Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1991 Topps Desert Shield Packs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329366)

Zach Wheat 12-23-2022 11:13 AM

1991 Topps Desert Shield Packs

I have 32+/- 1991 Topps Desert Shield packs; 16 "authenticated" by BBCE a while back (they no longer authenticate packs) and 16 raw that I purchased a while ago.

Packs have been stored in heat sealed wrapping to prevent moisture from damaging the gum/packs. I've been toying with opening up some of the raw packs to check on the damage, if any to the cards as well as to see how they would grade out.

While I was inspecting the packs, I noticed a spot where the packs were sealed "glowed" under UV light. I never noticed this before. We previously determined Topps was experimenting with ink brighteners during the printing of this set - but this is a first for me.

Does anyone have a regular 1991 Topps pack they can check under black light to see if it also glows? Just curious if both packs glowed under black light.

bnorth 12-23-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2296958)
I have 32+/- 1991 Topps Desert Shield packs; 16 "authenticated" by BBCE a while back (they no longer authenticate packs) and 16 raw that I purchased a while ago.

Packs have been stored in heat sealed wrapping to prevent moisture from damaging the gum/packs. I've been toying with opening up some of the raw packs to check on the damage, if any to the cards as well as to see how they would grade out.

While I was inspecting the packs, I noticed a spot where the packs were sealed "glowed" under UV light. I never noticed this before. We previously determined Topps was experimenting with ink brighteners during the printing of this set - but this is a first for me.

Does anyone have a regular 1991 Topps pack they can check under black light to see if it also glows? Just curious if both packs glowed under black light.

Does it glow on both the authenticated and non authenticated packs? Is it glue that glows or the wrapper itself?

The closest I have is 89 and 90 Topps DoubleHeader packs and they do not glow on the flaps were sealed.

Hopefully someone with some regular wax packs can help you out.

Zach Wheat 12-23-2022 12:08 PM

Ben,

The BBCE authenticated packs have a seal over the "glow" spot, so I can't tell.

bnorth 12-23-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2296980)
Ben,

The BBCE authenticated packs have a seal over the "glow" spot, so I can't tell.

LOL, isn't that how it usually works.:D

To save an email Chipper started his voyage a couple hours ago.

ALR-bishop 12-23-2022 01:21 PM

I have a couple of boxes unopened 91s . The ones I checked do not seem to glow under black light but to be honest I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for or at

bnorth 12-23-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2297008)
I have a couple of boxes unopened 91s . The ones I checked do not seem to glow under black light but to be honest I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for or at

I believe on the back where the top flab of the pack is glued down.

Zach Wheat 12-23-2022 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Al,

There is a UV receptive substance added to the bottom of the top flap of the closed pack. The packs are wrapped in a hot selaed plastic wrap, so the UV glowing spot is not as easy to see.

See pic below

Zach Wheat 12-23-2022 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I opened a pack. Here is the underside of the flap.

bnorth 12-23-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2297014)

So it is the glue used to seal the pack then? That would be my guess anyway.

Are there any star players in the pack and what condition are the cards in?

Zach Wheat 12-23-2022 02:01 PM

I am not sure. There certainly isn't a "dried glue" feel to it.

hockeyhockey 12-24-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2297014)

how'd you do in the pack?

Zach Wheat 12-26-2022 07:54 AM

Ben,

Per previous discussions, glue seems to be rolled on in other 90's era packs. I am wondering if this glowing wax or glue spot is a method to tell which 91 Topps packs are DS packs. I guess I am going to have to buy some other packs and experiment.

Hockey - no Chipper...but got a Ricky Henderson and Bo Jackson.

Statfreak101 12-27-2022 03:33 PM

Woah, this could be a big time development.

hockeyhockey 12-27-2022 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2297699)
Ben,

Per previous discussions, glue seems to be rolled on in other 90's era packs. I am wondering if this glowing wax or glue spot is a method to tell which 91 Topps packs are DS packs. I guess I am going to have to buy some other packs and experiment.

Hockey - no Chipper...but got a Ricky Henderson and Bo Jackson.

wow, sweet. congrats!

and a very interesting development indeed.

Zach Wheat 12-29-2022 11:06 AM

It seems like the glowing mark is an artifact of the pack being search and then resealed 20+ years ago. I have talked emailed a number of people since the original post, including BBCE. BBCE is familiar with glowing spots on the pack but could not determine anything from it. They indicated the other DS packs FASC do NOT have a glowing mark on the back of the pack.

Interesting though, they use the trait discovered by Joe R and discussed in detail in previous DS threads about using a blacklight to help identify DS cards.

4reals 01-07-2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2298804)
It seems like the glowing mark is an artifact of the pack being search and then resealed 20+ years ago. I have talked emailed a number of people since the original post, including BBCE. BBCE is familiar with glowing spots on the pack but could not determine anything from it. They indicated the other DS packs FASC do NOT have a glowing mark on the back of the pack.

Interesting though, they use the trait discovered by Joe R and discussed in detail in previous DS threads about using a blacklight to help identify DS cards.

Good stuff, Zach