Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So What Do I Have Here? (1887 N172 Old Judgeish) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325453)

Orioles1954 09-26-2022 06:18 PM

So What Do I Have Here? (1887 N172 Old Judgeish)

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the large photos. Don't know how to fiddle with those. Just bought a large collection that had all bunch of weird stuff in there. This appears to be a very trimmed 1887 Old Judge. It appears to be laminated and has a fake looking store stamp on the back. Have no idea who the player is. Not sure if the whole card is fake or just the back stamp. Any guidance would be appreciated.

rhettyeakley 09-26-2022 06:26 PM

You have a Janet H. reprint from the 1970’s. She was a scammer that took advantage of many early collectors with these fake Old Judge cards. She was also the one that made and distributed the fake Henry Johnson E121/E135 cards and the fake Standard Biscuit cards that are often found in collections of many hobby Pioneers. She was obviously using the early hobby periodical that had collectors home addresses and would solicit them that way. I have several of these letters from the collection of a hobby pioneer which I purchased several years ago.

Joe_G. 09-26-2022 06:31 PM

I believe you are looking at a reprint of Dick Conway, pose 89-4. The front on its own looks suspect, the back also looks suspect. What are the measurements on the card?

Update . . .

Didn't see Rhett's response as I hit submit. I wasn't aware of the details here, thanks for the share Rhett!

Orioles1954 09-27-2022 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 2267770)
You have a Janet H. reprint from the 1970’s. She was a scammer that took advantage of many early collectors with these fake Old Judge cards. She was also the one that made and distributed the fake Henry Johnson E121/E135 cands and the fake Standard Biscuit cards that are often found in collections of many hobby Pioneers. She was obviously using the early hobby periodical that had collectors home addresses and would solicite them that way. I have several if these letters from the collection of a hobby pioneer which I purchased several years ago.

Sweet! That’s exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated and off to the trash it goes.

Orioles1954 09-27-2022 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_G. (Post 2267772)
I believe you are looking at a reprint of Dick Conway, pose 89-4. The front on its own looks suspect, the back also looks suspect. What are the measurements on the card?

Update . . .

Didn't see Rhett's response as I hit submit. I wasn't aware of the details here, thanks for the share Rhett!

Thanks for the pose info. Appreciated.

Beercan collector 09-27-2022 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 2267770)
You have a Janet H. reprint from the 1970’s. She was a scammer that took advantage of many early collectors with these fake Old Judge cards. She was also the one that made and distributed the fake Henry Johnson E121/E135 cands and the fake Standard Biscuit cards that are often found in collections of many hobby Pioneers. She was obviously using the early hobby periodical that had collectors home addresses and would solicite them that way. I have several if these letters from the collection of a hobby pioneer which I purchased several years ago.

Has this site considered a “ thumbs up “ for informative-useful- appreciated posts ?

steve B 09-27-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2267814)
Sweet! That’s exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated and off to the trash it goes.

I'd be glad to give it a home along with my other early fake.
To me it's a piece of hobby history, maybe not a happy one, but still.

Orioles1954 09-27-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2267909)
I'd be glad to give it a home along with my other early fake.
To me it's a piece of hobby history, maybe not a happy one, but still.

Another fellow beat you to it.