Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Early AZO RPPC help? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307211)

chalupacollects 08-29-2021 07:14 PM

Early AZO RPPC help?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Diving in the deep end of the pool again.

Have this RPPC of a baseball team that looks to be wearing late 1800's style uniforms on this postcard but - the back of the postcard shows that it dates from 1904-1918 based on stamp area style?

Other weird thing is can't identify the team. Appears to be a local athletic club that I can make out as "W. Jr. A. C." on the uniform.

Lastly - and this is a longshot!

Can anyone identify any players on this on the off chance there is a young notable or two?

Thanks all!

Bicem 08-29-2021 08:55 PM

It's not weird that you can't identify the team, there are thousands and thousands of these types of local team postcards.

rickalaska 08-30-2021 04:16 AM

RPPC Help

The Philadelphia A's donned a horizontal striped "pill box" cap somewhat similar to these from 1909 through 1914. They became popular throughout the country as the club won four American League pennants and three World Series championships during the six years the cap was worn.

The catcher's glove shown - that pillow style mitt was first developed by JF Draper in 1899 and used up until the 1920s. The guy at the bottom right appears to have a 1910-15 Reach baseman's mitt

The pants don't appear to be quilted

I don't see any "notable" players from this Athletic Club

As indicated by the AZO marking, I would guess the RPPC was from around 1910

swarmee 08-30-2021 07:47 PM

I would bet the "Jr A C" stands for Junior Athletic Club. So if you can't figure out the W, ya got nuttin.

chalupacollects 08-31-2021 06:52 AM

Exactly - its the W!

mrreality68 08-31-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickalaska (Post 2139761)
The Philadelphia A's donned a horizontal striped "pill box" cap somewhat similar to these from 1909 through 1914. They became popular throughout the country as the club won four American League pennants and three World Series championships during the six years the cap was worn.

The catcher's glove shown - that pillow style mitt was first developed by JF Draper in 1899 and used up until the 1920s. The guy at the bottom right appears to have a 1910-15 Reach baseman's mitt

The pants don't appear to be quilted

I don't see any "notable" players from this Athletic Club

As indicated by the AZO marking, I would guess the RPPC was from around 1910

WOW on the information you know. That is amazing

It is a Great piece with sharp details in the picture

2dueces 09-01-2021 06:25 AM

I’ve always had questions about these unidentifiable RPPC’s
No not the question you think. I’ve never seen 2 of the same team.
How many were printed? Just a handful for the players? Minimum run of
50? Anyone seen 2 the same?

vintagesportscollector 09-01-2021 07:28 AM

RPPCs are simply photos printed on postcard stock. It was readily available for anyone to print their photos on postcard stock. The vast majority of RPPCs you find were not meant for wider distribution or sale, and they are simply snapshots printed as postcards. The minimum run would be one or two prints. The general public could make a real photo postcard for any picture they took. In the case of this RPPC, it may have simply been a picture taken by a family member and printed only once or a couple times.