Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   January pick-ups... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329744)

chaddurbin 01-01-2023 12:26 PM

January pick-ups...

After 2+ years of seriously looking I finally found a nice Ruth check. Thanks to board member Erick we were able to work out a deal and I got it yesterday. It was actually my second Ruth check in two months but since it was clearly an upgrade I just made my family stop eating for a month and I'm using the free public wifi/electricity at Starbucks to make this post.

also thanks/sorry to the board members I pestered the last couple years (david, mark, brendan et al).

https://i.imgur.com/Yd6GOg2.jpg

yanksfan09 01-01-2023 08:46 PM

Congrats Quan!

I'll miss it, but at least it's going to a good home! Great check!

I still have a Ruth cut, but one day I may be on the hunt again for another check as well!

ThomasL 01-04-2023 04:37 PM

Eddie Stumpf

1 Attachment(s)
Not nearly as great as the first post but I landed an obscure signature on my short list of wants

Eddie Stumpf

Basically a life long minor leaguer...was the actual first manager of the AAGPBL Rockford Peaches in 1943 and later exec in the Cleveland organization...BUT

My interest in obtaining his signature is due to the fact he was a Spring Training member of the 1919 White Sox.

This is an upgrade for me from a first name only signed letter

slidekellyslide 01-08-2023 09:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Wow, great pickup, Quan! Congrats!

Yesterday I found these autographs in the wild. Astronaut Ed White (2 full signatures and one first name with a note written on his own memo. Also a Robert Taylor 1930s-60s Hollywood actor.

uga1980 01-08-2023 07:47 PM

Alfred Spink

1 Attachment(s)
I had the opportunity to add a unique Al Spink letter to the collection.

milkit1 01-10-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 2302225)
Wow, great pickup, Quan! Congrats!

Yesterday I found these autographs in the wild. Astronaut Ed White (2 full signatures and one first name with a note written on his own memo. Also a Robert Taylor 1930s-60s Hollywood actor.

Incredible find!

chaddurbin 01-20-2023 09:39 PM

we must be in that recession everyone is talking about. for almost 3 years I could not sniff a ruth auto, and now i have three in 3 months. dealers must have enough inventory now and just letting me pass thru :).

i'm good with a check and a photo, i can stop doing "ruth signed" searches now.

https://www.iconicauctions.com/ItemI...43275b_lg.jpeg

theshleps 01-21-2023 09:58 AM

great photo, congrats. Can I ask how much you paid???

chaddurbin 01-21-2023 10:47 AM

It was around $4800.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

theshleps 01-22-2023 09:46 AM

good deal

Bpm0014 01-22-2023 10:45 AM

Delete

CooperstownExpert 01-29-2023 02:11 AM

Love handwritten letters with historic content

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the latest addition...

Super excited any time to add a piece with meaningful content. Just finished adding it to the pages of Connie Mack and Ty Cobb on my website.

The Mack page has quite a few letters with neat content, including one of my favorite pieces - the letter to Howard Ehmke, hero of the '29 World Series. The surprise starter for Game 1, Ehmke made baseball history when he set the Fall Classic record for Ks. The move to start him was called by Bill James, "the most brilliant managerial stratagem in the history of baseball”. There's a story on the site about it here.

Scott Garner 01-29-2023 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperstownExpert (Post 2309125)
Here's the latest addition...

Super excited any time to add a piece with meaningful content. Just finished adding it to the pages of Connie Mack and Ty Cobb on my website.

The Mack page has quite a few letters with neat content, including one of my favorite pieces - the letter to Howard Ehmke, hero of the '29 World Series. The surprise starter for Game 1, Ehmke made baseball history when he set the Fall Classic record for Ks. The move to start him was called by Bill James, "the most brilliant managerial stratagem in the history of baseball”. There's a story on the site about it here.

Jim,
That's a great letter with outstanding content about Cobb from one of the greatest managerial minds in the game. :cool:

tha-rock 01-30-2023 12:46 PM

A: "Ty Cobb was really fast"

B: "How fast was he?"

A: "Cobb was so fast that when he was stealing second base, some teams would throw the ball to third base."

That letter is the proof.

Scott Garner 01-30-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tha-rock (Post 2309501)
A: "Ty Cobb was really fast"

B: "How fast was he?"

A: "Cobb was so fast that when he was stealing second base, some teams would throw the ball to third base."

That letter is the proof.

Yuuuup! :D

bnorth 01-30-2023 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up these 3 Wade Boggs rookies. Nice to have them all signed in the same color. Far from an expert but my guess is there were signed in 1984.