Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Best of thoughts for Damar Hamlin (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329827)

JustinD 01-03-2023 07:48 AM

Best of thoughts for Damar Hamlin

Sad example of how delicate even the strongest of us are. Could not imagine a scene and a resolution that showed a true example of sportsmanship and caring for all on the field. The reactions and views had me crying with them.

I can't believe he will play again, but praying he can recover to live a full life and move on to more accomplishments.

BobbyStrawberry 01-03-2023 11:08 AM

Totally agree, he seems like a really good guy too . One the flip side, The NFL apparently declaring the game to resume 5 mins later and then lying about it is not a great look

D. Bergin 01-03-2023 11:09 AM

What a harrowing scene. Hope he pulls through.

D. Bergin 01-03-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2300493)
Totally agree, he seems like a really good guy too . One the flip side, The NFL apparently declaring the game to resume 5 mins later and then lying about it is not a great look

They did the right thing in the end. I don't think an NFL game has ever been stopped while already started and postponed before, outside of a severe weather issue maybe...so this is progress of some sort.

JustinD 01-03-2023 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2300495)
They did the right thing in the end. I don't think an NFL game has ever been stopped while already started and postponed before, outside of a severe weather issue maybe...so this is progress of some sort.

My understanding is that both coaching staffs refused to continue in the early reports. They did the right thing to let the appropriate grieving take place. an immense amount of class was shown between those teams.

One far cry from the disgust I had watching a classless Kayvon Thibodeaux celebrate with snow angels next to an injured Nick Foles, then mocking him with sleeping gestures for taking him out of the game. I was so proud as a Lions fan we took the right guy with class in Hutch.

This, although sad, brought back some faith in humanity.

nolemmings 01-03-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2300597)
One far cry from the disgust I had watching a classless Kayvon Thibodeaux celebrate with snow angels next to an injured Nick Foles, then mocking him with sleeping gestures for taking him out of the game.

That guy is Vontaze Burfict in the making. He's been a clueless moron for awhile.

JollyElm 01-03-2023 03:58 PM

Buff's my team.

Nothing like this has ever happened before, so it's hard to find fault with the NFL's supposed reaction ('Let's continue playing again in 5-10 minutes'), because the assumption was it was a 'normal' injury, so he'd be safely carted to the locker room and the game would resume. I'm no fan of the stupidly woke NFL, but come on now, they did the right thing.

The fact Hamlin received CPR on the field was heartbreaking and scary as hell. The millions of us watching the game should feel lucky that the TV cameras didn't capture that horror. Thank God for the skilled medical personal there!!! Heroes!!!!

clydepepper 01-03-2023 06:53 PM

Safties, Cornerbacks and Receivers don't really wear much protection, as there role is speed. I wonder if flack jackets similar to but higher on the torso than those used by quarterbacks, would provide enough protection to avoid an injury such as this in the future.

\

Peter_Spaeth 01-03-2023 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2300711)
Safties, Cornerbacks and Receivers don't really wear much protection, as there role is speed. I wonder if flack jackets similar to but higher on the torso than those used by quarterbacks, would provide enough protection to avoid an injury such as this in the future.

\

Cardiologists have said no, this was likely a freak thing of timing that would not have been prevented by padding. Apparently there is a very very tiny window within a heartbeat cycle that a blow to the chest can disrupt the rhythm and speculation is this is what happened.

Carter08 01-03-2023 07:34 PM

Love the Bills. Feel like a lot of class was shown by both teams and now by all teams. The NFL didn’t screw up a scary and unprecedented situation so a rare rip of the cap to the home office. I’m just hoping he pulls through like everyone else. I have a good hunch and hope I’m not proven wrong.

Peter_Spaeth 01-03-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2300495)

This was a possibly unique and evolving situation, I don't think the league handled it badly, there is a long presumption from history that like the arena in Rome the game goes on even if men are hurt or hurt badly. As events evolved it became clear that this time players and coaches weere in a different frame of mind, and the league respected that.

doug.goodman 01-03-2023 07:54 PM

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture-...ld/8442613002/

At least this time they didn't continue the game...