Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Color Barrier Robbed us of some Great Players and Great Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309876)

Seven 11-01-2021 03:27 PM

The Color Barrier Robbed us of some Great Players and Great Cards

I've always been fascinated by the Negro Leagues and other early organized baseball leagues that housed players that couldn't play in the Majors. I think it's because of the almost fairy tale like quality some of the stories have around the players that were involved in them. Any average fan with an interest in Baseball's history probably knows of the guys like Satchel Paige, and Josh Gibson, perhaps even Oscar Charleston. It's the players that aren't too well known that are even more intriguing

We don't hear of players like Jose Mendez being talked about too often. Turkey Stearnes, Mule Stuttles, Cristobal Torriente. Players who in their day would've had starting roles on Major League teams, only to be blocked by a Defacto agreement by the commissioner and most of the owners.

Even as we transition into the later years of Baseball, we even see stories of owners downright refusing to go after some ball players, even after Robinson broke the color barrier. I often think about this article in the Times, a few years ago, (linked below) talking about how the Yankees (and probably a handful of other teams) had an opportunity to sign Willie Mays but refused to do so because GM George Weiss at the time was concerned how it would be perceived by Fans if the Yankees signed a black ball player. I can't even begin to imagine what the 50's and 60's would've looked like for the Yankees had they had Mantle and Mays patrolling the same outfield!

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/s...ll/13mays.html

And as a side note, as these men were robbed of playing in the majors, amongst other things, they could not become immortalized in cardboard. I could only imagine how cool it would be to see Goudey issues of Josh Gibson, or Caramel Cards of Oscar Charleston. God how different baseball history would've been as well. You can only wonder what teams these players would've ended up on, and how their greatness would've shown itself in the MLB.

steve B 11-04-2021 02:34 PM

I've wondered a few times why a popular league had so nearly no cards of any kind.

Seven 11-06-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2160591)
I've wondered a few times why a popular league had so nearly no cards of any kind.

Probably due to licensing issues along with a racial sentiment, I'd wager. There are actually a couple of sets in the early 20's that had prominent players like Oscar Charleston. Believe it was a Cuban Tobacco set. Gibson however missed out on that, as he was not playing yet.

Arazi4442 11-06-2021 07:37 PM

Imagine a T206 Rube Foster, American Caramel Satchel Paige or 1933 Goudey Josh Gibson……

egri 11-06-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arazi4442 (Post 2161409)
Imagine a T206 Rube Foster, American Caramel Satchel Paige or 1933 Goudey Josh Gibson……

If Bob Lemke was still around, I would have liked to see what he could come up with.

steve B 11-08-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2161226)
Probably due to licensing issues along with a racial sentiment, I'd wager. There are actually a couple of sets in the early 20's that had prominent players like Oscar Charleston. Believe it was a Cuban Tobacco set. Gibson however missed out on that, as he was not playing yet.

Licensing seems doubtful. The fees for major leaguers at the time were pretty low and I have to think the Negro leaguers wouldn't have been more, probably less.

The Cuban cards were as I understand it, from the players playing there in the winter, so a normal part of the Cuban leagues.

Unless I have it wrong, there was a whole separate group of businesses serving the local communities, and I'm surprised none of those businesses produced anything like a card set in the entire first half of the 20th century. Not even a small set for the local team.

cardsagain74 11-09-2021 03:15 AM

As far as other sports, the fact that most fans wouldn't even know the names Marion Motley and Bill Willis just shows how insignificant football was in the late '40s.

Not only did they beat Jackie Robinson to the "big leagues", but they were both such dominant players from the outset of their NFL career. Motley was probably even better than Jim Brown (but didn't get nearly as many carries, so his numbers were largely ignored).