Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Latest PSA Grades of CJ's (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250814)

Donscards 02-01-2018 02:06 PM

Latest PSA Grades of CJ's

1 Attachment(s)
I just got 15 graded Cracker Jack cards back from PSA--is it my imagination, or is their grading kind of tough--I was at least hoping for 3's--Just me complaining!!

nsaddict 02-01-2018 02:24 PM

Not your imagination, recently got my 30 business day (took 47) submission back and thought the same. The majority would have graded 1/1.5 higher if submitted just 2 years ago. I see many cards on the bay with old labels and wondered how they got those grades?

darwinbulldog 02-01-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 1744119)
Not your imagination, recently got my 30 business day (took 47) submission back and thought the same. The majority would have graded 1/1.5 higher if submitted just 2 years ago. I see many cards on the bay with old labels and wondered how they got those grades?

Well I mean, the ones a couple of years ago were more accurate, no?

swarmee 02-01-2018 04:05 PM

Cards have great eye appeal, but the pictures aren't close enough to detect the issues that led to their technical downgrades. And yes, most of the time they're tougher right now, but with millions of cards graded a year, many overgraded cards still slip through. Like ones that have obvious marker or stains on them that I've gotten back with straight 5 and 4 grades this past year.

RedsFan1941 02-01-2018 04:54 PM

if you choose to play a game whose rules are unclear -- and you know those rules can be arbitrarily applied -- you shouldn't be surprised when the game gives you puzzling results.

guy3050 02-01-2018 05:22 PM

They want people to resubmit !!

This Jackie recently got a 3 , it looks just as good then most 5

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4720/...fcd4fe53_m.jpgs-l1600 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4740/...e135bf6e_m.jpgs-l1600 (5) by Guy Bourque, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4701/...ffd0b458_m.jpgs-l1600 (4) by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4764/...2d9a6de3_m.jpgs-l1600 (3) by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4769/...7b3b6686_m.jpgs-l1600 (2) by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4617/...e8d70b23_m.jpgs-l1600 (1) by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

3-2-count 02-01-2018 06:49 PM

The grading criteria in place used by Psa when grading Cracker Jacks has always been an inconsistent farce.

It's even worse on 1914's.

ullmandds 02-01-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1744157)
if you choose to play a game whose rules are unclear -- and you know those rules can be arbitrarily applied -- you shouldn't be surprised when the game gives you puzzling results.

tru-dat! what a joke psa has become...a big moneygrab!

many early psa's are terribly overgraded...now the opposite...it's an inconsistent clusterf$ck!

Johnny630 02-01-2018 07:29 PM

That Jackie is screaming for a new holder!! Get me outta there I’m much better then a 3!

Bigshot69 02-01-2018 07:30 PM

I would speculate they are hitting the Jackie for what appears to be a horizontal crease through his name. Sharp card though!

I agree with Don the bottom 2 CJs look 4ish.

glynparson 02-02-2018 04:43 AM

Judging

Honestly judging cards as being to harshly graded based on scans is kind of useless. Often minor issues are not easily detectable from the scans. Also we are only seeing the fronts of these cards (cracker jacks) the backs also matter in technical grade.

3-2-count 02-02-2018 06:29 AM

Hi Glyn. Can only speak for myself, but my comment wasn't solely based on Don's post from his recent submission, but rather the 100's that I've handled or owned through the years.

If you ask any Cracker Jack collector in the hobby which include many on this forum you will find that they would all agree that Psa is all over the map with their assessment when it comes to grading CJ's.

Staining in my opinion seems to be their biggest inconsistency when coming up with a final grade.

glynparson 02-02-2018 07:03 AM

Tony

I agree they are mad inconsistent on cracker jacks but criticizing these cards based on those pics is laughable. Hell if they have some adhesive residue on the back or something similar it would easily explain grades. My response was more to the op than to you. As for sgc being more consistent of course they are they have 2 graders psa has like 20 simple logic will tell you the same guys will be more consistent than a variety of people.

CrackaJackKid 02-02-2018 07:50 AM

Staining..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1744285)
Hi Glyn. Can only speak for myself, but my comment wasn't solely based on Don's post from his recent submission, but rather the 100's that I've handled or owned through the years.

If you ask any Cracker Jack collector in the hobby which include many on this forum you will find that they would all agree that Psa is all over the map with their assessment when it comes to grading CJ's.

Staining in my opinion seems to be their biggest inconsistency when coming up with a final grade.

It still boggles my mind that PSA docks for staining, at least harsher than they used to. I can completely see why it would pertain to the 15s with lots being sent to customers with never being in a box. But for the 14s it makes no sense to me.

Isn’t it true Psa overlooks the PB T206s(Stains) and T201 Double Folders(Fold Crease)?

swarmee 02-02-2018 07:52 PM

I know that on cards that were produced with factory packer back stamps (like the T51 set), PSA no longer gives those cards MK designations. I had a lot of 8 old flip cards with MKs sent back and "reholdered" with them no longer having the MK qualifier.

yanks4 02-03-2018 07:00 AM

Brake them out and send them to SGC.....If you get silly grades like that from SGC at least you won't be contributing to a company that doesn't care , is extremely inconsistent and frankly obnoxious...Besides they will look better in SGC slabs IMHO.....Good Luck.....

PS. I will agree that you can't see everything in these scans but this is their recent MO for whatever reason?

rainier2004 02-03-2018 07:04 AM

My theory is PSA grades overly hard to try to "build their brand" as they adjust standards all the time. I was the previous owner of those CJs and can assure you everyone there is no glue residue or hidden flaws in them as I went through those cards so many times. IMO, PSA simply doesn't know how to grade.

Donscards 02-03-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1744577)
My theory is PSA grades overly hard to try to "build their brand" as they adjust standards all the time. I was the previous owner of those CJs and can assure you everyone there is no glue residue or hidden flaws in them as I went through those cards so many times. IMO, PSA simply doesn't know how to grade.

Thanks Steve---I was just trying to make a point on the harder standards that PSA uses now---the cards look like 4's in person--my scans are not the best, but these cards shouldn't be 2.5's--but again, PSA has raised their grading the last few years--they don't like to give high grades.

3-2-count 02-03-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donscards (Post 1744587)
but again, PSA has raised their grading the last few years--they don't like to give high grades.

More so when it applies to Cracker Jacks, especially 1914's.......

RedsFan1941 02-03-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donscards (Post 1744587)
Thanks Steve---I was just trying to make a point on the harder standards that PSA uses now---the cards look like 4's in person--my scans are not the best, but these cards shouldn't be 2.5's--but again, PSA has raised their grading the last few years--they don't like to give high grades.

why don’t they want to give high grades? and if you know that, why submit cards to them?

ullmandds 02-03-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1744606)
why don’t they want to give high grades? and if you know that, why submit cards to them?

I believe it to be part of the business model:

-rewarding early adopters by keeping pops low on uber high grades

-creating shareholder value by encouraging re-submissions

This is just my opinion.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 02-03-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1744607)
I believe it to be part of the business model:

-rewarding early adopters by keeping pops low on uber high grades

-creating shareholder value by encouraging re-submissions

This is just my opinion.

This ^ to a certain degree and for CJ's in particular PSA changed the way the addressed stains a couple years ago now grading them far more harshly creating a real mess

mark evans 02-03-2018 12:59 PM

There will never be consistency in grading as the process is fraught with subjectivity. Not only will there be variations from one grader to the next, but I'm sure that the same grader may well grade the same card differently from one review to the next.

Having said that, I continue to believe that TPG is a benefit to the hobby, if only to facilitate internet transactions. What continues to baffle me is the wide disparity in values from one grade to the next, especially at the high end (8 v. 8.5, for example). I should think that the subjectivity inherent in the process would have the effect of limiting these disparities.