Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ty Cobb Signed Ball Opinions Needed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=312222)

quinnsryche 12-17-2021 07:48 PM

Ty Cobb Signed Ball Opinions Needed

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all. I was wondering what the community thinks of this signed Cobb ball. Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated. Never had a signed Cobb ball so I don't know the signs of good or bad.
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays,
Tony

David Atkatz 12-17-2021 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a forgery, copied from a photo of a flat which appears on the PSA website.

quinnsryche 12-18-2021 10:34 AM

Well shoot. I had my doubts but that about seals the deal.
Thanks,
Tony

T206Collector 12-18-2021 01:05 PM

I also don’t think Cobb was signing in green until much later in life.

doug.goodman 12-18-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2176115)

Wow, great detective work. You should change your profile picture to one of Peter Falk.

Kzoo 12-19-2021 07:32 AM

That's crazy. Is that laser printed onto the ball somehow? It's literally exactly the same as the PSA example that David found..... and it even looks like it's been there for some time. I don't think someone could actually 'freehand' a forgery to be THAT exact.... or could they?

keithsky 12-19-2021 08:28 AM

I thought I remember maybe 5 years or so ago on Ebay some guy selling these reproduction balls. Not sure if he made them or someone else. I remember thinking also somewhere down the line these would try to get past off as real if not mention of them as reproduction ones. I'm sure they sit in collections as real if not knowing there fake cause they do look original

Joecoco 12-21-2021 12:46 PM

Holy crow! Great work!!!

ATP 12-22-2021 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David is correct, it's a reproduction/replica signed ball. I really don't like these but it's been going on for a few years now, also with signed "cuts". I see them pop up on etsy from time to time and occasionally ebay. Here's another one currently on etsy.

mrreality68 12-22-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP (Post 2177620)
David is correct, it's a reproduction/replica signed ball. I really don't like these but it's been going on for a few years now, also with signed "cuts". I see them pop up on etsy from time to time and occasionally ebay. Here's another one currently on etsy.

It is a shame but obviously not surprising.

Great Detective work and amazing what people can find/produce so fast for the forum

Caseyatbat 01-03-2022 12:57 PM

It's actually a reproduction ball, not a forgery. If you can't tell the difference you should not commenting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2176115)

David Atkatz 01-03-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyatbat (Post 2181638)
It's actually a reproduction ball, not a forgery. If you can't tell the difference you should not commenting.

This from a guy who advises collectors to scotch tape separated autographs together, or to glue them to a backing. But that's the internet for ya. Every moron has his say. (And, looking through this thread, I see that you didn't recognize it as either.)
You really are quite a joke, Casey!

ATP 01-06-2022 03:07 PM

These replica baseballs are a real scourge on the hobby. For a little while there I was seeing Babe Ruth baseballs and cuts that were replicas popping up left and right. It was easy to spot for a period of time because for the most part they used the same two or three exemplars to make them. At one point a couple years ago I gave up because there was a new one almost every day somewhere. I have probably purchased a dozen Ruth autographs in the last ten years, all of them not authenticated and I felt confident in doing so. I don't think I have bought one in at least three years and I don't think I will buy one again without seeing it in hand before paying. It stinks because with a vast majority of transactions taking place over the internet and with photos only, they look correct and the autograph appears authentic. It takes a second level of digging, to look past the autograph itself and make sure it's not a reproduction.

Case12 01-08-2022 09:34 AM

I have one of the same ball bought directly from the seller. He is completely open and cautions these are only replicas. I will never afford a Cobb ball, so I wanted one.
I agree with Casey - folks in the hobby should already know that these exist and are legit replicas. (The guy does other players too ....you can even ask him to scuff the ball up or tone it more or etc.)
Additionally I buy perfectly legit replica cards from sellers because I can't afford real ones. Placeholders in my albums.
Of course, uninformed or forgers passing these off as legit didn't do their homework.
Just my take on it.

David Atkatz 01-08-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case12 (Post 2183421)
folks in the hobby should already know that these exist and are legit replicas. (The guy does other players too ....you can even ask him to scuff the ball up or tone it more or etc.)
Additionally I buy perfectly legit replica cards from sellers because I can't afford real ones.

"Legit replica"? WTF is that?
"Oh... You're a Secret Service agent? Well, here's the legit replica of a $100 bill I printed. Whatta ya think? Hey! Where are we going? Jail?!"

The actual term for "legit replica" is "counterfeit."

Case12 01-08-2022 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2183433)
"Legit replica"? WTF is that?
"Oh... You're a Secret Service agent? Well, here's the legit replica of a $100 bill I printed. Whatta ya think? Hey! Where are we going? Jail?!"

The actual term for "legit replica" is "counterfeit."

You have a point. These are replica signatures. I should not have used the word legit.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-09-2022 06:12 AM

If the "manufacturer" of these items wished to be completely transparent, he would brand "REPRODUCTION AUTOGRAPH" into the leather of each panel of every baseball, including the signed panel.