Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Card prices skyrocketing (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295413)

Rhotchkiss 11-29-2021 01:12 PM

I appreciate that Adam.

JollyElm 11-29-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uyu906 (Post 2169567)
I used to think that qualifiers dropped the value of a card about 2 full grades.
So, example, a PSA8 Miscut of a 1960 Mantle All-Star would be valued like a regular PSA6. Is that no longer the case?

I got one for that, too:

228. Registry Disparity
The mathematical rule of thumb that a card with a qualifier is equal to a straight graded card two whole numbers lower.

See also: The Binary Conundrum - owning a graded card with a qualifier, but since the ‘defect’ is so minor, it definitely doesn’t merit having a two-grades-lower drop in value.

---

It's definitely just a (silly?) 'rule of thumb' with not a lot behind it. When I chat up someone with a huge BIN price on an off-centered card, and see if they'll adjust their price for the 'two-grades-lower' theory, they almost always want nothing to do with it. Some of them I wholeheartedly agree with (because the cards look great), but I know the others will never sell the cards for anywhere near their asking prices.

Snowman 11-29-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uyu906 (Post 2169567)
I used to think that qualifiers dropped the value of a card about 2 full grades.
So, example, a PSA8 Miscut of a 1960 Mantle All-Star would be valued like a regular PSA6. Is that no longer the case?

It's never been a hard rule, just a starting point. If you track auction prices and build a model, you'll find that each qualifier ultimately has a different effect on pricing. Also, it's location on the card matters as well. A miscut card is by far the most aggressive drop in value. It can often sell for 3 full grades below its non qualified grade. An OC qualifier can go for 1, 2, or 3 grades below. It often depends more on the set and how difficult those cards are to find centered in general. A card with a stain can sell between 1 or 2 grades below depending on the stain and where it's located and how severe it is. Gum stains are worse than wax stains since wax stains are often easy to remove and gum stains aren't. Also, some stains can easily be removed just with water, others can't. This all has an effect on pricing. Marked cards, same thing. Is there ink on the front or the back? And how big is the ink mark or writing? I've seen cards with mk qualifiers where you can't even find the marking. So long story short, it depends. But a miscut card is by far the worst qualifier in terms of resale value. That will kill you every time. It's almost always a full grade less in value than even an OC designation.

Snowman 12-03-2021 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2169023)
In March a PSA 4 52T Mantle sold for $148,000. The market right now is about half of that. That card has gone down from its peak just like every other one has.

You left out the relevant part of that sale though. It wasn't just some random PSA 4. It was an extremely well-centered PSA 4, which for this particular card, easily doubles it's value over an off-centered 4. See pic below of the card you're referring to.

Worth noting is that this sale was from Goldin on 3/7. However, in that exact same auction, ending on the same day was a decently centered PSA 5 that sold for $116k, and a PSA 8 that sold for $1,353,000. That exact same PSA 8 (cert #09044593) which fetched $1.3M in the same auction as the PSA 4 just sold last month at Goldin for $2,029,500, a profit of nearly $700k in less than 8 months.

If that PSA 4 were to be relisted today, it probably sells for more than $150k.

uyu906 12-04-2021 10:56 AM

always learning

Thanks Darren - I appreciate your sharing your experiences with sellers and the two grades "myth".

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2169617)
I got one for that, too:

228. Registry Disparity
The mathematical rule of thumb that a card with a qualifier is equal to a straight graded card two whole numbers lower.

See also: The Binary Conundrum - owning a graded card with a qualifier, but since the ‘defect’ is so minor, it definitely doesn’t merit having a two-grades-lower drop in value.

---

It's definitely just a (silly?) 'rule of thumb' with not a lot behind it. When I chat up someone with a huge BIN price on an off-centered card, and see if they'll adjust their price for the 'two-grades-lower' theory, they almost always want nothing to do with it. Some of them I wholeheartedly agree with (because the cards look great), but I know the others will never sell the cards for anywhere near their asking prices.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 12-04-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2170943)
You left out the relevant part of that sale though. It wasn't just some random PSA 4. It was an extremely well-centered PSA 4, which for this particular card, easily doubles it's value over an off-centered 4. See pic below of the card you're referring to.

Worth noting is that this sale was from Goldin on 3/7. However, in that exact same auction, ending on the same day was a decently centered PSA 5 that sold for $116k, and a PSA 8 that sold for $1,353,000. That exact same PSA 8 (cert #09044593) which fetched $1.3M in the same auction as the PSA 4 just sold last month at Goldin for $2,029,500, a profit of nearly $700k in less than 8 months.

So true. Grades aren't created equal. Might be a technical 4 but looks nicer than many grades higher.

Gorditadogg 12-04-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2170943)

Yes that card had decent centering, but so did the one that sold for $75k after that. It is not a card that would go for anywhere near 200% VCP, there are cards like that out there but that is not one of them.

My best guess is 2 guys got a bad case of FOMO and massively outbid on that card. It's an example of what was happening 9 months ago.

The PSA 8 pricing is interesting. There wasn't a dip on that card, although the $1.3m sale in March was less than a $1.6m sale in January which is unusual, since the market was climbing steadily from December through March. And all those cards look like really strong 8's.

I think it is hard to generalize from just a few sales. I have been tracking 100 centered Mantle cards for the last 3 years. I have posted about it before and don't want to get into the weeds of that on this thread, but if you are interested just PM me your email and we can talk further about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Snowman 12-05-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2171295)
Yes that card had decent centering, but so did the one that sold for $75k after that. It is not a card that would go for anywhere near 200% VCP, there are cards like that out there but that is not one of them.

My best guess is 2 guys got a bad case of FOMO and massively outbid on that card. It's an example of what was happening 9 months ago.

The PSA 8 pricing is interesting. There wasn't a dip on that card, although the $1.3m sale in March was less than a $1.6m sale in January which is unusual, since the market was climbing steadily from December through March. And all those cards look like really strong 8's.

I think it is hard to generalize from just a few sales. I have been tracking 100 centered Mantle cards for the last 3 years. I have posted about it before and don't want to get into the weeds of that on this thread, but if you are interested just PM me your email and we can talk further about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 or 2 sales here and there can certainly create illusions with respect to the braoder market. And there are so many factors that can cause any one card to be worth considerably more or less than other "comps". I'm a statistician, so I'd love to look at the data if you've been tracking 100 Mantles. I'll send you a PM.

Yoda 12-05-2021 02:50 PM

To grade is human.