Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fireproof storage question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165310)

KLSDAD 03-14-2013 11:05 AM

Fireproof storage question

I have two large two-drawer Class 350 locking file cabinets. They are adequate for protecting my collection from theft. However, having read some other threads, 350 degrees of protection isn't going to do the trick.

What I'd like to find are some smaller card boxes or holders that will provide additional protection from fire, water or smoke damage that will fit inside. There is plenty of room inside of each .... 1 ft x 2ft x 10 inches.

Thoughts??

Leon 03-14-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLSDAD (Post 1103233)
I have two large two-drawer Class 350 locking file cabinets. They are adequate for protecting my collection from theft. However, having read some other threads, 350 degrees of protection isn't going to do the trick.

What I'd like to find are some smaller card boxes or holders that will provide additional protection from fire, water or smoke damage that will fit inside. There is plenty of room inside of each .... 1 ft x 2ft x 10 inches.

Thoughts??

Maybe one of those little Sentry, inexpensive safes? Some are very small. It would give you more, but not perfect, protection. I strongly recommend a bank Safe Deposit box for your most valuable items. They have sprinkler systems and other fire warning systems in place.

Cardboard Junkie 03-14-2013 02:42 PM

To begin there is no "fire proof" safe. Long before direct impingement of fire is the rise in temperature. 350F is about the temp when paper fibers start to brown and of course 451F it burns. Older paper fibers pyrolize and their ignition temp lowers over time. Plastic (slabs) would melt and ruin everything too. So it is really the interior temp that should concern you. Since all safes will offer some degree of protection go with the best you can afford. There is smoke and water to be concerned about too. A house fire can reach temps upwards of 2000F...about 4X the broil temp on an oven. Silver and gold can melt, steel twists like putty. Lots of good info out there, and in our search feature. Nothing is 100% safe.
Some here think a safe deposit box at a bank is good. I disagree. During the "great depression" banks closed and people were SOL for a while...also no FDIC insurance..Even in good times you only have access when the bank is open.and the feds can seize boxes,(and do) all the time. But I digress. Safest bet....sell your collection to me cheap:D. just kidding, Dave
good luck and let us know what you decide on:)

pclpads 03-14-2013 03:02 PM

What Leon alluded to is a Sentry 1100. Rough dimensions are 14" x 9 1/2"
x 6." They are about $20 at Home Depot. I use mine more for security - they lock! and are too heavy for a thief to cart off - than for fire proofing, as noted above. You can store a lot of slabs or raw cards inside.

packs 03-14-2013 03:45 PM

I have a Sentry too. It weighs like 80 pounds so anyone trying to steal it is going to have a hard time. It also has both a combination and key lock. I bet if you threw it off a building it would open though.

yanksfan09 03-14-2013 09:22 PM

A Sentry safe should only be for extra fire protection in my opinion. The ones with a simple key lock can be opened with a screwdriver. I had one that I broke the key partially off inside the lock and used to open it and close it with a penny! Any bigger sentry safe that I've seen can pretty quickly be opened up with a pry-bar as well. They're good for protecting low value stuff by themselves or paperwork, but for valuable cards I'd want them as an interior safe inside a large heavy duty safe. (By this I mean one that you won't find in any chain sporting goods or department store. Only store to look would be Cabelas or online from a major dealer. you want one probably a minimum of 6-700 pounds. Ideally over 1000, and bolted to the floor if you can, with many large diameter locking bolts and double walled heavy gauge steel) Only use little ones for extra fire protection.
Some of the sentry safes are for water also. I'd look for those instead of only fire.

KLSDAD 03-15-2013 05:43 AM

Thanks everyone. BTW, here is what Sentry says about the 1100.......

"ETL Verified 1/2-hour fire protection for CDs, DVDs, USB drives and memory sticks up to 1550°F"

... that doesn't seem to provide info for paper.

I'm not sure I understand the ratings..... is it the point that the entire safe will start to burn/melt? Does that mean paper could be burning on the inside while the safe is relatively intact?

Do any of the ratings deal with internal temperatures?