Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Seeking help with identifying players on a WWII photo (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=315488)

Chris Counts 02-19-2022 03:53 PM

Seeking help with identifying players on a WWII photo

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Here's a photo I recently picked up of a team that played in Hawaii during WWII. I've looked at all the rosters I can find online, and this appears to be a team that represented the U.S. Navy's Aiea Barracks, although I can find no roster that matches it completely — I suppose players got shuffled around a lot because a war was going on.

I'm seeking second opinions on all those who I have attempted to identify, and any other IDs that anybody can come up with. So far, I believe I see Bill Dickey, Johnny Vander Meer, Bob Lemon, Fred Hutchinson, Whitey Platt and Billy Herman. I realize it's possible that who I have ID'd as Bill could be his brother, George. It appears these guys were all in the Navy and in Hawaii during '44 and/or '45.

Any and all help is very much appreciated,

Chris

Chris Counts 02-19-2022 04:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the rest, up close ...

JLange 02-19-2022 04:11 PM

Bob Lemon

I agree with the Bob Lemon ID, first group of three pic, middle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2198324)
Here's the rest, up close ...

Scott Garner 02-19-2022 06:01 PM

Aiea WWII baseball team info

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Chris,
I might be able to help. Take a look ;)

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 02-19-2022 06:54 PM

Looks like Fred Hutchenson in the second photo down on the left.

Chris Counts 02-19-2022 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just learned that Lemon and Hutchinson were elsewhere in 1944, so this has to be from 1945. It turns out that Pellegrini and McCosky played there in 1944, but not in 1945. I also found this, which mentions four of the guys I believe I see in the photo.

whiteymet 02-19-2022 10:54 PM

Agree with Hutchinson. Bill Dickey on the left in first photo with two guys.

earlywynnfan 02-20-2022 06:20 AM

The very first, top left player in second post looks like Hajduk.

Trublubrucru 02-20-2022 12:26 PM

I think the second group of three, middle guy, is Max Patkin, the clown prince of Baseball

Chris Counts 02-20-2022 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Max supposedly played on the '44 team, but I'm not sure about the '45 team. When I looked for Max in this photo, I picked the same guy you did. But I'm not certain it's him.

One guy I'm pretty sure about is Billy Herman, who's pictured here. I somehow neglected posting this photo earlier. The guy next to him looks a bit like Vander Meer to me, but I can't be sure. I'm hoping Scott gets a chance to see this one — I would trust his opinion on Vandy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trublubrucru (Post 2198534)
I think the second group of three, middle guy, is Max Patkin, the clown prince of Baseball

Scott Garner 02-20-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2198585)
Max supposedly played on the '44 team, but I'm not sure about the '45 team. When I looked for Max in this photo, I picked the same guy you did. But I'm not certain it's him.

One guy I'm pretty sure about is Billy Herman, who's pictured here. I somehow neglected posting this photo earlier. The guy next to him looks a bit like Vander Meer to me, but I can't be sure. I'm hoping Scott gets a chance to see this one — I would trust his opinion on Vandy ...

Definitely not Vandy in the photo.
Also Vandy was in Guam in '45.
I hope this helps.

Chris Counts 02-20-2022 10:27 PM

Thanks Scott, and everybody else who chimed in. I had the wrong guy identified as Bob Lemon until Jason commented. It would have been nice if Vander Meer was there, but three Hall of Famers isn't too bad.

67Rally 02-22-2022 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2198658)
Thanks Scott, and everybody else who chimed in. I had the wrong guy identified as Bob Lemon until Jason commented. It would have been nice if Vander Meer was there, but three Hall of Famers isn't too bad.

Chris, it is a great photo of the Aiea team. If you are at all interested in moving it, this is an area that I focus my research on and have curated a collection of photos and artifacts. The book shared in the comment above, there is research and numerous images provided from our collection (ChevronsandDiamonds.org) that we make available for baseball researchers and writers. If you are willing to discuss future disposition, I am sending you a PM.

V/r

67Rally 02-22-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2198585)

Billy Herman (left) and Vern Olsen (right).

At a quick glance, I can ID a few of the guys in the first six photos:
1 - Bill Dickey, X
2 - Fred Hutch, X

3 - Chet Hadjuk, X
4 - X, Lemon, X
5 - Larry Varnell, Patkin, Cliff Dapper
6 - X, X, X, Lou Ciola
7 - Tom Saviori (standing), X

Chris Counts 02-23-2022 07:56 PM

Thanks so much for the IDs! I love that Patkin is in there. I'll look for you PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Rally (Post 2199381)
Billy Herman (left) and Vern Olsen (right).

At a quick glance, I can ID a few of the guys in the first six photos:
1 - Bill Dickey, X
2 - Fred Hutch, X

3 - Chet Hadjuk, X
4 - X, Lemon, X
5 - Larry Varnell, Patkin, Cliff Dapper
6 - X, X, X, Lou Ciola
7 - Tom Saviori (standing), X