Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Obvious Scam (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=346131)

Rhotchkiss 02-09-2024 06:09 AM

Obvious Scam

1 Attachment(s)
I post this in our collective, ongoing effort to root out scammers and help each other avoid getting scammed.

I started a post on the the auto part of the BST stating I wanted to buy signed, slabbed Yogi Berra cards. I did not leave an email address bc I know there are scammers and they do not need my email address. Below is a screenshot of a private message I got. Clearly a scam. First, who the hell calls someone buddy (especially if they never met). Second, the grammar is terrible. Third, it’s odd that someone I dont know would contact me for another “member”. Fourth, they say their friend has “it” when I posted wanting multiple/plural - signed cardS. Fifth, the whole thing just smelled like fish.

So I looked up the username - joined today, no posts.

Clearly a scam. Way too many red flags. If it walks and quacks like a duck, it’s likely a scammer.

Be vigilant and don’t be a sucker

Maybe post other examples of attempted scams so people can spot them quickly and easily

4815162342 02-09-2024 06:14 AM

Obvious Scam

Ryan, I received a similar PM recently.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bff7c054aa.jpg

The same phone…

I PM’d Leon about it and he banned him. Thanks again, Leon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

milkit1 02-09-2024 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I received TWO in the same day for VERY SPECIFIC cards Im looking for lol:

Attachment 609494

NiceDocter 02-09-2024 09:15 AM

My favorite

Best one I ever got was from a Crocodile Dundee wannabe….. “G’Day mate! I believe I have one of these in my garage…. “ LOL got a nice laugh outa that one

Brian Van Horn 02-09-2024 09:26 AM

From have to has in the messages. Well, at least one thing in the con has improved in a positive way.

G1911 02-09-2024 09:46 AM

The positive is the scams are low effort, at least.

Poor grammar and syntax? Check

Immediate request to email a different address? Check

Cheap crappy Android designed for second and third world markets in the Tapatalk sent from? Check

May they never get better and high effort.

JustinD 02-09-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2411530)
Cheap crappy Android designed for second and third world markets in the Tapatalk sent from? Check

I was going to say the same, lol

Tecno phones are made in China mainly for the African and India markets. Wow, is that a knockout giveaway.

Leon 02-09-2024 10:29 AM

scammers

1 Attachment(s)
As long as we have Tapatalk scammers are going to happen....Just be careful

and a card from the BST that wasn't a scam.

G1911 02-09-2024 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2411539)
I was going to say the same, lol

Tecno phones are made in China mainly for the African and India markets. Wow, is that a knockout giveaway.

It really is. I trade with lots of people who cannot write very well; but nobody using Indian market cell phones.

They make a pretty impressive product considering it costs like ~$70 USD. It's really a wonderful thing that access to completely functional and useful smartphones are spreading down quickly to poorer and poorer residents of low standard of living countries, so much potential here to create better quality of life and open new opportunities for previously disconnected people. Unfortunately in the context of western collecting hobbies, encountering these phones = 100% a scammer lol

Leon 02-12-2024 10:00 AM

Member verfification checklist

Similar to Ryan's (hi Ryan) first post, here are some more/redundant, thoughts. They can't be stressed enough. Rarely a day goes by that I don't get PM's concerning verifying members and that is a good thing.

When you think you have received one of those scam PM's or emails -

1. Check to see if they are already banned.
2. Do they have broken/really poor grammar?
2. Check to see when they registered.
3. Check to see how many, and what kind of, posts they have made.
4. Trying to take money via a no refund method and in a hurry.

If they have been here for years with lots of posts, they aren't a troll/scammer. Anyone can still do a bad deal but those are telltale signs of the trolls.

KNOW YOUR TRADING PARTNER
Please always check with me, or another moderator, if there is any question whatsoever on someone's credibility.

cliffyb 02-13-2024 02:05 PM

Scammer appears again

Similar response to my post for a T206 Mathewson or WaJo Piedmont 42. Here’s his response to me from anthony134hatcher:

Hi there, my old man has this for sale in good condition, Reach him out for more information. stephenchalker6@gmail.com
Thanks.

This ‘member’ joined today.

4815162342 02-13-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffyb (Post 2412599)
Similar response to my post for a T206 Mathewson or WaJo Piedmont 42. Here’s his response to me from anthony134hatcher:

Hi there, my old man has this for sale in good condition, Reach him out for more information. stephenchalker6@gmail.com
Thanks.

This ‘member’ joined today.

The scammer has made one post to show that he’s a true American, comrade. He also removed his Tapatalk signature.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d83ed11f38.jpg

orator1 02-13-2024 03:56 PM

I just received this private message in response to my BST post:

Thanks.

Sent from my TECNO BD4h using Tapatalk

Svabinsky78 02-13-2024 08:37 PM

I would not be surprised if this is the same person or outfit who goes by James Griffin (who has already been banned on here), Frederic Larssen, David Clevenger....

Last few times he reached out to me, it was his "old cousin" who had the cards I was looking for in good condition.

Yoda 02-14-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2412601)
The scammer has made one post to show that he’s a true American, comrade. He also removed his Tapatalk signature.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d83ed11f38.jpg

What a touching testimonial; your work will live on even if you are dead as a doornail. How comforting.

pawpawdiv9 02-16-2024 12:23 PM

Got a possible scam PM today:

Quote:

Default Ping Bodie, Sam Rice, & George Sisler
Hi there, my old cousin has this for sale in good condition, Reach him out for more information. frendoheather@gmail.com
Thanks.

AND- also their 1 post was about TOBY KEITH

Quote:

His cause of death is stomach cancer and he died at the age of 62 ...
Last edited by bowmantaylor65; Today at 12:40 PM.

toledo_mudhen 02-16-2024 01:07 PM

If you follow up on the inter webs (Compughana) you come to this

Address: JR59+RH7, Accra, Ghana is the only place you can buy them(?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2411560)
It really is. I trade with lots of people who cannot write very well; but nobody using Indian market cell phones.

They make a pretty impressive product considering it costs like ~$70 USD. It's really a wonderful thing that access to completely functional and useful smartphones are spreading down quickly to poorer and poorer residents of low standard of living countries, so much potential here to create better quality of life and open new opportunities for previously disconnected people. Unfortunately in the context of western collecting hobbies, encountering these phones = 100% a scammer lol

orator1 02-29-2024 04:04 PM

Just received this pm regarding my BST post:

From marshallwave84
Hi there, my old cousin has this for sale in good condition, Reach him out for more information robertnattan@gmail.com
Thanks.

Leon 02-29-2024 04:07 PM

I get PMs almost once a day, sometimes more, concerning bad actors just like this.
And this maroon has now been banned.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by orator1 (Post 2416330)
Just received this pm regarding my BST post:

From marshallwave84
Hi there, my old cousin has this for sale in good condition, Reach him out for more information robertnattan@gmail.com
Thanks.

calvindog 02-29-2024 05:06 PM

Why is it always a cousin? And why doesn’t the cousin just contact us directly?

judsonhamlin 02-29-2024 06:55 PM

Clearly the cousin is in jail in another country (or New Hampshire, which is popular) and is too busy trying to get his grandparents to come up with bail money.

bk400 02-29-2024 09:33 PM

If you actually follow through and ask to see a scan of the card and for the seller's PayPal information, you get the story about how the cousin or dad has trouble with the banks and doesn't have any accounts.

I suspect that the scammers like card collectors, as demographically there is a perception (accurate or not) that we are older, American, wealthier, and not very tech savvy.

jethrod3 02-29-2024 11:19 PM

I learned many things today. Among them:

1) Most scammers have an old cousin or an old man with great cards!
2) Scammers love now-deceased American country music stars!
:)

steve B 03-01-2024 07:38 AM

Agreed that it's a scam, but I will add this.

On my bicycle list I posted about needing a small length of a special chain. I got a reply along the lines of "I know a guy on the list, what exactly do you need. " Sent details and a scan of the one I have that I needed a few extra links for.
The guy who actually had it is a member of the USCyclingHOF, older and raced in the 50's and 60s as a pro. He was basically having another member screen some stuff to avoid nuisances. Once I passed the "audition" he contacted me directly, and was very helpful. I would have been happy with any brand, but he sent the exact number of needed links of the exact chain, right brand, right log, perfect. ANd gave me a lot of good advice about other aspects of the bike I was fixing. (special one, and he did that sort of racing and learned from people who were around when my 1920s-30's bike was new. )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2411469)
I post this in our collective, ongoing effort to root out scammers and help each other avoid getting scammed.

I started a post on the the auto part of the BST stating I wanted to buy signed, slabbed Yogi Berra cards. I did not leave an email address bc I know there are scammers and they do not need my email address. Below is a screenshot of a private message I got. Clearly a scam. First, who the hell calls someone buddy (especially if they never met). Second, the grammar is terrible. Third, it’s odd that someone I dont know would contact me for another “member”. Fourth, they say their friend has “it” when I posted wanting multiple/plural - signed cardS. Fifth, the whole thing just smelled like fish.

So I looked up the username - joined today, no posts.

Clearly a scam. Way too many red flags. If it walks and quacks like a duck, it’s likely a scammer.

Be vigilant and don’t be a sucker

Maybe post other examples of attempted scams so people can spot them quickly and easily

MVSNYC 03-01-2024 08:44 AM

Thanks Ryan, et al. This thread helped me quickly sniff out a scam message a few weeks ago.

orator1 03-02-2024 12:00 PM

Just today...

jayalexander956
Hi mate , you can check with Nathan he has it available for sale , his late dad was a member of this forum you can reach him out robertnattan@gmail.com, I purchased item from him and they arrived in top condition

Leon 03-02-2024 12:43 PM

As I had said, almost every day. I am usually being conservative on these things. I could probably take out the "almost". This one is gone.

Anyone can always PM me or another moderator to get these banned...thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by orator1 (Post 2416789)
Just today...

jayalexander956
Hi mate , you can check with Nathan he has it available for sale , his late dad was a member of this forum you can reach him out robertnattan@gmail.com, I purchased item from him and they arrived in top condition

Rhotchkiss 03-02-2024 01:36 PM

The attempts are so weak and obvious that at this point, if you get scammed by one of these guys, you deserve it!

toledo_mudhen 03-03-2024 05:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaqrPpdQYc