Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   James Norris Trophy (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309789)

Tomi 10-30-2021 08:38 PM

James Norris Trophy

Why in the world don't they just name the award after Bobby Orr instead of someone who never even played the game. He played 9 full seasons and won the award 8 straight years. No Brainer. If any award needs a name change this one is it.

Jim65 10-31-2021 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomi (Post 2158977)
Why in the world don't they just name the award after Bobby Orr instead of someone who never even played the game. He played 9 full seasons and won the award 8 straight years. No Brainer. If any award needs a name change this one is it.

It might eventually happen. Althought Bettman probably has no idea who Orr is and would probably rename it Nicklas Lidstrom Award.

One thing I always loved about hockey was they really honored their history. Growing up with Patrick Division, Campbell Conference, Adams Division, etc made me want to find out who those guys were. Its a shame it was done way with.

Exhibitman 10-31-2021 01:59 PM

I was just thinking when I saw the thread title that it should be the Orr trophy.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...0OPC%20Orr.jpg

Huysmans 11-01-2021 07:12 AM

And what happens if someone in the future should win it more times than Orr? Change the name again, and keep changing it?

Orr certainly doesn't need a trophy in his name to honour or reinforce his greatness... so no, keep it as is. Things do not need to always change.

Plus, with this logic, things will keep being renamed for modern/recent players and that "history" that is seen as so important will completely vanish and be forgotten....

brian1961 11-12-2021 09:30 AM

Well, James Norris was the owner the Detroit Red Wings from 1932 - 1952, and therefore among the exclusive group in the NHL hierarchy. He may have purchased the beautiful trophy and donated it to the league. The Commis naturally would name it after Mr. Norris. If I recall, Detroit was going "great guns" when the trophy was initiated, and had a defenseman who would win the award several times---Red Kelly. That is, until 1955, when Montreal's Doug Harvey won his first, OF SEVEN, Norris Trophies.

They finally came up with a Maurice Richard Trophy for the leading goal scorer of the season. So long overdue, but Maurice was "only" a simple, complicated, spectacular player, and a "nobody" to the NHL big shots whose own team paid him paltry salaries. I agree with you all; it's high time for the NHL to change the name of its best defenseman of the year to Bobby Orr. No words in defense of that change are necessary, other than, 'twill be a good move, that. --Brian Powell

Cheers. --- Brian Powell

Eric72 11-19-2021 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictured here is an AWESOME Net54 SS gift I received in 2020.

I say keep the trophy name as it is. Short, slippery slopes can take one from "Norris Trophy" to the "XYZ Corporation Defensive Player of the Year" trinket.

brian1961 11-19-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2165961)
Pictured here is an AWESOME Net54 SS gift I received in 2020.

I say keep the trophy name as it is. Short, slippery slopes can take one from "Norris Trophy" to the "XYZ Corporation Defensive Player of the Year" trinket.

What ever you do, Eric, do NOT bandy about your fear of the Norris Trophy morphing to "XYZ Corporation Defensive Player of the Year". The wrong ears are liable to start smiling and going "HMMM" with that dreaded musical tone that means "hey, I like the sound of that; wait 'til I tell the boss about MY new idea! He'll latch on to it, it'll happen, and I'll get a big raise and promotion." -- Brian Powell

Eric72 11-20-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 2166052)
What ever you do, Eric, do NOT bandy about your fear of the Norris Trophy morphing to "XYZ Corporation Defensive Player of the Year". The wrong ears are liable to start smiling and going "HMMM" with that dreaded musical tone that means "hey, I like the sound of that; wait 'til I tell the boss about MY new idea! He'll latch on to it, it'll happen, and I'll get a big raise and promotion." -- Brian Powell

Hopefully, the boss will tell him, “…that’s the worst idea since FoxTrax. Trust me, kid, I was there. The nightmares still haven’t gone away.”

brian1961 11-20-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2166194)
Hopefully, the boss will tell him, “…that’s the worst idea since FoxTrax. Trust me, kid, I was there. The nightmares still haven’t gone away.”

Ha-ha-ha. Well said, Eric. --- Brian Powell