Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1958 Hires TEST SET Card Values (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=215888)

Eggoman 12-31-2015 07:56 AM

1958 Hires TEST SET Card Values

Happy New Year to All!

I have several 1958 Hires Test Set cards (NO Tabs) graded PSA 3 or 4. I would like anyone's opinion regarding their REALISTIC values, please!

Eggoman 01-02-2016 07:08 AM

WOW! 117 views and not one opinion on value?!?!?! I realize that they are not traded all that often, but I have an interested buyer and am at a loss as far as what to ask. I want to be reasonable to the Buyer, but fair to me.

I'd be happy to post pictures if that would help...

Surely SOMEONE MUST HAVE AN OPINION, RIGHT??? YOU GUYS are the EXPERTS on realistic values!

(I know, I know, "...and don't call me Shirley!")

Thanks in advance for your anticipated support!

jb67 01-02-2016 07:34 AM

Below are a few examples that have sold. My guess is for commons you can expect around 8-12 dollar range and HOF's a lot more.
Richie Ashburn PSA 4
Date Auction Link Seller Buyer Bids Price Extra
5/14/14 eBay Image fig.i.t.h 1***5 BIN $99.99
5/31/12 eBay Image rickster47 a***d 13 $52.65

1958 Hires Root Beer (No Tabs) Chico Carrrasquel #11 PSA 4
9/23/07 eBay Image ksavagecards gbatmk 2 $9.99

1958 Hires Root Beer (No Tabs) Pee Wee Reese #23 PSA 4
6/8/14 eBay Image memorylaneinc t***y 14 $48.00
9/23/07 eBay Image ksavagecards putnmcokid 6 $33.6

1958 Hires Root Beer (No Tabs) Bob Nieman #26 PSA 6
6/21/15 eBay Image bigeds17872 9***p 3 $9.95

Eggoman 01-02-2016 07:40 AM

Thank you, but the links that you sent are for REGULAR Hires cards, NOT the Hires TEST SET cards!

I'm looking for recent sales results for the TEST SET cards.

THANK YOU, again.

JustinD 01-02-2016 08:11 AM

Not trying to be rude, but the question is honestly far too general for anyone to be able to help.

If I state "I have several 1958 cards in 3-4 what are they worth?" It begs two deathly important questions immediately.
A. How many is "several"?
B. Who are the players? There is a huge difference if you have 3 Pilarsiks or a handful of Willie Mays.

Also photos do help as a premium would be on why they are 3-4. Centering commands a premium over all things at this moment. Poorly centered ones would be less. Creasing...less. If it's just general wear causing a 3-4 and decent centering...a little more value. Even more important to this set is if they are the yellow or orange version as yellow seems to hold a premium.

Too many questions.

Personally, I am no super expert on 1958 Hires Test cards. However, if you do post those pictures I imagine you will get a much better response from others.

pawpawdiv9 01-02-2016 08:48 AM

This is from 2009 H&S http://feb09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=11050

Theres a ton for sale on Ebay right now re-listed again...as for SOLD listings there are not many.
Sgc 20- Mays orange = 173.50 on Nov16
Busby yellow = 67.00 on Dec10
Fernandez orange = 102.50 on Oct12
Pilarcik orange = 11.61 on Oct13

You may try on Beckett, if you got their price guide $$.....it says w/ coupon go for 3x in their checklist.

jb217676 01-02-2016 08:50 AM

You seem quite pushy and I don't think you'll get much help acting like that. Maybe if you were sincere and didn't type ALL CAPS IN RED you might get some information on these cards. Also, you could probably use the INTERNET to do this research yourself.

Eggoman 01-02-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1486972)
You seem quite pushy and I don't think you'll get much help acting like that. Maybe if you were sincere and didn't type ALL CAPS IN RED you might get some information on these cards.

JB - I accept your criticism & apologize! You are CORRECT - I re-read what I posted and DID come across as a bit of a A--! Again, MY APOLOGIES!

Not pushy, perhaps a bit frustrated as I have done a fair amount of looking on the internet and have come up with little useful current pricing information as far as actual SALES. Plus it seems that the ones on eBay may be "a bit" overpriced. I will post some pictures when I get a chance! (Thanks, Justin, for asking! I appreciate your thoughts as well!) I only have 4 different commons!

jb217676 01-02-2016 09:32 AM

No worries Greg, all the best!

Eggoman 01-02-2016 10:34 AM

Pictures added!

8 Attachment(s)
OK, same request as before. I welcome your opinions regarding what these 4 1958 Hires Test cards might be worth! Pictures added as requested!

Thank you in advance!

brian1961 01-02-2016 01:57 PM

GREG---

HOWDY, PODNAH! I'LL REPLY IN ALL CAPS, 'CAUSE I THINK THEY'RE A LITTLE EASIER ON THE BABY BLUES, BROWNS, OR HAZELS TO READ!

YOU REGARD US AS EXPERTS, BUT I FEAR WE MAY LET YOU DOWN BECAUSE THIS IS AN ISSUE RARELY DISCUSSED. IT'S NOT THAT THE CARDS ARE UNIMPORTANT; THEY MOST ASSUREDLY ARE IMPORTANT. WITH POST-WAR REGIONAL / FOOD ISSUES, THERE'S FREQUENTLY A FEW WHO ARDENTLY ADMIRE AND COLLECT EACH ISSUE. THE TROUBLE IS FINDING THE FEW WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO DIVULGE WHAT THEY KNOW TO HELP YOU. PLEASE BE PATIENT. IT MAY TAKE A WHILE FOR ONE OF THOSE FEW TO GET ON NET54 POST-WAR, NOTICE YOUR THREAD AND RESPOND. NOW, UNDERSTAND, THAT MIGHT BE TOMORROW, OR NEXT MARCH!

THERE IS A SERVICE SOME OF OUR MORE ASTUTE CURRENT COLLECTORS MAKE USE OF. IT IS CALLED VCP PRICES OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT. BASED IN HAWAII, IT'S AN INTERNET-BASED COMPANY THAT HAS A MASSIVE LISTING OF PREVIOUS PRICES PAID FOR A GIVEN CARD OR SET. I DO KNOW THEY HAVE TRACKED WINNING BIDS WITH BUYER'S PREMIUM FROM A LARGE VARIETY OF AUCTION HOUSES OVER THE PAST 16 YEARS, OR SO. IT IS A SERVICE FOR PAY, WITH A YEARLY MEMBERSHIP THAT ENTITLES YOU TO ACCESS THEIR DATA BASE.

COLLECTORS ENJOY USING VCP TO RESEARCH WHAT THE AVERAGE MARKET PRICE IS FOR A GIVEN VINTAGE CARD--WHETHER THEY ARE BUYING OR SELLING. NOW, IF VCP HAS LISTINGS OF PAST SALES OF THE 58 HIRE'S ROOT BEER TEST ISSUE, THIS WILL HELP YOU. IF THEY DON'T HAVE ANY INFO, IT'S ONLY BECAUSE THESE HIRE'S RARITIES HAVE NOT TRANSACTED VERY OFTEN, WHICH YOU ALREADY ARE AWARE OF.

A COUPLE OF OUR BROTHERS HAVE GIVEN YOU PAST SALES FROM WHAT LOOKS LIKE VCP, AND THE OTHER EBAY PAST SALES. HONESTLY, I WISH I KNEW HOW TO RESEARCH PAST EBAY SALES. AS A SELF-RESPECTING DINOSAUR, I BUY ON EBAY, BUT STILL DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RESEARCH PAST SALES. I KNOW, SHUT UP, BRIAN!

WISHING YOU WELL. YOUR TESTS LOOK REALLY NICE. --Brian Powell

sflayank 01-02-2016 03:29 PM

hires test

go to ebay type in 1958 hires test and go to completed auctions
not that hard to find the prices
also ever hear about google.....are you guys living in 1958...geez

Eggoman 01-02-2016 05:14 PM

Thank you! But I see a rather mediocre representation of prices based on a few sales; only one of which, the Mays, was graded. I see LOTSA very high priced graded examples that went unsold.

I'm not quite comfortable with that cost analysis.

Eggoman 01-02-2016 05:16 PM

...and I didn't do much better searching Google...do these things change hands publicly that infrequently???

mrmopar 01-02-2016 05:25 PM

Are you looking to sell them or just want to know what they might sell for if you were to offer them up? I know with the tough regional, oddball, food issue stuff, it is probably best to just list them and see what happens. If you don't sell much or feel your listing may be overlooked, maybe contacting a consignment seller who does a lot of business might be the way to go.

I have some of that type of thing and I think the "values" are really what people will pay at the time they are offered, the key being that your item is seen by the right people at the right time to maximize what you get.

I got some Frito Lay Dodger Ticket Folders on ebay a few years back for a ridiculous price and I am still not sure how I got to be so lucky, but unfortunately for that seller, the right people didn't see the listing and I did!

sflayank 01-02-2016 06:04 PM

frito lay hires test

without tabs theyll go from 50-125 in those conditions
curt
still waiting to buy some of those frito tickets

Eggoman 01-03-2016 07:30 AM

Hey Brian:

I appreciate your response and am aware of (tho not a subscriber to) VCP - perhaps I will consider it OR purchase a 24-hour subscription!

Hey Curt:

Thank you for your response, too. I DO sell quite a few different things on eBay and Sports Cards are among them. I have a fellow hobbyist interested in them and I just wanted to be fair with what I offer them to him for. You probably are correct in that an auction may be the best route to sell them.

Hey Larry:

I appreciate your opinions & price input as well!

Thank you all!

autograf 01-03-2016 07:54 AM

I won a lot from Huggins a while back with a couple comes that would likely be graded 2-3. I'm not sure grading means much on this issue in those grades for anyone more than Mays. Ther s just not an enormous amount of interest in them. Think I eventually sold mine in the $40-$50 range each after listing and resisting a couple times. Scarcity doesn't always translate into demand which doesn't always translate into high dollars. Yours look nice for the grade but I wouldn't frankly expect more than $50-$70 each for them. The ones on ebay graded that are offered for more than that are usually in the online museums that never actually sell.......jmo.....

1952boyntoncollector 01-03-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggoman (Post 1486992)
JB - I accept your criticism & apologize! You are CORRECT - I re-read what I posted and DID come across as a bit of a A--! Again, MY APOLOGIES!

Not pushy, perhaps a bit frustrated as I have done a fair amount of looking on the internet and have come up with little useful current pricing information as far as actual SALES. Plus it seems that the ones on eBay may be "a bit" overpriced. I will post some pictures when I get a chance! (Thanks, Justin, for asking! I appreciate your thoughts as well!) I only have 4 different commons!

Cards that sit week after week on ebay are usually overpriced...especially when considering people could get as much as 10% off on their purchase with ebay bucks at times...not to mention, 10-40+% discounts sellers tend to put on their items that sit week after week....not saying all ebay sellers have overpriced cards...just the ones that sit week after week I wouldn't say their BIN price is anything close to fair considered the factors I stated..

JustinD 01-03-2016 11:56 PM

Totally reiterating that I am no Hires test expert, but I do see quite a few cards change hands. These are uncommon cards, and the idea that he is interested states he knows that.

If it was me I would start at 450 and judge interest of your buyer, I think that is a fair price for four common yellows as he wants the group. This still gives you leverage as I think anywhere between 75 and 125 would be my ask depending on the player. If he balks I would work down in these incriments for the group -

I think you can get the 400.
I would not go lower than 300.