Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lifelong love......T206......... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295196)

vthobby 01-22-2021 12:09 AM

Lifelong love......T206.........

1 Attachment(s)
We have all had stories of life and love. This one i felt like sharing.
I met a woman in the summer of 2020. We have had our ups and downs much like life in general. She has a PHd and still finds a way to like me! Go figure! lol

I have seen alot in life.....and death unfortunately. I am a US Army (25 years) combat Veteran of Afghanistan and although this event does not define me at all, it certainly has lasting effects. Even though it was almost 10 years ago. I believe one of the reasons I'm up typing to whoever will listen at 2am is due to what I experienced overseas. But I digress.

Just today I picked up this cool little piece of history from my local card shop . An action pose from 1910! So cool!

I am giving this card to her this weekend! A show of friendship. Although she is adept at buying/selling stocks, crypto currency, etc.... she has shown an interest in my love of cards and especially T206s. The history that is portrayed on these little pieces of cardboard, the back combos, the stars, and the not so stars! Imagine the trip to the tobacco store back in 1910 anticipating who was gonna pop out of that pack of cigs!

It is refreshing talking to someone that had no idea these existed and to share my personal love for these beautiful little collectibles! Have a great weekend everyone and happy collecting! :)

Peace, Mike

PS BTW..... my 1st T206 was a Sam Crawford that I bought from the pages of "The Trader Speaks" back in the late 1970s. I sill remember my mom writing the check for around $17 and then me waiting for like seemed a decade (more likely a few weeks) for my 1st T206! :)

Attachment 436584

hammertime 01-22-2021 04:19 AM

Very cool post! My first T206 was a wrecked Konetchy glove above head that I got from my LCS when I was 10 or so.

Tao_Moko 01-22-2021 06:39 AM

Mine was a Clark Griffith portrait that had the really thick yellow tape from the day at top and bottom, heavily creased and severely rounded corners. Bought in 1986 as a walk in to the card shop I worked in as a kid. Regretfully, it was sold as part of a partial set many years ago(I think). Would love to have it back. Keep your eyes out!

Silverskulls 01-22-2021 07:04 AM

Sounds like true love to me!

mferronibc 01-22-2021 07:11 AM

Amazing story Mike - really heart warming and made my morning! My first T206 was given to me by my wife last Christmas (George McQuillan) and I have been in love ever since (with the cards that is...my wife much longer than that):)

Seven 01-22-2021 07:16 AM

I read this story early this morning, it's very nice that you found someone that is willing to take interest in one of your hobby's! It's a nice gesture on your part as well!

bbcard1 01-22-2021 07:32 AM

I am sure I am in the extreme minority, but that Becker card may be my favorite T206. My first was a Snodgrass.

icurnmedic 01-22-2021 07:38 AM

Nice , refreshing post!!
Believe it or not my first T206 , I didn't know what I had bought. I purchased in a group of "old" cards at Hillsville VA in 2012 I think it was. It sat on top of a pelican case in my office for probably 6 months until one day I decided to look at it. Then I decided to research it. Much to my surprise it turned out to be fairly rare. Sent to PSA , came back as a one. But that is OKAY . at the time that would make only the second Billy Purtell BROAD LEAF 350 in existence. Thus began the T206 bug.
Thomas

Shoeless Moe 01-22-2021 08:30 AM

I'm more impressed by your lady pickup in 2020. Well done!

vthobby 01-22-2021 09:38 PM

:)

Thanks guys! She liked the card! She has good taste!

:)

Peace, Mike

brianp-beme 01-23-2021 12:06 AM

Great story. Sounds like she's more valuable to you than a T206 Honus Wagner.

Brian

ASF123 01-23-2021 12:15 AM

Mike, thank you for sharing that great story, and best wishes to both of you in your relationship!

fkm_bky 01-23-2021 12:21 PM

Great story Mine and most of all thank you for your service!

My first T206 was a beat up Chance red portrait that I snagged off eBay for probably $20-$30 back in the early 2000’s. While I no longer have it, it started a nearly 20 year journey through all sorts of pre-war card obsessions. I was laid off in 2007 and struggling to make ends meet for my family and had to sell off a lot of cards that I loved. After getting back on my feet not long after, I picked back up and started back on candy type cards and then again back to my t206 HOF Portrait subset. I sure would like to have that SGC30 red Cobb, Hindu Huggins and PSA3 young back in my hands, but I know someone else is enjoying them right now.

Love this hobby and for me T206 is the foundation for it all.

Bill

vthobby 01-23-2021 06:34 PM

Very cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkm_bky (Post 2059258)

My first T206 was a beat up Chance red portrait that I snagged off eBay for probably $20-$30 back in the early 2000’s. While I no longer have it, it started a nearly 20 year journey through all sorts of pre-war card obsessions. I was laid off in 2007 and struggling to make ends meet for my family and had to sell off a lot of cards that I loved. After getting back on my feet not long after, I picked back up and started back on candy type cards and then again back to my t206 HOF Portrait subset. I sure would like to have that SGC30 red Cobb, Hindu Huggins and PSA3 young back in my hands, but I know someone else is enjoying them right now.

Bill

I really appreciate the kind words from all!

Bill, Thanks for your your story as you clearly feel the passion for collecting as I we all on here do. Unfortunately it seems with life and death and hardships, we all have to sell or transfer assets at some point. It is a hard fact of life but if you always enjoy what you are collecting then I feel that makes it worthwhile. I've sold or traded some doozies also that I wish I had back! ughhhh I guess in a way that is what makes it fun, the constant chase for something you wish you had or something you once had. That may apply to relationships as well! :)

Peace, Mike

Leon 01-25-2021 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkm_bky (Post 2059258)

Bill

Nice story and great story line of the thread. It must be nice to have someone who shares our passion with us!

This post parallels my journey somewhat too. Except I sold mine for a different reason.

such is life...
starting over is not all bad...

vthobby 01-25-2021 03:50 PM

Nice layout!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2060125)
Nice story and great story line of the thread. It must be nice to have someone who shares our passion with us!

This post parallels my journey somewhat too. Except I sold mine for a different reason.

such is life...
starting over is not all bad...

Thanks for sharing Leon! If that is a Cobb Red Polar Bear......damn thats cool. We all get rid of things we wish we didnt. If I think of those things, it drives me crazy. So I don't!

Like you said Leon, the new journey is also fun! Not your exact words but I got what you meant! "starting over is not all bad.."

Peace, mike

mrvster 01-25-2021 04:16 PM

Mike

you are one of my favorite collectors......such passion as me:D

truly one of a kind dude

Peace my friend:)

Hankphenom 01-25-2021 04:55 PM

Best post I've read here in a long time! But I'd wait a while before you give her your Wagner...

vthobby 01-26-2021 07:21 AM

Wagner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2060173)
Best post I've read here in a long time! But I'd wait a while before you give her your Wagner...

Or my Walter Johnson! lol, I wish I had a Wagner Hank! Thanks! Mike

vthobby 01-26-2021 07:21 AM

Back at ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 2060157)
you are one of my favorite collectors......such passion as me:D

truly one of a kind dude

Peace my friend:)

Same to you my friend! Thanks!

Peace, Mike

Leon 01-26-2021 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2060173)

He might give her his Johnson the way things are going. :cool:

vthobby 01-26-2021 05:20 PM

Omg!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2060352)
He might give her his Johnson the way things are going. :cool:

LOL, :eek:

Peace, Mike :)

jcmtiger 01-26-2021 05:41 PM

My 1st T206 was the red Cobb, bought at Plymouth Michigan card show. My next 3 were the other 3 Cobbs from Sports Collectors Digest in an auction. $265.00 for all 3, yes you read that right $265.00. Oh, for the good old days.

2dueces 01-27-2021 07:24 AM

My first was a Wagner. It was all down hill from there.
Still have a Heinie somewhere.

Yoda 01-27-2021 11:54 AM

I hope you thanked your card for his service before presenting it to your lady friend. Great story.

t206blogcom 01-28-2021 07:03 AM

My firsts

Great story, thanks for sharing and for your service.

My first two:
http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/u...edmont-350.jpg

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/u...edmont-350.jpg