Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So many reprints in the world... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=74980)

Archive 10-01-2004 09:39 AM

So many reprints in the world...

Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>Funny...when I started collecting in the mid 70's, other than dover reprints, which clearly stated on the back they were reprints, reprints really weren't an issue. Isn't technology great!!!!!!!!!!

Archive 10-01-2004 10:43 AM

Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>....is that there are, apparently, hundreds of people out there that actually get fooled into purchasing reprints as the original thing. To me, it is so easy to pick out the real thing from an "antiqued" fake. The font of the text, size of the border, whiteness of the back and/or quality of the image itself always give it away. And yet, people are bidding up these auctions in the hopes that they have found a Wagner, Plank or Cobb at a price that is only a fraction of what the true value would be. <br /><br />We spend so much time complaining about fraudulent sellers. But if the buyers were educated, the market for this crap would dry up. Ditto on cut scraps of photos out of old Spalding/Reach Guides...

Archive 10-01-2004 01:46 PM

Posted By: <b>bryan</b><p>I have to agree here. Buyers need to be more educated. In my opinion if you are willing to buy a card for thousands of dollars and you have not done your research you might as well throw your money away anyway. As long as there are uneducated people in the world there will be crooks trying to take their money. When I first started collecting I bought fake cards thinking that i too found the treasure of a lifetime, but after that happens you learn quick that you need to study up. At least my early ventures didn't cost me thousands.

Archive 10-01-2004 06:15 PM

Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>I've been collecting since the mid 70's and consider myself pretty educated, but sometimes it can be tough! I guess I've been pretty lucky. My worst purchases are limited to a froy joy sheet I bought back in college in 1990 for $85 which is probably fake and a 71' thurman munson where the borders were re-blackened with a marker.

Archive 10-01-2004 06:23 PM

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>Yes, educate the people. Aaron McGruder said some nasty things about Bush last night, and someone else said, "Everyone knows those things. They're going to vote for him anyway."<br /><br />And you think you're going to teach people about reprints?

Archive 10-02-2004 12:17 AM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I don't know who this MacGruder character is but I think I like him!

Archive 10-02-2004 08:18 AM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Why should I when there are so many cardboard-collecting political experts on this board, like Julie and Anonymous? Yes, I think I'll just make all my decisions based on the opinions of the people who like to interject their political opinions here in a vintage baseball forum.

Archive 10-02-2004 11:54 AM

Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>Reprints were just as big as a problem in the 70's as they are today. In fact, some of the best reprint cards of that era have the word reprint in such small lettering that it fooled the experts of the time.<br /><br />Plus ca ca, Plus ca change<br /><br />Rich

Archive 10-06-2004 07:05 AM

Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Each time a reprint or a cutout is mistakenly purchased we all lose, because a potential new hobbiest is likely to be turned off by the danger to those who are least experienced. It is the newcomers who will support the value of our cards and bring other newcomers.