Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toronto virtual card show (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=285002)

Snapolit1 06-20-2020 08:51 AM

Toronto virtual card show

My experience kind of sucked. Wonder what others thought. I thought I would be perusing inventory cases, not looking at scary close ups of facial blemishes and the pores on guys noses. I guess maybe if your goal was to make chit chat it could have worked. It was free and they deserve kudos for trying.

markf31 06-20-2020 09:27 AM

I was just poking around on the site this morning, and actually lucked out as a card that the second dealer I clicked on just happened to be showing when I clicked over on their feed I actually needed and we were able to negotiate a deal on a hockey 1933-4 OPC Howie Morenz.

But after that, my experience was nothing to write home about and I could have done without a shirtless guy video chatting to a dealer in one of the rooms.

The dealers dont seem to have any idea what to do to maximize the experience since this is such a new concept. I think it could be an interesting idea with some more thought and planning by the dealers. Its cumbersome at best to have to pay attention to and read a chat feed, respond to questions verbally and while you pull and show specifics cards.

I'll second your kudos for their effort.

Jim F 06-20-2020 08:06 PM

I had one of the booths at this show. The first time at something like this is really trial and error.
Ebay sponsored the event and gave some big incentives to vendors to push traffic to their ebay store. The next 3 months of your store subscription free and 75% off final value fees during the show. This is why a lot of guys just sat there and told you to visit their ebay store. I don't think collectors were thrilled with this concept.
I didn't really check out many other booths but I'd imagine some guys tried it QVC/Home shopping network style.

I linked my new website, which was woefully under stocked, and had non stop chat, babble and rants for 8 hours a day. I also invited some interesting guests which people seemed to enjoy. I really didn't know what to expect but I am a regular dealer at the Toronto Expo and try to support everyone that's been good to me in the hobby.
Here's my take -- It was really good. I learned alot and know what I would do differently next time, and I do think there will be a next time. i saw and spoke to a bunch of hobby friends that I usually see at these things. Sales were way better than I thought they would be. I have a ton of emails and text messages from people that both want to buy and sell, to follow up on. I have a sore throat, never talked so much in my life.
Anyway, I would do it again
And shirtless guy didn't come to my booth

benchod 06-22-2020 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim F (Post 1992398)
I had one of the booths at this show. The first time at something like this is really trial and error.
Ebay sponsored the event and gave some big incentives to vendors to push traffic to their ebay store. The next 3 months of your store subscription free and 75% off final value fees during the show. This is why a lot of guys just sat there and told you to visit their ebay store. I don't think collectors were thrilled with this concept.
I didn't really check out many other booths but I'd imagine some guys tried it QVC/Home shopping network style.

I lurked at your booth quite a bit, Jim and really enjoyed your guests. The two gentlemen who wrote the Beehive book were interesting. Mark Fera's show and tell was fantastic and made my weekend. His Leafs memorabilia is Hockey HOf worthy.

The major downside is that everyone has figure out a way to display for sale items better. I don't want to be directed to an Ebay store.

I was able to knock this item off my want list so overall I was happy

pokerplyr80 06-22-2020 09:09 PM

I signed up and completely forgot and missed it. I could have used some kind of reminder. Not blaming them but I doubt I was the only one.

Jim F 06-23-2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 1992916)
I lurked at your booth quite a bit, Jim and really enjoyed your guests. The two gentlemen who wrote the Beehive book were interesting. Mark Fera's show and tell was fantastic and made my weekend. His Leafs memorabilia is Hockey HOf worthy.

The major downside is that everyone has figure out a way to display for sale items better. I don't want to be directed to an Ebay store.

I was able to knock this item off my want list so overall I was happy

Nice card from a tough set!
It was a learning experience for all involved, next time will be better. I think the dealers got the message that people didnt like to be pushed towards ebay.
Thanks for checking in and and happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Mark was the highlight of my weekend for sure!!

Jim F 06-23-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1992941)
I signed up and completely forgot and missed it. I could have used some kind of reminder. Not blaming them but I doubt I was the only one.

They sent out an email every morning like they do during the regular expo.

timzcardz 06-23-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markf31 (Post 1992214)

The dealers dont seem to have any idea what to do to maximize the experience since this is such a new concept. I think it could be an interesting idea with some more thought and planning by the dealers. Its cumbersome at best to have to pay attention to and read a chat feed, respond to questions verbally and while you pull and show specifics cards.

Maybe they could take lessons from Don . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQrmiqr7Fg

pokerplyr80 06-23-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim F (Post 1992962)
They sent out an email every morning like they do during the regular expo.

Must have went to spam or I just missed it then. Hopefully I will catch the next one.

conor912 06-23-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 1993019)
Maybe they could take lessons from Don . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQrmiqr7Fg

I thought it was going to be more like this setup.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STDx0wIA7vM

samosa4u 06-23-2020 01:55 PM

There were a lot of people who didn't like it, and I'm one of them, however, we all have to give credit to the show promoter for trying something new during this difficult time.

I was having audio problems on Friday. The dealers who were doing live shows sounded like drunk robots:

Heeeeeeeeelllloooooooo, eeeeeeeevverrrrrrryyyyybbbbbooooodddddyyyyyy RRRRRRR .....

However, when I logged in on Saturday, everything was fine. The problem just corrected itself - weird.

I did manage to see some of Jim's show on Saturday and it was great. I saw when Mark pointed out to the seat of his crashed plane (not sure how the hell he managed to get his hands on it) and how Bill Barilko's body had been found there! That was very freaky! :eek:

There were quite a few dealers who didn't attend, and this includes Platinum Promotions, Martin Sports, Top Notch, etc. These guys have lots of vintage cards, so with them being absent, well, it really sucked for vintage card collectors like myself.

On Friday, a post was being made every second, but the following day, I saw that things had slowed down and posts were being made every few minutes instead. This means that a large percentage of people who logged in on Friday did not come back on Saturday, and I'm not surprised! Also, almost every post being made was for a modern card:

Hi, does anyone have a SPX Triple Purple Shield Platinum Rainbow Conner McDavid?

Hi, anyone have any Kobes?

Any LeBrons?

I was one of the few looking for vintage cards, and nope, I did not get any that I wanted. There was one guy who offered me his ugly PSA 1 with paper-loss, but I passed.

Jim F 06-23-2020 03:37 PM

Happy to hear people enjoyed the guests.
Don't worry about who wasn't there. There will be more dealers there every time. I'm sure some that tried it out will drop out too. Someone has to be the first to jump in.
Maybe there were less posts on Saturday because they figured out how to block all the people spamming their own sites and ebay stores. Also. it was a beautiful day, atleast here. I had equal traffic both days I would guess and better sales on Saturday including a flurry after 4pm when I thought I was the only one left on there.

Snapolit1 06-23-2020 03:47 PM

I think we are all going to have to get used to the technology. It will be here and be required for a while. Obviously there will be a learning curve for everybody.