Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   N284 Buchner Gold Coin Ward "Hands on Knees." (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313760)

Baseball Rarities 01-17-2022 12:08 PM

N284 Buchner Gold Coin Ward "Hands on Knees."

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have an image of this pose? Checklists going back to Lipset's Encyclopedia show Ward with three poses - "Fielding Grounder," "Hands by Knee," and "Hands on Knees."

Here are the "Fielding Grounder" and "Hands by Knee" poses. Has anyone ever seen the "Hands on Knees" pose?

It is interesting to note that Ward is the only player on the checklist with three poses.

swarmee 01-17-2022 12:19 PM

Seems remarkable nobody has created a PSA set registry yet.

Baseball Rarities 01-17-2022 12:43 PM

FWIW, neither PSA nor SGC show this pose as have been graded in their pop reports.

swarmee 01-17-2022 12:46 PM

I mainly mentioned it because that would be a repository of photos; Worthpoint deleted most of their sports card images a year ago to much ado. I wouldn't be surprised if PSA labeled this card as "Fielding Grounder" as well since that's what's happening.
Regularly, if the submitter gets it wrong, PSA just leaves it with that attribution. Sometimes the submitter gets it right and PSA still screws it up.

RCMcKenzie 01-17-2022 01:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've been collecting the set for about 10 years and have not seen a Ward hands on knees. It could be an error in the checklist, or it could be a very rare card. I have the regular Phillips Brooklyn, and this image on my laptop. I think it may be from the find that included this un-checklisted Mickey Welch. There is also the mystery of the McClellan. Included is an image from a hobby coffee table book that I have.

buchner 01-17-2022 09:07 PM

Ward hands on knees

The card is pictured on page 46 in vol. 1 of Lipset's 19th Century cards (The Encyclopedia of BB cards). I have one (not for sale) as I'm sure others also have one. Its the thick.no back ad. version. Hope this helps. John

Baseball Rarities 01-17-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buchner (Post 2186722)
The card is pictured on page 46 in vol. 1 of Lipset's 19th Century cards (The Encyclopedia of BB cards). I have one (not for sale) as I'm sure others also have one. Its the thick.no back ad. version. Hope this helps. John

Thanks John. I was looking at the checklist in Lipset's book today and did not even notice that that card was pictured.

Can you post an image of your card?

Is it factory or hand cut?

Baseball Rarities 01-18-2022 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the image from Lipset's book as John mentioned above. Thanks again for pointing that out.

Would love to see front and back color images if anyone has them.

RFResnick 01-18-2022 12:46 PM

WOW! It exists!! Amazing. Thanks for finding it. -- Rick

RCMcKenzie 01-18-2022 01:15 PM

I think, in a prior thread, John, or possibly another collector, suggested the book, "Classic Baseball Cards" by Frank Slocum. It says the pictures are from the collections of Barry Halper and "others". Sort of interesting that the near set displayed in color in the book, does not include the hands on knees Ward, but does picture the "McCllelan". 139 cards are pictured. I currently use the old cardboard checklist of 143, although I believe it may be incomplete. I also have the Lipset guide, and wonder if John may own the same card that Lipset used for his guide. I think they call that the "plate" example or something like that.