Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   selfie vs autograph (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319590)

theshleps 05-13-2022 06:42 PM

selfie vs autograph

1 Attachment(s)
My son and I spend 10 years together graphing spring training, AZ fall league and instruction league. He has moved on to other things. On his flight back home to maui from Dallas this guy was sitting in his row. if it were you would you opt for a selfie as my son did or get him to autograph some random item? I would say both but if you could only get one which would it be
Attachment 516531

Kaneen 05-13-2022 09:06 PM

In your son's case, since he obviously didn't have anything remotely relevant or collectible to have him sign, the selfie was probably the best move. (Unless you happen to be building a collection of signed airline barf bags! Lol) Also, given your son's age and his generation's love affair with the cellcam and the insta, the selfie was probably more meaningful to him anyways.

Since I'm an autograph collector at heart, this scenario is the very reason I never board an airplane without at least having a blank baseball, a few 3x5 index cards, a ballpoint pen and a sharpie in my carryon bag. :cool:

PS. I also agree with your original thought...whenever I'm at a banquet-style dinner and the server says, "steak or chicken?" My standard answer is "both please!"

Topps206 05-13-2022 10:04 PM

I guess it depends on who it is, as far as I’m concerned. If I ran into a celebrity actor, per se, but had nothing on me, let’s ask for a picture.

An athlete, I’m going to go for the signature almost every time and don’t really need a signature from non-athletes unless Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr by some miracle signed for me, a Beatles diehard, I’d be fine with the picture since out of all the signatures I have, I can count on one, maybe two hands the number of non-sports signatures I have.

theshleps 05-14-2022 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topps206 (Post 2224661)
I guess it depends on who it is, as far as I’m concerned. If I ran into a celebrity actor, per se, but had nothing on me, let’s ask for a picture.

An athlete, I’m going to go for the signature almost every time and don’t really need a signature from non-athletes unless Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr by some miracle signed for me, a Beatles diehard, I’d be fine with the picture since out of all the signatures I have, I can count on one, maybe two hands the number of non-sports signatures I have.

Me too, athletes and Beatles though since I have had the opportunity to get to know Paul Simon, I have him on a number of items like this card I had madeAttachment 516551

theshleps 05-14-2022 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topps206 (Post 2224661)

Me too, athletes (95% baseball) and Beatles though since I have had the opportunity to get to know Paul Simon, I have him on a number of items like this card I had madeAttachment 516551

cnote08 05-14-2022 07:46 AM

That’s a pretty sweet picture with Steven Tyler. I’m a huge autograph guy but prefer older baseball players or any with halfway legible signatures. I imagine a quick airport sig from Mr Tyler would be a scribble at best. I think a photo was the best move in this case.

mainemule 05-14-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 2224627)
My son and I spend 10 years together graphing spring training, AZ fall league and instruction league. He has moved on to other things. On his flight back home to maui from Dallas this guy was sitting in his row. if it were you would you opt for a selfie as my son did or get him to autograph some random item? I would say both but if you could only get one which would it be
Attachment 516531

I think your son chose wisely here but "dude looks like a lady!" :D

Well done and congrats. Did he get to chat with him at all? Looks pretty deserted wherever they were.

theshleps 05-14-2022 05:04 PM

Just got to chat for a few minutes. Steven Tyler had 2 protective companions with him and it was taken while walking as the companions thought if they stopped and took a picture it would draw attention and potentially others to Mr Tyler

bnorth 05-18-2022 05:55 AM

I would pick the picture every time no matter the famous person. It is something cool to show friends. An autograph unless you actually seen it signed could have been signed by almost anyone including the guy showing you the autograph.

Kaneen 05-18-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2225914)
I would pick the picture every time no matter the famous person. It is something cool to show friends. An autograph unless you actually seen it signed could have been signed by almost anyone including the guy showing you the autograph.

Ever heard of Photoshop? Lol