Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   UV question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300641)

YazFenway08 04-20-2021 06:35 AM

UV question

hoping to get some experiential data on a couple of basic questions...

I don't have a man cave...and I am tired of not seeing parts of my collection.

do the Ultra Pro "ball cubes" really provide solid UV protection as advertised?

Are there similar UV protection "holders" for cards? I assume that TPG slabs have no UV coating, but not sure.

I know museums have myriad ways of protecting artwork (exterior glass, individual protective glass, etc) but I am not quite ready for a full home renovation. Just curious about what options might exist. I don't have ultra-valuable autographs and collectibles...but nice enough to not want to do something stupid

thanks in advance

Mike

mr2686 04-20-2021 08:39 AM

Hi Mike,
I've found that the UV ball cubes do a very good job. With that said, even the best UV cubes/Glass/protection is only so good, and if you have a lot of constant sunlight hitting them, well, you're still going to have problems...just not as quickly. I definitely understand about wanting to display and enjoy your collection. The best thing to do is to use as much UV blocking as possible (cubes, uv glass on picture frames, etc), keep them out of as much daylight as possible (if you don't have a room that you can keep dark as much as possible, at least keep out of the direct sunlight), change out any light bulbs in your display areas to LED (even better if you can have them on a dimmer).
As far as cards, not sure what's out there for those. All of mine that are on display are in my darkened memorabilia room, so I don't worry about them as much.
Good luck,
Mike

YazFenway08 04-20-2021 09:12 AM

Thanks Mike...those are all good points. My office/Command Center is well illuminated with natural light, but 3/4 never gets anything like what I would consider "direct" sunlight....meaning the sunbeams never directly hit those walls, etc.

I am probably way over-analzing this...but I was getting paranoid over even indirect exposure....and I hadn't even considered the UV potential of artificial light

thanks again
Mike

Lordstan 04-20-2021 06:50 PM

The way i approached this problem is this.
1) LED lights only
2) mancave has only one window which is blocked so no sunlight.
3) lights are kept off when no one is in the room.
My approach was all light is bad. Anything i can do to lessen light, the better.
If my room had a lot of windows, i would have used blackout shades and only opened them when i was using the room. As Mike said, No amount of ballcubes, uv blocking glass, etc will stop decay from direct or excessive sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mr2686 04-20-2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YazFenway08 (Post 2094843)
Thanks Mike...those are all good points. My office/Command Center is well illuminated with natural light, but 3/4 never gets anything like what I would consider "direct" sunlight....meaning the sunbeams never directly hit those walls, etc.

I am probably way over-analzing this...but I was getting paranoid over even indirect exposure....and I hadn't even considered the UV potential of artificial light

thanks again
Mike

Honestly, you can't be paranoid enough over this type of stuff.