Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cubs Photo Standee (Burke?) Please help identify player (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=229450)

perezfan 10-03-2016 03:15 PM

Cubs Photo Standee (Burke?) Please help identify player

3 Attachment(s)
Below are some photos of a Cubs Standee, circa early 1920s. I believe the uniform dates it specifically to the 1921 - 24 time frame. It stands 13" tall, and likely can be attributed to photographer George Burke. There are, however no marks or stamping to verify this.

Regarding the specific player, I assured my friend that this forum could solve the mystery. Please help identify the player portrayed here...

Many thanks!
Mark

bravos4evr 10-03-2016 04:10 PM

man, it really looks like cubs first baseman Ray Grimes. I will do a little more work and see if I can confirm it for you tho.

Forever Young 10-03-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1590737)
Below are some photos of a Cubs Standee, circa early 1920s. I believe the uniform dates it specifically to the 1921 - 24 time frame. It stands 13" tall, and likely can be attributed to photographer George Burke. There are, however no marks or stamping to verify this.

Regarding the specific player, I assured my friend that this forum could solve the mystery. Please help identify the player portrayed here...

Many thanks!
Mark

Whoever it is, it is super cool.

sporteq 10-03-2016 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark, here's my standee. This is from the Charlie Root family that I know personally. I didn't not buy this from them. My standee looks to be in the early 1930s much later than your example. And more spooky too. Some missing their heads, unfortunately. I heard these were made with Burke photos too.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 10-04-2016 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The large uniform letters in an arc seem to date the jersey to 1919. If this photo was indeed taken during that season, the best match I could find could very well make this player Joel Newkirk, who pitched exactly two innings of one game that year (one of only three MLB appearances over two seasons). Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a clear image of him facing the right way! This image doesn't provide enough detail to match the cleft in his chin, but the facial features are a very strong match.

prewarsports 10-04-2016 11:10 AM

The Burke Standees are all matt finish, black and white and all I have seen have come with the same silver stand on the bottom. They ALL have come from the players estates as far as I know. I've probably handled or seen 3 dozen at auction or in person over the years and every single one fits this description so far.

The one in question is earlier and a different style so my guess would be it is not a Burke but is still cool either way.

Rhys

perezfan 10-04-2016 11:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks all.... this is tougher than I envisioned. I still think its circa 1921 - 24, based on the navy blue sun collar. Neither the 1919 or 1920 jerseys have this feature (see below).

I also believe there's a chance the "Cubs" wordmark only appears arched, due to the way the uniform is draped on his chest.

Still seeking any and all opinions, but I'm leaning towards Grimes as well. Thanks again to all who've contributed!

BillyCoxDodgers3B 10-04-2016 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the clarification regarding the uniform. Excuse my error on the date. The formation of the "U" is different in 1919, and the letters are red and blue, thereby excluding that season. To me, this player bears a stronger resemblance to Newkirk than Grimes. The cleft in the chin appears to be more pronounced in the standee photo. Can anyone provide more photos of either man?

Here's a clear 1921 Conlon photo of Grimes. It's so close (right eyebrow, ear, puffy eyes), but I'm put off by the subtle differences (right nostril, tip of nose, lack of steeliness in the eyes) which are what keep me leaning towards it possibly being Newkirk or someone else. Thus far, nobody else from the 1921 club comes close.

ETA: Would the standee photo likely date to 1923? The pairing of the blue/white hat with the blue sun collar on a road uniform might just narrow it down to that season. If that's indeed correct, then a much more obvious case can be made for Ray Grimes.

bravos4evr 10-04-2016 12:21 PM

I can't find a better Newkirk pic anywhere, the reason I liked Grimes was the ears and nose looked perfect.... IDK, I can't say for certain, but if I had to bet I'd go with Grimes, I wonder if the lighting made the cleft pop in the standee photo over the direct sunlight of the other pic?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 10-04-2016 12:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just for fun, here are autographs of Oscar Ray Grimes, Sr., brother Roy's 1954 signed Eagles membership card and a 1939 example of Oscar Ray Grimes, Jr.

Both Grimes brothers managed a bit in the minors. Ray, Sr. spent years as a potter at Cronin China, while Roy operated a boat dock. At some point, the brothers partnered up to form a paint contracting business.

perezfan 10-04-2016 12:46 PM

Thanks guys! I do think it's Grimes (I like the ears!)

I'll let my friend know, and please know that he thanks you all as well!

Ps. Feel free to post more, if additional evidence points elsewhere. :o

bravos4evr 10-04-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1591000)

you sir, and your friend, are very welcome! If i find anything that changes my opinion I will certainly pass it on!

bmarlowe1 10-07-2016 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1591000)

Your Standee appears to have a chin cleft.

thecatspajamas 10-07-2016 12:13 PM

+1 to what Rhys said above regarding the possibility of this having been produced by George Burke. Also keep in mind that Burke did not begin photographing baseball players until 1929. While it would have been possible for him to use another photographer's earlier photo to produce something like this years later, it seems unlikely, and every Burke standee that I have seen used his own photos for production.

Still a very cool piece, but most likely not produced by George Burke.

perezfan 10-07-2016 12:32 PM

Thanks...

Will let me friend know it's likely not a Burke, and that the player remains unidentified.

Thanks for everyone's insight, as this one was outside of my wheelhouse!