Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 with light grey writing under caption (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=321352)

Pat R 06-22-2022 06:44 PM

T206 with light grey writing under caption

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this Doc white with what looks like lighter grey writing underneath the caption.

Attachment 522226

Attachment 522227

I don't remember seeing any other T206's like this but I do remember this Lord T215 that is similar.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=24837

G1911 06-22-2022 06:58 PM

Maybe it’s the scan or my eyes, but the frame around the picture looks awfully light grey too.

rebelsart 06-22-2022 07:18 PM

T206 with light grey writing under caption

Nice pick up Patrick! This is kind of similar the T206 Anderson cards that seem to have a double caption.

Pat R 06-23-2022 05:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2236420)
Maybe it’s the scan or my eyes, but the frame around the picture looks awfully light grey too.

I think some of what you're seeing is the shift of the frame or the light grey, on the lower left portion the edge of the light grey appears to be the frame in the smaller scan but the frame is actually to the right in the image however the lower right hand side of the frame does look lighter.
Attachment 522244

My thinking is the shift is why the lighter caption is there but I always assumed the caption was one pass and if it was two why don't we see the lighter one on cards like these
Attachment 522245

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelsart (Post 2236423)
Nice pick up Patrick! This is kind of similar the T206 Anderson cards that seem to have a double caption.

Thanks Art. It is similar to the Anderson but the colors are the same on the partial double caption on the Anderson.
Attachment 522246

nineunder71 06-23-2022 06:18 AM

Pat, It doesn’t look like the exact same letters exist with the lighter shade writing as in the caption on your Doc White. I see multiple differences, but check out between the G and the O in Chicago, whatever is in lighter shade above those letters is most definitely not a G or an O.

steve B 06-23-2022 08:44 PM

That's a very cool card.
A couple ideas on how it happened, and a shift isn't one. The black is shifted up and right compared to the gray elsewhere, so having gray be up and left of the black caption doesn't work for a simple shift.

One possibility is that it's a remnant of when a worn plate was resurfaced and the transfers re-done. If the resurfacing wasn't complete, a misplaced and partial caption could be the result.

The other idea is that the caption was mistakenly added to the gray plate and only partly erased. Or that it transferred poorly and they just didn't bother fixing it.

On a different track, I've mentioned before that some cards show some indication that a two color press was used. This is a great example.
Yellow and Gray are both a bit left of the other colors, but are registered very well to each other.
Brown is shifted up and right along with black, but it's hard to tel if they're shifted the same distance.

Pat R 06-24-2022 07:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineunder71 (Post 2236468)
Pat, It doesn’t look like the exact same letters exist with the lighter shade writing as in the caption on your Doc White. I see multiple differences, but check out between the G and the O in Chicago, whatever is in lighter shade above those letters is most definitely not a G or an O.

Yeah I noticed that too Colton. Here a couple that I tried to enhance the letters on, it looks like it could possibly be an N over the E in white.

Attachment 522371
Attachment 522372

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2236697)
That's a very cool card.
A couple ideas on how it happened, and a shift isn't one. The black is shifted up and right compared to the gray elsewhere, so having gray be up and left of the black caption doesn't work for a simple shift.

One possibility is that it's a remnant of when a worn plate was resurfaced and the transfers re-done. If the resurfacing wasn't complete, a misplaced and partial caption could be the result.

The other idea is that the caption was mistakenly added to the gray plate and only partly erased. Or that it transferred poorly and they just didn't bother fixing it.

On a different track, I've mentioned before that some cards show some indication that a two color press was used. This is a great example.
Yellow and Gray are both a bit left of the other colors, but are registered very well to each other.
Brown is shifted up and right along with black, but it's hard to tel if they're shifted the same distance.

Thanks Steve I see what you mean.

chriskim 06-25-2022 08:24 AM

I wish i can actually view those images on this post to see the comparison. Anyways, at least I can view what card you guys are talking about from the REA link. A very interesting card. Congrats!

Pat R 06-25-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 2237120)
I wish i can actually view those images on this post to see the comparison. Anyways, at least I can view what card you guys are talking about from the REA link. A very interesting card. Congrats!

You should be able to see these Chris.

[IMG]https://photos.imageevent.com/patric...20-%20Copy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://photos.imageevent.com/patric...Copy%20_3_.jpg[/IMG]

chriskim 06-25-2022 08:42 AM

Good morning Pat!

Thank you for posting those White pics that I can see. Really appreciated!

That Lord is definitely an interesting card, it was actually from a PSA case then crossover to SGC and back to PSA.

(Edited... just realized you picked up the White card, not the Lord t215)

Pat R 06-25-2022 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After doing some more research it looks like it is like most other print flaws and it's a particular sheet position flaw.

I found another one like the one I picked up and besides the caption flaw they both share another flaw where there is a spot of yellow missing.

Attachment 522583

chriskim 06-25-2022 05:14 PM

It is interesting that the "ghosting" of those captions are in grey and not brown which was the color being used for printing caption.

Pat R 06-25-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 2237319)
It is interesting that the "ghosting" of those captions are in grey and not brown which was the color being used for printing caption.

Steve's explanation seems to make the most sense so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2236697)
That's a very cool card.