Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Let's start a game used glove thread. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305751)

SyrNy1960 07-30-2021 05:45 AM

Let's start a game used glove thread.

* Denny Esken: “A player’s game used fielding glove is the most difficult player piece to get. Gloves are far more personal. It takes weeks and months to break one in properly, to make it conform to the hand, to train it to scoop sharp grounders out of the dirt or pull down screaming line drives. A glove is like a dog – you have to train them to get them to do what you want.”

I recently picked up this 2005 Alex Rodriguez Rawlings PRO 6HF Fielding Glove. The glove is signed and inscribed “Alex Rodriguez Game Used 2005 Entire MVP Season!” The glove is pounded with use. My favorite part of the glove is where you can see the imprint of his finger deep in the glove. The picture shows him wearing the glove in game 5 of the post season, 10 October 2005, against the Los Angeles of Anaheim Angels. Let’s see what everyone has!

Duluth Eskimo 07-30-2021 06:05 AM

Nice glove. Underrated collectible

Bpm0014 08-01-2021 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Early 1910’s Hal Chase game used glove...

SyrNy1960 08-02-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2128427)
Nice glove. Underrated collectible

Thanks and I agree! Denny also said "I could never figure out why sports memorabilia collectors give such short shrift to baseball gloves. Jerseys and hats come and go for ballplayers. Teammates enjoying a hitting streak gladly share their bats with guys who are slumping. Gloves are far more personal."

I guess the interest isn't there as much because gloves aren't as available as bats, jerseys, cleats, hats, etc. Finding a players primary glove is very difficult. Many players hang on to their gloves. Cal Ripken Jr. held on to all of his gloves, which were just recently sold in Goldin Auctions.

Scott Garner 08-02-2021 06:31 AM

HOF Nolan Ryan 1989 game used glove

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Tony,
Great ARod glove!
I feel the same way about game used gloves, BTW. I would also add that Denny Esken is a terrific resource on the topic of game used gloves.
Nolan's 1989 glove is certainly one of my favorite pieces in my advanced Nolan Ryan collection.

Here are pics of my 1989 Nolan Ryan game used glove, which came directly from "The Express" himself.

In 1989, Nolan became the 1st and only pitcher to strike out 5,000 in a career (MLB record).
He was the winning pitcher in the 1989 All Star game in Anaheim. At age 42, he became the oldest ML pitcher to ever get the "W" in the Mid-Summer Classic (MLB record).
Additionally, in 1989 Nolan fanned 300 batters in a season for the 6th and final time in a career.
When Nolan retired, that was another MLB record.
Note: This record has since tied by Randy Johnson aka "The Big Unit" (#2 pitcher in all-time K's- tops as a left hander).

SyrNy1960 08-02-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2129347)
Hi Tony,
Great ARod glove!
I feel the same way about game used gloves, BTW. I would also add that Denny Esken is a terrific resource on the topic of game used gloves.
Nolan's 1989 glove is certainly one of my favorite pieces in my advanced Nolan Ryan collection.

Here are pics of my 1989 Nolan Ryan game used glove, which came directly from "The Express" himself.

In 1989, Nolan became the 1st and only pitcher to strike out 5,000 in a career.
He was the winning pitcher in the 1989 All Star game in Anaheim. At age 42, he became the oldest ML pitcher to ever get the "W" in the Summer Classic.
Additionally, in 1989 Nolan fanned 300 batters in a season for the 6th and final time in a career.
When Nolan retired, that was a MLB record which was subsequently tied by Randy Johnson aka "The Big Unit".

Scott,

Great Glove from a Great Pitcher! Coming from him directly makes it that much more special. I like when players wrote their numbers on their gloves back then.

Yes, Denny Esken is a great wealth of glove knowledge and also a great guy! I've had the pleasure of talking to him a lot about gloves. Him sharing his knowledge of gloves, including Arod gloves, played a big part in me obtaining this Arod glove. I hope one day he writes a book about gloves. His knowledge and the many stories he could share, would be a great read.

Tony

Scott Garner 08-02-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 2129358)
Scott,

Great Glove from a Great Pitcher! Coming from him directly makes it that much more special. I like when players wrote their numbers on their gloves back then.

Yes, Denny Esken is a great wealth of glove knowledge and also a great guy! I've had the pleasure of talking to him a lot about gloves. Him sharing his knowledge of gloves, including Arod gloves, played a big part in me obtaining this Arod glove. I hope one day he writes a book about gloves. His knowledge and the many stories he could share, would be a great read.

Tony

Thanks Tony!
I absolutely agree that Denny needs to write a book and share his wealth of knowledge on the topic of game used gloves & have told him as much. ;)

Bpm0014 08-02-2021 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In keeping with my T206 player theme, here’s a circa 1910 Pat Moran game used catchers mitt...

Clutch-Hitter 08-04-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3arod13 (Post 2128423)
* Denny Esken: “A player’s game used fielding glove is the most difficult player piece to get. Gloves are far more personal. It takes weeks and months to break one in properly, to make it conform to the hand, to train it to scoop sharp grounders out of the dirt or pull down screaming line drives. A glove is like a dog – you have to train them to get them to do what you want.”

I recently picked up this 2005 Alex Rodriguez Rawlings PRO 6HF Fielding Glove. The glove is signed and inscribed “Alex Rodriguez Game Used 2005 Entire MVP Season!” The glove is pounded with use. My favorite part of the glove is where you can see the imprint of his finger deep in the glove. The picture shows him wearing the glove in game 5 of the post season, 10 October 2005, against the Los Angeles of Anaheim Angels. Let’s see what everyone has!

Very cool!