Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   DiMaggio 3x5 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286552)

YazFenway08 07-25-2020 06:46 PM

DiMaggio 3x5

2 Attachment(s)
I am a relatively new member here and have appreciated the education I have been getting by reading the many years of posts on autograph assessments and opinion. I have a small inherited collection for which I may be seeking some assistance. I am not completely lazy...I have reviewed hundreds of posts here on Net54 as well as Autograph Live and other sites where many members here have commented...i'm getting better at IDing fakes, but still not comfortable.

I am looking for opinions on the attached Dimaggio 3x5. This was obtained through the mail in late 1981/early 1982, so clearly not a malicious forgery.

It does not look like many of the examples signed by his sister and, in fact, it looks very similar in style to the PSA 3x5 exemplar on their website, right down to the location of the signature on the 3x5.

Thanks in advance

Mike

cookie 07-25-2020 07:13 PM

The Dimaggio looks good to me. The Aaron is a very good looking signature and of course the Musial is fine

Fuddjcal 07-25-2020 07:37 PM

I don't like the Dimaggio or the Aaron, but I think the Musial is good.

mr2686 07-25-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 2002826)
I don't like the Dimaggio or the Aaron, but I think the Musial is good.

Ditto.

MooseDog 07-25-2020 10:46 PM

The Aaron looks like a common secretarial from around the time he was chasing the HR record if you wrote to him c/o the Braves. The Musial is fine and the Dimag is likely OK.

perezfan 07-26-2020 02:57 PM

Musial - Good
Aaron - Bad
Joe D. - Questionable (looks slowly drawn to me, so I'd hold out for another)

YazFenway08 07-26-2020 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

unanimous opinion on the Musial, which is great.

The aaron makes sense...it is from 1983/1984 so long after the HR chase...but this signature looks much different than one i have from the early 90s show circuit...secretarial makes sense. I never like how the first "A" in Aaron connected to the rest of the last name.

for the JoeD...I guess it's not a "forgery" in the strict sense in that it was a free, TTM, early 1981/1982 example...but it also doesn't just scream fake to me. I agree that it looks a little more "drawn". Its not clearly a "sister-signed" example...so if not authentic, I assume a non-malicious secretarial signature as well. Maybe sometimes you just get one that's inconclusive. Do we know if JoeD ever legitimately signed TTM before the card show/private signing explosion in the mid-80s?

regardless...thanks again for everyone's help...great board

Mike

Lordstan 07-27-2020 10:33 AM

Mike,
Joe D was signing autos at shows in the early 80's, as i was at many if them.
I cant recall ever hearing people had much success TTM with him TBH, regardless of the time frame. Can't speak to the 50s and 60s, but 70 and later were pretty bad.
I agree with everyone else. Musial is good. Aaron looks bad. Joe D could be good, but is not a great example. If you are looking to purchase a Joe D i would hold out for something nicer. If its cheap, i would probably take a flier on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

YazFenway08 07-27-2020 11:09 AM

Thank you. All those points make sense. The good news on the JoeD is that I actually was the original recipient of that auto TTM...so it’s not a “cost” issue for me...I was just wanting some authentication in case I end up having to sell at some point. I agree there are far better examples and even if authentic we aren’t talking about a big dollar item to start with.

Thanks again for taking time to respond

Mike

mr2686 07-27-2020 02:11 PM

The problem I have with the Dimaggio is that it looks really slowly signed, and some of the letters (the J in Joe, The D in Dimaggio and the loops in the G's seem a bit odd like someone was going slow. Joe, for the most part, had more of a lighter touch (even with a sharpie) to the point where you could see he lifted the pen in spots. Just seems like this one was really heavy handed, especially if this was in the early 80's. Since you got it through the mail, you're not out anything, but you have to decide if you want to keep it and always wonder, spend the money and authenticate it (and maybe not pass) or just get another one. No right or wrong, just what ever you can live with.

roarfrom34 07-27-2020 05:00 PM

here is a legit Joe D that I rec'd TTM in the 1979/80 time period (it now resides in a PSA/DNA slab):

https://i.imgur.com/S9Z6QyW.jpg

MikeKam 07-27-2020 07:10 PM

Agree with others regarding Aaron being a clubhouse and Musial being authentic. I do believe the DiMaggio to be authentic as well. I've seen a couple similar index cards (signed at the top, a bit "slow") that came with the provenance of being TTM.

Fuddjcal 07-27-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeKam (Post 2003433)
Agree with others regarding Aaron being a clubhouse and Musial being authentic. I do believe the DiMaggio to be authentic as well. I've seen a couple similar index cards (signed at the top, a bit "slow") that came with the provenance of being TTM.

Morris Engelberg was guiding his hand then :D ....

JRS123490 08-03-2020 05:20 PM

IMO the Dimaggio looks good. Musial good, Aaron no. I think what happened with Dimaggio and the shaky D (because I agree with everyone that says it looks slow,) is that he didn't realize how near the top he was signing on the card. So to overcompensate and avoid going off the top he slowed down a bit.

YazFenway08 08-04-2020 08:53 AM

Thanks for that response. That makes some sense to me...the PSA 3x5 exemplar that looks similar is signed a little further down on the index card, so "crowding" at the top wasn't an issue. Another exemplar, dated to 1985, showed a lot of similar traits as well. Given all the responses, I think I will send this off to PSA along with a batch of others just to see...it is worth the modest cost just to see their opinion as well... I will post the "results" when I get them.

This has been a great education for me...and again, I appreciate all the assistance and opinions

Mike

JRS123490 08-04-2020 02:07 PM

Yeah, in my opinion it would definitely be worth sending off to get looked at. This is definitely not the ghost signer, so that's in your favor. I am very confident it's good.