Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Passing of longtime dealer, Luke Thompson (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125967)

Rich Wetherbee 07-23-2010 01:02 PM

Passing of longtime dealer, Luke Thompson

Very sad to find out that Luke Thompson, longtime Massachusetts card and memorabilia dealer, lost his battle with cancer a couple of days ago. Luke partnered with Rick Sachs for many years as A-1 Sports. They would set up annually at the Shriners show in Wilmington, Mass. and years ago, did the card show circuit throughout New England. I know they set up a few times at Fort Washington/Reading, etc.

Luke was one of those guys I always looked forward to seeing at the Shriners. Not only did I like poring through his stuff, but he was always the nicest guy. He and Rick were two of the few guys that used to respect me back when I was shopping in my teens back in the 1970's.

Truly a dealer and friend that will be sorely missed.

Rich Wetherbee

Leon 07-23-2010 01:37 PM

always sad

Always sad to hear of a collector passing away. My condolences to family and friends.

GrayGhost 07-23-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Wetherbee (Post 824723)
Very sad to find out that Luke Thompson, longtime Massachusetts card and memorabilia dealer, lost his battle with cancer a couple of days ago. Luke partnered with Rick Sachs for many years as A-1 Sports. They would set up annually at the Shriners show in Wilmington, Mass. and years ago, did the card show circuit throughout New England. I know they set up a few times at Fort Washington/Reading, etc.

Luke was one of those guys I always looked forward to seeing at the Shriners. Not only did I like poring through his stuff, but he was always the nicest guy. He and Rick were two of the few guys that used to respect me back when I was shopping in my teens back in the 1970's.

Truly a dealer and friend that will be sorely missed.

Rich Wetherbee

OH NO..

I haven't been at shows lately, due to financial strain, but I loved the guys stuff and seeing them at shows. Luke was a really cool guy, as is Rick. This isn't the kind of news I wanted to read at the end of a day. DAMN IT.

My prayers and condolences to Rick, and of course all of Luke's family, friends, and colleagues and customers. A really nice person.

Sad as it is, thank you Rich for posting it.

Scott.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2010 02:13 PM

Deepest sympathies to all.

SteveVerkman 07-23-2010 06:48 PM

Really Sad

Luke was always among the nicest, most congenial, professional of all the dealers. Whether we did business or not, he was always such a pleasure to work with. I think he was only in his 50s, the second really nice dealer who was so young to go in the last few months...Truly awful news.

ethicsprof 07-23-2010 09:00 PM

Luke

very sad.
my condolences to family and friends.

barry

bigfish 07-24-2010 06:01 AM

Luke

Very sad to hear of this news. Luke was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I always enjoyed talking with him and Rick at shows. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Toby Peterson