career just ahead of Bonds and Gehrig), 80 walks (would put him #10 ahead of Frank Thomas, Eddie Yost, and Darrell Evans)

So 1 season in service to our Country is still impactful and even more so to players like Ted Williams 5 years of his career(Korea and WW2) and Joe D 3 Years WW@