Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ugghhhh! expired Topps Chrome Acuna redemption (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=304883)

becollie 07-10-2021 01:31 PM

ugghhhh! expired Topps Chrome Acuna redemption

Public service announcement ...

When buying older packs to chase big hits make sure you double check redemption expiration dates.

I bought a box of 2018 topps Chrome to chase an acuna auto and to our amazement we pulled a redemption.

Unfortunately ... our overwhelming joy quickly turned to a massive sob story as the darn thing expired ... my son (and I) are so bummed.

If I knew there was no chance of pulling an Acuna auto I would never had paid what I did.

So frustrating :-(

Brian

swarmee 07-10-2021 01:43 PM

Topps used to be sticklers about not accepting redemptions after the cutoff date. They have softened that stance of late. Try inputting the redemption card into their website and if it rejects it, try to mail it in at that point. If they have the card still in stock, they normally send it. If they don't, you're probably out of luck.
For the most part, they use unfilled redemptions as damage replacements or guaranteed hit replacements when people want refunds/replacements.

becollie 07-10-2021 02:02 PM

Thanks John ... appreciate the recommendation.

Will give it a try ... really hoping they can make things work.

Have a great weekend.

Brian

Marchillo 07-14-2021 07:10 AM

Not that my opinion matters but life would be so much easier for Topps if they eliminated redemptions altogether. I know there are probably flaws with this theory but here is what I propose. If the 2018 Acuna doesn't come back in time then put the card in the 2019 version of the product. I know there are sell sheets and promises but they can put disclaimers in there. Maybe 2018 would include a 2017 autograph card of a Cody Bellinger RC and the 2019 would have a 2018 Ronald Acuna autograph card.

It's not perfect - but wow what a backlog of nonsense they would clear up. I get that having WS autographs while they are hot is a selling point at that moment but my buddy is still waiting on a Rick Porcello WS redemption from the last Red Sox title. That's just insanity.

Good luck

maniac_73 07-14-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becollie (Post 2121835)
Public service announcement ...

When buying older packs to chase big hits make sure you double check redemption expiration dates.

I bought a box of 2018 topps Chrome to chase an acuna auto and to our amazement we pulled a redemption.

Unfortunately ... our overwhelming joy quickly turned to a massive sob story as the darn thing expired ... my son (and I) are so bummed.

If I knew there was no chance of pulling an Acuna auto I would never had paid what I did.

So frustrating :-(

Brian

Send it in anyways. They are pretty good with honouring them especially since its so close to the date. You may be waiting a while though as you would with any redemption

Exhibitman 07-16-2021 09:39 PM

Here's the secret: unclaimed items like this are technically no different than unclaimed money someone leaves in a savings account. Topps doesn't get to just keep it. Every state has different rules on what happens to unclaimed items. It is generically called an "escheat" law. My experience has been that when there is a specific card awarded it sits in the company's file long past the redemption date. I bought a 2014 Panini box years after the expiration, got a valuable redemption card, filed for the prize, and got it a few months later. if the item is not there, odds are they will send a make-good to cover their butts against a claim of mishandling escheats.