Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Maintaining Focus in Set Building (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170482)

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-11-2013 07:56 PM

Maintaining Focus in Set Building

Ok, so I worked on '53 Topps baseball for a couple of years. I "finished" it last summer. Within the last few weeks I have gone to work doing a little upgrading. I am within a dozen or so cards from being complete again. I really enjoy the look of this set. It has really captured my imagination for a long time. I must admit, however, I am getting a little tired of it right now and am getting the urge to work on something else. I have maintained focus on '53 for a good long while. Is it unwise to shift my focus elsewhere and come back and finish later??

Zach Wheat 06-11-2013 08:12 PM

Sets

Why? I work on completing several sets at a time. In my opinion it s the best way to do it as you can switch sets as opportunities arise. I keep detailed notes about each set I am building and go back to re read the notes as a refresher often.

In fact I started keeping notes about sets by clipping various posts about each particular set from these very Net54 posts almost from the beginning of the forum.

I have learned so much and have relished going over the quirks of each set. Good luck and have fun!

Z Wheat

mintacular 06-11-2013 08:12 PM

No

No, start a new set or else it will feel like a "chore" finishing the 53 plus you will be tempted to over spend to be "done" with it. That said, choose carefully your next set.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-11-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 1145102)
No, start a new set or else it will feel like a "chore" finishing the 53 plus you will be tempted to over spend to be "done" with it. That said, choose carefully your next set.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head! Those have been my thoughts. I stopped tonight and realized it wasn't enjoyable like it was supposed to be. There are a few troublesome cards that have me stuck, and I was about to overpay/settle. I will move on and keep an eye open for the remaining 53s as I go. Thanks, just another example of why I love this board! You guys are a great resource. The longer I collect, the more I learn "how" to collect.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-11-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 1145101)
Why? I work on completing several sets at a time. In my opinion it s the best way to do it as you can switch sets as opportunities arise. I keep detailed notes about each set I am building and go back to re read the notes as a refresher often.

In fact I started keeping notes about sets by clipping various posts about each particular set from these very Net54 posts almost from the beginning of the forum.

I have learned so much and have relished going over the quirks of each set. Good luck and have fun!

Z Wheat

Thank you once again for sound, timely advice. I thought I was the only one who kept notes, spreadsheets, etc. And you are right, Net54 is one of the most informative places to pick up good info. I learn a lot from you guys. I am not sure if I will work on '54(which I have a little start on), '56, or '57. I can't really go wrong.

Robert

HOF Yankees 06-11-2013 10:39 PM

I keep notes too like if I get a card I needed I cross it off my list and go on. I always have my needs/wants for sets printed out so I can take it with me to the card show and cross them off as I go.

darkhorse9 06-12-2013 07:25 AM

When I work on sets I keep my goals smaller and actually work on them one series at a time. That makes it easier to work on a couple sets at the same time and still feel like I have accomplishments along the way.

Right now I'm working on finishing the fourth series of 1957 (4 cards left), series one of 1953 and the second series of 1958. That keeps me looking at only about 175 cards at any given time.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-12-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse9 (Post 1145235)
When I work on sets I keep my goals smaller and actually work on them one series at a time. That makes it easier to work on a couple sets at the same time and still feel like I have accomplishments along the way.

Right now I'm working on finishing the fourth series of 1957 (4 cards left), series one of 1953 and the second series of 1958. That keeps me looking at only about 175 cards at any given time.

Good strategy...never thought of it that way.

brob28 06-12-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 1145102)

Great advice. I usually work on 1 or 2 sets at a time while also working on any upgrades to sets previouslly completed. I am also always working on non-set building interests such as T206 Hall of Famer's and specific cards. I need the variety to not have that chore-like feeling Patrick mentioned.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-12-2013 03:35 PM

"Chore" is the word for it, and that is the last thing I would want this great hobby to become for me or any collector. I now see that is exactly what was happening. I was on the verge of frustration. Now, not so much!

I have accumulated a decent start to '54 Topps. I will continue that, focusing particularly on Series 1. Along with that, I will pick a series in '56 or '57 and get going on that (not sure which, as I really like them both). In the meantime, I will keep a sharp eye out for good examples of the last few '53s I need to recomplete that set. Thanks for all the good ideas.

pawpawdiv9 06-12-2013 03:46 PM

I got my lot of SGC graded 53's on Ebay...i put it up once in a while..this time i was told to use a B/O function. Trying to concentrate on just 1 player.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-12-2013 03:59 PM

In considering 56 Topps, I have a question about the white/gray back variation on cards 1-180. Does it matter? Should I pick a color and stick with it? Mix and match? White, I think, is supposedly more rare 1-100 and gray 101-180...right? Thoughts?

Exhibitman 06-12-2013 04:00 PM

There is no right or wrong in this; do what you like because it is supposed to be fun.

My view on finishing cards from mainstream postwar sets is that there is no hurry given the large supply out there for sale at any given time. Now, if there is a rare variation or you are collecting a specific slab, well, you may have to move on those when they pop up.

brob28 06-12-2013 08:01 PM

I agree with Adam, do what you want so it stays fun for you. I was not concerned with white vs. grey back when building my '56 set. Doesn't matter to me, if it does to you - have at it and have fun! BTW - I love the '56 set, my personal favorite post war set.

darkhorse9 06-13-2013 07:17 AM

I did the 1956 set in entirely grey back. That's only because I thought the card stock looked better.

Sometimes I'll do that with card stock on sets like 1959 and 1960 where there is one series that has both color stock. On those two sets I didn't worry about the stock but it would loook really cool in a binder to have the entire set alternating the card stock by series.

brob28 06-13-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse9 (Post 1145611)
I did the 1956 set in entirely grey back. That's only because I thought the card stock looked better.

Sometimes I'll do that with card stock on sets like 1959 and 1960 where there is one series that has both color stock. On those two sets I didn't worry about the stock but it would loook really cool in a binder to have the entire set alternating the card stock by series.

Great point. If my memory serves correct I thought the '56 Koufax card looked washed out with the white stock when compared to the grey stock. Could be the reverse as I'm at work and going from memory.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-13-2013 05:53 PM

I am starting to think I might just go all gray. It would be cheaper 101-180 anyway. I guess I wouldn't turn away a white back at a good price, but i am not going to look for them. Thanks for the input.

doug.goodman 06-13-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1145415)
In considering 56 Topps, I have a question about the white/gray back variation on cards 1-180. Does it matter? Should I pick a color and stick with it? Mix and match? White, I think, is supposedly more rare 1-100 and gray 101-180...right? Thoughts?

Grey and white are just as easy (or hard) to find 1-100, but the whites are way harder from 101-180.

I'm nuts, so I did both backs when I put together my set.

Doug