Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Rediscovered treasures (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=289240)

ocjack 09-18-2020 10:54 AM

Rediscovered treasures

1 Attachment(s)
As I have posted before, I'm rediscovering items I had forgotten about. If you have had the same experience, post them here.

I found this 1991 Upper Deck National Convention Promo card that I had Reggie Jackson sign for me at the show. Not the clearest scan because I left it in the holder.

mrmopar 09-18-2020 05:00 PM

Neat card, although that dark background really hides the autograph unfortunately.

Bigdaddy 09-18-2020 07:42 PM

Not an autograph story, but a homecoming of sorts, in the vain of the OP.

The first vintage set that my dad and I put together was the 1960 Topps baseball set. I would buy the common cards one at a time and he would bankroll the stars and high numbers. It has been over 30 years since we assembled that set and Dad passed from us two years ago.

I had occasionally looked for the set over the last several years. Dad could not remember where it was and it was not where I thought it would be. I even had started to entertain thoughts that something had happened to it. But I did not give up hope that I'd come across it at some time. Eventually after cleaning out a closet in my sister's bedroom, I came across the binder that contained the set - the only cards in that crowded closet. It was like the prodigal son had returned.

Knowing that the last person to have opened that binder was most likely my dad, it was cathartic going through the pages. Finding the Mantle AS card that was one of the last cards we needed; seeing the creased Mays card that I had when we started the set. And seeing all those Rookie Stars cards together brought back so many memories.

ocjack 09-19-2020 08:22 AM

Great story bigdaddy. I'm certain you'll never misplace that set again.

ocjack 09-20-2020 11:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more tucked away treasures.

A young Pete Rose in 1964

Maurice Morning Wills

Bill Russell

HexsHeroes 09-20-2020 11:26 AM

Interesting Timing for this thread ...

Just came across a George Allen (Washington Redskins coach) signed 3x5 I purchased 15 or more years ago. Still in the sealed box shipped in.

Not rare or especially valuable, but now “found” none the less.

Bigdaddy 09-20-2020 01:26 PM

That Pete Rose photo was taken by Walter Iooss who was (is) a prominent Sports Illustrated photographer. It has been published in his book 'Baseball'.

ocjack 09-20-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2019279)
That Pete Rose photo was taken by Walter Iooss who was (is) a prominent Sports Illustrated photographer. It has been published in his book 'Baseball'.

Right. I picked up a partially damaged book at a used book store and was able to "save" a number of pages that weren't affected. Great book btw.

Bigdaddy 09-21-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2019280)
Right. I picked up a partially damaged book at a used book store and was able to "save" a number of pages that weren't affected. Great book btw.

I've been collecting signatures in that book for probably 30 years now; most of them are personalized. Have both the Rose and facing Aaron from that spread. Also was able to add Mays, Koufax, Carlton, Reggie, Bench, Marachial, Drysdale, Schoendienst, Tenace, Concepcion, Morgan, Brooks, Weaver, Seaver, George Scott, Goose, Johnny Grubb, Tony O and a few others.

One story from that journey was seeing Dave Parker and asking him to sign his photo (famous photo of him in the dugout smoking a cigarette). At first he refused - "I don't sign that photo", and saying that of all he did in the game, he didn't appreciate that being the only photo of him in the book. Once I showed him several of the other photos that I had signed, he relented and finally signed it.

alifaxwa2 09-22-2020 04:51 AM

Not remotely the same, but something I regretfully sold to pay off something else has popped back up for Auction. Hoping to buy it back.

ocjack 09-22-2020 12:14 PM

Alifaxwa2 - I won't ask what it was until you let us know if you were successful. Good luck.

ocjack 09-22-2020 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My full-name signature of ol' Petey on my Wheaties box.