Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   MLB Severing Ties with Cable? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331789)

todeen 02-16-2023 09:44 PM

MLB Severing Ties with Cable?

Article on WA Post about potential for streaming services.

I haven't had traditional cable 5+ years. I stream HULU TV or even YouTube TV for March Madness (just one month) and again for MLB playoffs (just one month).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-cord-cutters/

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

mrreality68 02-17-2023 04:35 AM

We will have to see how it goes.

But supposedly it will end all local blackouts

their goal is to expand the reach and viewership of more people to make more money.
But they are going to be have different rates for different packages for this service
Need to see more details on it and the cost to us but the concept has potential

steve B 02-17-2023 08:53 AM

After a computer update, I had an ad pushed at me by the OS, for baseball on Xbox live. I don't even own an X box, and the OS company darn well knows that because they have to check and verify everything to do the updates.

Personally I'm against streaming. It's hard enough remembering what channel exactly the show I want is on, let alone have so subscribe and pay separately for a bunch of other channels.
Disney
Discovery
History
Baseball
Football

What else?

Rad_Hazard 02-17-2023 12:43 PM

I haven't had cable in over a decade, it's a complete ripoff. I just pay for 1-2 streaming services at a time and save a ton of money.

I tried mlb.tv last year but Mariners games were blackout and all the good games were on other services/channels and blacked out as well. If they can put all the games (including playoffs) on their streaming platform mlb.tv then I will come back, otherwise, no thank you.

todeen 02-17-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2315491)
I haven't had cable in over a decade, it's a complete ripoff. I just pay for 1-2 streaming services at a time and save a ton of money.

I tried mlb.tv last year but Mariners games were blackout and all the good games were on other services/channels and blacked out as well. If they can put all the games (including playoffs) on their streaming platform mlb.tv then I will come back, otherwise, no thank you.

Agree. MLB.tv isn't worth it if you can't watch your local team. My son watches football and hockey at his grandparents all the time. At our house he watches ESPN+ because it was bundled with Disney+. And pretty much nothing elite is put on ESPN+....but he is happy cuz it has hockey. But even the Kraken are blacked out, yet I live 5 hours away. Blackouts are idiotic.

packs 02-17-2023 01:29 PM

I hate cable too and had to cut service because the price ballooned so much. I'm not a huge fan of the apps but if local blackouts don't apply at least I won't have to pay for Yes.

BobbyStrawberry 02-17-2023 01:36 PM

The cable companies are up there with the worst businesses on the planet. I wouldn't pay for cable if I was wealthiest person in the world. Blackouts are insanely dumb and I hope they will end

Chicosbailbonds 02-19-2023 05:19 AM

The best deal is getting an Amazon cube and a IPTV streaming service. You’ll get every package and no blackouts.

bnorth 02-19-2023 06:57 AM

Is having a Amazon Fire Stick with the KODI program still a thing? I had one for years till my version got so outdated it quit working. You could watch any game on it with zero fees ever. Now I got a new Fire Stick and just watch all the free stuff that you can on it. I have the free MLB.com version downloaded on it. They usually have a free game or 2 every day and have condensed games of every game from the previous day that is also free. In the time it takes to watch a live game I can watch all the condensed games from the previous day. I actually prefer that.

Chicosbailbonds 02-20-2023 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2316047)
Is having a Amazon Fire Stick with the KODI program still a thing? I had one for years till my version got so outdated it quit working. You could watch any game on it with zero fees ever. Now I got a new Fire Stick and just watch all the free stuff that you can on it. I have the free MLB.com version downloaded on it. They usually have a free game or 2 every day and have condensed games of every game from the previous day that is also free. In the time it takes to watch a live game I can watch all the condensed games from the previous day. I actually prefer that.

The fire stick with kodi is still around

todeen 03-13-2023 02:45 PM

Report states 7 teams are likely to be dropped from current carriers this year. In addition to four teams dropping from Bally Sports, Warner Bros Discovery is dropping an additional 3 teams.

https://www.redlegnation.com/2023/03...ncinnati-reds/

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk