Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question for ticket collectors... full debut ticket of Zack Greinke. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303949)

AstroJake09 06-22-2021 05:40 PM

Question for ticket collectors... full debut ticket of Zack Greinke.

Hi all,

I have a chance to make a play at a full ticket from Zack Greinke's MLB debut with the Kansas City Royals on May 22, 2004 against the Athletics in Oakland. From my research there were just over 26,000 fans in attendance that day who would watch Greinke go 5 innings and give up 5 hits, 2 runs (including an HR) as well as walking just 1 batter and recording his first career strikeout. The A's would end up with an 11 inning 4-3 victory.

For ticket collectors, I guess I'd like to ask if this is a rare ticket? With such a low attendance for the game and the fact that it was fairly early in the season, my thought is that with the crowd being mostly A's fans, not many people would have thought to save the ticket and although Greinke was highly touted at the time, none could have forseen his trajectory or career to this point. I am leaning towards yes on rarity but how many might be uncovered or offered for sale once he retires?

I also notice that often after a player retires or is inducted into the HoF most of their memorbillia skyrockets and I'm wondering if now is a good time to buy the ticket as it is currently availible to me for under $200? It would be for my PC but as it is always nice not to overpay and to get a fair price on something, I’m curious as to the ticket’s value right now.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

https://i.ibb.co/NrzMQ56/Screen-Shot...5-39-10-PM.png

Topnotchsy 06-22-2021 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The price of debut tickets has definitely gone up quite a bit in the last year.

I can't find another sale for a Greinke ticket, but even if it's not super rare, I feel like it's safely a $100+ ticket (and possibly a nice amount more)

I actually have a game-used lineup card from that game.

ooo-ribay 06-23-2021 02:58 PM

Greinke’s not going into the HOF. Yes, as a Giants fan, I’m a hater. :p

Edit: I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s even close to a $100 ticket.

AstroJake09 06-23-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2116374)
Greinke’s not going into the HOF. Yes, as a Giants fan, I’m a hater. :p

Edit: I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s even close to a $100 ticket.

Growing up in AZ, I used to feel the same way about him lol, especially during his tenure with LA, but once he came to the Dbacks I had begun to warm up to him. I am an Astros fan and was still warming up to him when he was traded to the team. My turning point as a fan of his was on September 25, 2019 when he threw his near no-hitter against the Mariners. I was mesmerized by his performance. I also learned about his struggles with anxiety during the broadcast and living in a household that shows compassion and is accepting towards all, I began to change my views about Zack. All the while I was quietly struggling with anxiety myself (although I didn't know what it was at the time) and had been for about four years. During lockdown last year, I finally told the people closest to me and got an answer as to what it was that I had been dealing with. So, Zack has gone from one of my least favorite players to possibly my favorite pitcher that I've had the pleasure to watch as a fan!

Sports are funny like that.

Topnotchsy 06-23-2021 06:16 PM

200+ wins, 2750 K's, WAR of 73.5, ERA+ of 125 along with 2 ERA titles and a Cy Young Award.

And he's not done.

In this generation, he only ranks behind Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer.

Definite HOFer

AstroJake09 06-23-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 2116435)
200+ wins, 2750 K's, WAR pushing 70, ERA+ of 125 along with 2 ERA titles and a Cy Young Award.

And he's not done.

In this generation, he only ranks behind Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer.

Definite HOFer

I definitely agree!

packs 06-23-2021 08:29 PM

I think he's a HOFer but without a big following and I think I'd pass on the ticket if it were more than $80.

AstroJake09 06-23-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2116451)
I think he's a HOFer but without a big following and I think I'd pass on the ticket if it were more than $80.

I ended up snagging it. It is for the PC as of now but I'm confident that once he retires it will see a bump in price. I've only seen four other examples of this ticket before and thought it was rare enough. Hopefully I can make a nice display with the ticket!

ooo-ribay 06-24-2021 05:17 AM

Quote:

200+ wins, 2750 K's, WAR pushing 70, ERA+ of 125 along with 2 ERA titles and a Cy Young Award.

And he's not done.

Definite HOFer

You make a good argument!

Jcosta19 06-24-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

And he's not done.

Definite HOFer

Agree on HOF status.
You forgot Degrom however.

Although generation is debatable hes only 4yrs younger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Topnotchsy 06-24-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2116644)
Agree on HOF status.
You forgot Degrom however.

Although generation is debatable hes only 4yrs younger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looking at age, he's 5 years younger, but more importantly, he made his MLB debut 10 years later. And at this point, taking total career, I'd still have to place Greinke ahead of DeGrom. Not that wins are the most important metric, but DeGrom has 77 vs 216 for Greinke. DeGrom probably already has a higher peak, but he doesn't have the career yet.