Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Did Your Mother Throw Your BB Cards Out? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=189983)

HolyGrail 06-25-2014 07:28 AM

Did Your Mother Throw Your BB Cards Out?

You won't believe what these collectors lost when their mothers threw their cards out?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsei...aseball-cards/

Leon 06-25-2014 07:41 AM

I am going crazy :)....Two different articles and both are good. I am having more coffee!!

ValKehl 06-25-2014 10:02 AM

One day, after I had finished college, gotten married, and had 4 rugrats (3 of them boys), Mom called out of the blue to inform me that she and Dad were cleaning out their storage area and had come across a couple of boxes of my baseball cards (I collected during the years 1955-1960). Mom asked if I wanted them or if she should toss them. After a bit of thought, thinking that my toddlers might get interested in card collecting when they got older, I asked her to hold onto them until I next visited and retrieved them. At that time, I never imagined that my interest in collecting would ever be rekindled. My boys never got interested in baseball or card collecting - they became soccerholics, along with most of their neighborhood buddies. But, thankfully, when my collecting interest did get rekindled years later, I still had my childhood collection!
Val

Kawika 06-25-2014 10:16 AM

What a great article! A real nice walk down Memory Lane for this ancient kid. A shoebox full of '50's Topps baseball, football, basketball and hockey, autographed Yankee scorecards, stacks of Superman comics, Mad magazines, my Rin Tin Tin bugle boy cap and my Davy Crockett coonskin hat - all landfill courtesy of Mom. Somewhere deep down inside my inner child is still pissed off.

A minor quibble: you might want to fix the reference to the 1910 Topp's throwback set.

vintagecpa 06-25-2014 10:20 AM

Before the Ebay days, there was always the assumption that a ton of collections were thrown away by Mom. After Ebay, I think we have learned that Mom didn't throw out quite as many cards as once thought.

ZachS 06-25-2014 11:08 AM

Nope... but I wish she would have. Now I've got a few boxes full of early 90's Donruss, Bowman, and Topps sitting around in my closet.

Ladder7 06-25-2014 11:17 AM

Lost all my cards, except for one. '68 OPC Orr

4815162342 06-25-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagecpa (Post 1291193)
Before the Ebay days, there was always the assumption that a ton of collections were thrown away by Mom. After Ebay, I think we have learned that Mom didn't throw out quite as many cards as once thought.

+1

I think that the "Mom threw the cards out" rumors were started by dealers back in the day.

DaveW 06-25-2014 01:18 PM

My mom saved all my cards until I was out of college and then gave them to me. All from 1966-1970. Thanks Mom!
I always wondered why Moms threw out so many real cards when grandpa kept so many fakes in the attic. :)

roce4e52 06-25-2014 01:19 PM

all gone

My Mom thru out my Mad and Cracked mags, all my comics, and civil war cards, Mars Attacks and early 60's baseball cards. Still makes me sad to think about it.

insccollectibles 06-25-2014 01:34 PM

Love You Grandma

My grandmother saved my cards in the attic of her house. She surprised me with all my toys, cards, everything she could store from my childhood when I bought my house a few years ago. Her quote was something like this "You always said these damn things were going to be worth something so I saved them. Love you"

Harford20 06-25-2014 02:05 PM

Bad Memories

In the 1970's, I used to be a meticulous baseball and football card collector. I remember, even at 10 years old, trading multiple cards (even stars) to get the "most perfect" card I could find from all my collecting friends. I was only a set collector at that time. I never used rubber bands. My father built a wooden case, bottom felt lined, that slide under my bed. Allthough I cannot remember exactly my collection, I likely had near complete NM/Mint sets from 1969 to 1978, both in baseball and football.

In late 1978, my father and step-mother had a falling out, and my father, brother and I moved out over the Christmas holidays. Divorce ensured quickly. I later received a card with a photo of my prior step-brothers burning my collection, as my step-mother told them that I no longer wanted the cards.

It took me 15 years to restart collecting cards after that.

jbsports33 06-25-2014 02:54 PM

Did Your Mother Throw Your BB Cards Out?

My Dad's mom trashed all his 1933 and 1934 Goudey cards back in the 1980s, when I was about 9 he was going to give them to me - but my Nana said I throw out everything last summer.

I did not collect pre-war at the time, I was just getting into the cards so much, my Dad thought it would be a good time to give them to me

Jimmy

mrvster 06-25-2014 03:00 PM

My mom......

and Dad got me hooked on cards cause I loved baseball since I was 5....My mom saved my cards.....She got me an uncut sheet of '82 topps as a kid from a card show in TOMS RIVER NEW JERSEY at a mall show.....the sheet got damage on it, and folded a few times over the years, but she still kept it for me.!!!.....there is a damage to the
RIPKEN on it....its a piece I will treasure to the day I die......

a story of a mom who saved her kids cards:)

kcohen 06-25-2014 03:13 PM

Yes, she did - either threw them out or gave them to a neighbor kid (she couldn't remember which). That's all I have to say on the matter as I'd rather not talk about it. :mad:

ValKehl 06-25-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcohen (Post 1291307)
Yes, she did - either threw them out or gave them to a neighbor kid (she couldn't remember which). That's all I have to say on the matter as I'd rather not talk about it. :mad:

Hey Ken,
I wonder if these were the cards your BIL Barry P. (he was a neighbor, right?) gave me after he tired of them!
Just teasin' ya, :D
Val

Stonepony 06-25-2014 04:35 PM

Mom didn't throw out BB cards.... but she did toss all my Silver Age Spider-Man comics:eek:

billyb 06-25-2014 07:22 PM

Wow, that article could have been about me!!!!!
Almost everything to a tee, right down to my last name (Boyd). the only difference, while I was in the service, my dad told my mother to throw them out. About the same years of cards too, mid 50s to mid 60s. Rubber bands and all. Wow.

ullmandds 06-25-2014 07:51 PM

My mother knew better than to throw any baseball related anything away...I sold my childhood collection 0f late 70's-early 80's complete sets and most star cards from the late 50's-present through Mel Solomon...anyone out there know Mel? He belonged to my temple growing up in northern NJ...and I gave him my collection and asked for $1000...which he dripped to me as he sold cards and when I was made whole...he kept the rest.

I wanted the cash for a 77' camaro as I had previously totalled the 76 granada.

kmac32 06-25-2014 08:36 PM

Saved mine from mom and it grew into vintage collecting.

71buc 06-25-2014 08:39 PM

My Grandmother toss my father's cards from the 40's and 50's . He learned a painful lesson and thankfully all of mine survived girls and college debauchery.

jimtigers65 06-25-2014 08:52 PM

I grew up in the 1970's and my mom collected antiques so she knew not to throw out my cards. In fact, she used to drive me to baseball card shows in the Flint and Detroit area. She laughed saying middle age men carrying briefcases full of cards. Now, I mention to her that I am middle age and still collecting.

bnorth 06-26-2014 12:23 PM

I was already out of the house by the time I started collecting. On the other end of the scale my younger brother(38) just got his cards(99% junk era) out of our parents house a couple months ago.

Tiger Eye 06-26-2014 03:13 PM

She threw them out, but they weren't worth much

It's kind of funny but I can vividly remember riding my bike with a 1962 Topps Mantle clothes pinned to the spokes! I was 11 years old back then and a group of us neighborhood kids would get together with our stacks of cards fastened with a tight red rubber-band and play games of toss. And we all had multiple cards fastened to our bike wheels.... Yes, Mom through my cards out, but I don't think they would be worth much today in the condition I remember.... Nice to recall those memories.....

Vernon Fabre

brewing 06-26-2014 07:08 PM

I started after value was well known. The tragedy is my dad's shoebox. It wasn't thrown out, it was sold for $20 two years before I started collecting. A full box of 1958-1960 Topps, with some of my uncles 1948 Bowmans.