Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Proebstein123 on ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300750)

tdellis 04-22-2021 02:16 AM

Proebstein123 on ebay

Is he reputable or dies he shill bid?

earlywynnfan 04-22-2021 05:24 AM

MANY threads on shill bidding on the main page. Maybe not so much that they shill, but they don't seem to stop their consignors from doing it. I've stopped even looking at their stuff.

bnorth 04-22-2021 06:26 AM

Make sure to ask a question or 2 about the item. Allegedly that greatly increases the chances of shill bidding in Probstein123 auctions.

theshleps 04-22-2021 11:35 AM

I have sent a lot of my duplicates to Probstein to save time. Many items I am disappointed with the sale price. Many go for about the right price and occasionally I am very pleased with a higher than expected price (Though not often). I have never done any shill bidding though I suppose nothing would stop me (except my ethics). I'd be stuck paying fees if I won. I've been happy but I wouldn't put it passed unscrupulous folks from doing shill bidding on any auction item. Could do it with any company that takes consignments on ebay. And even in regular auction houses can have friends bid etc. Not sure how much this practice has done to inflate prices.
I hate more those that bid against collectors when there is a decent deal out there and then immediately try to flip items at 2-3x the price putting them out of our hands

7nohitter 04-22-2021 01:35 PM

Recently I've read many posts about submissions to Probstein which have gone missing and for which he has zero accountbility.

Snapolit1 04-22-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 2095460)
MANY threads on shill bidding on the main page. Maybe not so much that they shill, but they don't seem to stop their consignors from doing it. I've stopped even looking at their stuff.

If I list an item for sale with Probstein and then ask three of my friends to run up the price, how is Probstein supposed to identify that, much less stop it?

Scott Garner 04-22-2021 09:59 PM

Scammer

chaddurbin 04-23-2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 2095579)
Recently I've read many posts about submissions to Probstein which have gone missing and for which he has zero accountbility.

where can i find these posts? thanks. i'd have to be real desperate to send stuff to probstein to sell for me.

earlywynnfan 04-23-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2095598)
If I list an item for sale with Probstein and then ask three of my friends to run up the price, how is Probstein supposed to identify that, much less stop it?

Seems like you can pull the same crap through any auction house. However, there were numerous threads where obvious shill bidding was pointed out to Probstein, and he did nothing. If that's the kind of dealer you'd prefer to work with, then that tells me a lot about you.

7nohitter 04-23-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 2095751)
where can i find these posts? thanks. i'd have to be real desperate to send stuff to probstein to sell for me.

Quan,

Not sure if you're on Blowout...but many 'callout' threads on the Scammers/Problems section including one guy who can't get a response (for months) about his $11K in missing cards.

perezfan 04-23-2021 11:46 AM

In addition to the frequent shilling (and doing nothing to remedy it)...

Probstein has also been alerted to hundreds of altered cards in numbered PSA slabs, which he has sold. He simply does not care and proceeds with the sale, even when confronted with iron-clad evidence. He says it's a PSA problem.

Keep away if you have any ethics whatsoever.

theshleps 04-23-2021 11:57 AM

Thanks guys for informing me of the ethical problems. I do not keep up on this stuff. I never buy from him but as mentioned have used him so great to know as I will search for someone else. Any recommendations??

perezfan 04-23-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 2095924)
Thanks guys for informing me of the ethical problems. I do not keep up on this stuff. I never buy from him but as mentioned have used him so great to know as I will search for someone else. Any recommendations??

PWCC has been getting some very nice cards... perhaps the highest graded assortments eBay has to offer.

Just kidding of course. :rolleyes:

I personally like Greg Morris and Sirius. Have made some great additions through both, and have never had an issue with either one. I'm sure other people here will have some great recommendations as well.

chaddurbin 04-23-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 2095833)
Quan,

Not sure if you're on Blowout...but many 'callout' threads on the Scammers/Problems section including one guy who can't get a response (for months) about his $11K in missing cards.

thx andrew--just went thru that thread. seems like familiar complaints with him.

i don't consign much but i hear 4SC (4 sharp corners) is reliable...ymmv as always with these consignment services.

Fballguy 04-23-2021 08:37 PM

There was a time...five, ten years ago...when I was doing A LOT of research on sold item prices and more often than not, if Probstein was the seller, his items showed up first if I sorted on "highest first". Always thought that was interesting...

mightymickof56 05-03-2021 02:24 PM

Has anyone got an email from Probstein saying they switched paying consignors from paypal to electronic check? Just got an email asking for my checking information.

Topnotchsy 05-03-2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymickof56 (Post 2099136)
Has anyone got an email from Probstein saying they switched paying consignors from paypal to electronic check? Just got an email asking for my checking information.

eBay forced all sellers to switch over the payment method. Same for all sellers.

clydepepper 05-03-2021 10:57 PM

I am happy to say that he blocked me from bidding some years ago and would never tell me why...but, in retrospect, I'm better for it...since then I've seen a lot of complaints about him...karma.

clydepepper 05-03-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 2099274)
eBay forced all sellers to switch over the payment method. Same for all sellers.

That's why I switched to BST and my fellow Net54 members to work with.

Thanks again Leon!

Topnotchsy 05-03-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2099280)
That's why I switched to BST and my fellow Net54 members to work with.

Thanks again Leon!

I haven't felt the need to change my account over. Meanwhile, I can't list items on eBay. I haven't missed it enough to bother. Same as you, focusing on other platforms when I do look to sell.