Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New FB Acquisitions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194833)

Robextend 09-21-2015 04:51 PM

http://photos.imageevent.com/vanslyk...hilly%2089.jpg

obiwin 09-21-2015 09:16 PM

Just picked up this Joe Gibbs football card in San Diego. The backside has the 1962 San Diego State Aztecs football schedule and mentions it was distributed by the university bookstores and cafeterias. There were a total of 11 players in the lot that I picked up. They appear to be all offensive players, perhaps the starters? Although, there were only 4 linemen in the set and 3 halfbacks. The quarterback was Wayne Sevier, the longtime Redskins special teams coach during the Joe Gibbs I era. The only other player I recognized was Dave Lay, the longtime SD State and Colorado State offensive coordinator.

Any other information anyone may have about this set would be appreciated.

Especially curious whether this is the earliest known football card of Joe Gibbs.



http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/y...ssppa9ncd.jpeg

NewEnglandBaseBallist 09-22-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1454711)
Nice pick-ups Adam! Love the Kemp rookie, I had to talk myself out of that one, but glad to see it ended up in good hands.

I picked up the lot of (20) 1962 Post Football from Sterling's last auction, one short print Dick Nolan. Received it in the mail in less than a week. All of these nightmare stories I read of auction houses, and Lee's single man operation keeps kicking butt!




Thanks, Ty. The Kemp has been high on my want list for a while, plus for a 5.5 it's pretty nice. Congrats on getting that Post lot! I was watching it too and I think you got a great deal. Sterling is simply the best. I can't wait to see what's coming in their next auction.

jefferyepayne 09-22-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obiwin (Post 1454796)
Just picked up this Joe Gibbs football card in San Diego. The backside has the 1962 San Diego State Aztecs football schedule and mentions it was distributed by the university bookstores and cafeterias. There were a total of 11 players in the lot that I picked up. They appear to be all offensive players, perhaps the starters? Although, there were only 4 linemen in the set and 3 halfbacks. The quarterback was Wayne Sevier, the longtime Redskins special teams coach during the Joe Gibbs I era. The only other player I recognized was Dave Lay, the longtime SD State and Colorado State offensive coordinator.

Any other information anyone may have about this set would be appreciated.

Especially curious whether this is the earliest known football card of Joe Gibbs.



http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/y...ssppa9ncd.jpeg

Love that Joe Gibbs and have never seen it before!

jeff

Laxcat 09-23-2015 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some Dandy Dons

Laxcat 09-23-2015 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've gone a little crazy on the Staubachs this month. I posted 3 already now these. More on the way. I think I have a problem.

Kurri17 09-23-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1455357)
I've gone a little crazy on the Staubachs this month. I posted 3 already now these. More on the way. I think I have a problem.

Well, as far as this old Staubach fan goes, that is one fine problem you have there. I do feel better about my collecting habit when it comes to my old Cowboy favorites: the original I pulled as a kid, one for an album, one really nice raw copy, and one graded copy. Keep 'em coming, no such thing as too much Staubach.

Laxcat 09-24-2015 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very pleased with the mail today.

Laxcat 09-25-2015 07:07 PM

Surprise surprise. More Cowboys
 
1 Attachment(s)
Cowboys

gcolesrq 09-28-2015 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
was in buffalo for the opener and found a few items for my collection - don't normally collect player items but the price was too good to pass up

LuckyLarry 09-28-2015 09:51 AM

1966 Philadelphia Chuck Howley RC arrived today via eBay purchase. Just one more card to complete my 64 65 66 and 67 Philadelphia football sets, and it's also a '66 (Dick Butkus RC).
The Chuck Howley RC is very popular and it took me awhile to find one in my price range. After reading up about him I can see why, He was a great player!
Larry
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%20100.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%20100.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan 100.jpg"/></a>
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%20101.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%20101.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan 101.jpg"/></a>

brafcauknid 09-29-2015 01:48 AM

Isnt Howley the guy who punched Staubach?

Kurri17 09-29-2015 05:16 AM

No, that was Clint Longley who sucker-punched Staubach.

LuckyLarry 09-29-2015 09:29 AM

eBay win arrives today 1967 Philadelphia. Only his '66 Philadelphia RC stands between me and my 64 65 66 67 Philly set run:)
Larry
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan20110.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan20110.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan20110.jpg"/></a>
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan20111.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan20111.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan20111.jpg"/></a>

DanP 09-30-2015 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had my Namath RC put into this display.

TanksAndSpartans 09-30-2015 08:35 AM

Nice Dan! I always enjoy seeing displays, so many items in safes etc. these days, glad a few are out to enjoy.

Robextend 10-01-2015 08:54 PM

http://photos.imageevent.com/vanslyk...%20Gifford.jpg

cardsfan73 10-01-2015 09:04 PM

My local card shop picked up a small collection of late 70s & 80s wax. It was mainly 80s non sports, football and some baseball. I was able to pick up a nice 1981-1985 Football wax run for a good price along with a 1977-78 Topps Hockey pack. The 1982 pack has a Kellen Winslow showing on the back, a Hall Of Famer and a local guy!



http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...psi9ervkhx.jpg

HRBAKER 10-01-2015 11:06 PM

Boston University's multi-talented and ill-fated All-American QB Harry Agannis.

10.2.1952

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...psqhag8s8x.jpg

LuckyLarry 10-02-2015 10:41 AM

I picked up a lot of six "Risque Football Postcards" including these two. I like that they have messages on the back, postmarks and stamps. I know nothing about them.
Larry
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan20136.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan20136.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan20136.jpg"/></a>
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan20137.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan20137.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan20137.jpg"/></a>

herbc 10-05-2015 06:37 PM

Card Show acquisitions
 
Attended the card show at the County Center in White Plains, NY yesterday. I picked up a couple of Kenny Washington 1954 Leaf RC's. SCG was setup for on site grading. Never used them before, but for convenience, gave them a try. I'm very pleased with the presentation.

Front & Reverse
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psenq6wt0u.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psebmcwpub.jpg

Front & Reverse
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pswgjajbsl.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psgwul9w2y.jpg

jb67 10-05-2015 07:29 PM

herbc, those Kenny Washington cards look great in the SGC holder. Some cards just pop a lot more in the SGC holder than PSA or BVG. Very nice pickups. Congrats.

TanksAndSpartans 10-05-2015 08:04 PM

Very Nice! I also really like his 48B because of the significance of the coliseum in the background. Here's some video of him wearing #13 with the Rams: http://www.thirdandlong.tv/the-tal-project/video/

brafcauknid 10-06-2015 04:08 PM

Some pick ups from the last couple weeks.

[IMG]http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...pslbuacu7b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...psbyjayo9i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...psww43t9v6.jpg[/IMG]

NewEnglandBaseBallist 10-06-2015 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Purchased this "puppy" off of COMC.com a few days ago:

LuckyLarry 10-07-2015 06:17 AM

1966 Philadelphia Dick Butkus RC eBay win. Finishes off my 64-65-66-67 Philadelphia sets:)
Larry
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan20140.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan20140.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan20140.jpg"/></a>
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan20141.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan20141.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan20141.jpg"/></a>

TanksAndSpartans 10-07-2015 07:55 AM

Congrats Larry! Wow, is that all the Philadelphia football cards? And will I always be left to wonder what "Intercepting 143.8" means?

LuckyLarry 10-07-2015 08:07 AM

John: Yes 64-65-66-67 Philadelphia sets complete. And what does "Intercepting 143.8" mean? It means I could afford this card!
Larry
Quote:

Originally Posted by DezHood (Post 1459449)
Congrats Larry! Wow, is that all the Philadelphia football cards? And will I always be left to wonder what "Intercepting 143.8" means?


jb67 10-07-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1459454)
John: Yes 64-65-66-67 Philadelphia sets complete. And what does "Intercepting 143.8" mean? It means I could afford this card!
Larry

Great reply! Congrats luckylarry on finishing off those sets. How long have you been working on them?

Here is my latest addition. I have been slowly putting together a Unitas run.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...adelphia-psa-7

Kurri17 10-07-2015 11:15 AM

Great Unitas, really like the run of Philly Unitas cards. Congrats.

LuckyLarry 10-07-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb67 (Post 1459477)
Great reply! Congrats luckylarry on finishing off those sets. How long have you been working on them?

Here is my latest addition. I have been slowly putting together a Unitas run.

JB: I got serious about my football sets at the Baltimore National in 2012. Glad to knock off the Philadelphia sets and need just 20 cards for my Fleer run, and 23 cards for my Topps run. How about my Bowman sets? THAT is another story as the '48 (need 23) '50 (need 17) '51 (need 12) '52L (need 54) '52S (need 54) are TOUGH!
Larry

rjackson44 10-09-2015 09:18 AM

Jos willy
 
1 Attachment(s)
😇😇😇😇

DBesse27 10-10-2015 08:09 PM

Wow, what a great thread! Really love the Philly Unitas and Butkus cards and the Kellogg's Sayers and Mackey cards too.

Kurri17 10-10-2015 08:52 PM

My latest. The first of a few Tarkenton and Alworth I plan on picking up over time, and the latest addition to the Unitas SGC run. Thanks for the look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...C/100_2898.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...C/100_2897.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...C/100_2899.jpg

LuckyLarry 10-14-2015 01:53 PM

"Chipping" away at the 1952 Bowman Small set:
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%20143.jpeg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%20143.jpeg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan 143.jpeg"/></a>
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%20144.jpeg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%20144.jpeg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan 144.jpeg"/></a>
Larry

LuckyLarry 10-14-2015 01:55 PM

1952 Bowman Large hits:
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%20145.jpeg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%20145.jpeg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan 145.jpeg"/></a>
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%20146.jpeg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%20146.jpeg" border="0" alt=" photo Scan 146.jpeg"/></a>
Larry

DBesse27 10-14-2015 03:31 PM

Nice Bowmans!

DBesse27 10-16-2015 06:22 PM

I know a lot of you are still getting to know me. I introduced myself by way of a thread showing most of my Gino Cappelletti collection. Well I also collect HOF lineman John Hannah. Here is a link to my PSA master set, right now in its very early stages:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr....aspx?s=199048

Two years before his '74 Topps rookie card, Hannah was included in a deck of playing cards put out by the U of Alabama. To me, this is the #1 Hannah card to get, a really cool pre-rookie. In the master composite, it's given 5.0 weighting, equal to his Topps RC and the '77 Topps Mexican. However, a quick perusal of the PSA pop report plus 6 months of scouring eBay and other websites all make it pretty clear that his '72 Bama playing card is much tougher to locate than the other 2. There are a grand total of 3 PSA graded copies of the card.... for now. Soon there will be a 4th; I got this in the mail today:

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...ama%20deck.jpg

Besides the Hannah, the other key card is of his legendary coach, Bear Bryant. Both of these will be in the mail on Monday, to eventually land at PSA.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...a%20Hannah.jpg

I'm really excited about this purchase!! It came from an amateurish listing, ending on a Wednesday afternoon, that neither showed nor mentioned the Hannah. I won it for about 15% of my snipe. STEAL!!

jefferyepayne 10-17-2015 06:45 AM

Great snag! It's always cool to find something for a good price and things are often misclassified on ebay.

jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1462368)
I know a lot of you are still getting to know me. I introduced myself by way of a thread showing most of my Gino Cappelletti collection. Well I also collect HOF lineman John Hannah. Here is a link to my PSA master set, right now in its very early stages:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr....aspx?s=199048

Two years before his '74 Topps rookie card, Hannah was included in a deck of playing cards put out by the U of Alabama. To me, this is the #1 Hannah card to get, a really cool pre-rookie. In the master composite, it's given 5.0 weighting, equal to his Topps RC and the '77 Topps Mexican. However, a quick perusal of the PSA pop report plus 6 months of scouring eBay and other websites all make it pretty clear that his '72 Bama playing card is much tougher to locate than the other 2. There are a grand total of 3 PSA graded copies of the card.... for now. Soon there will be a 4th; I got this in the mail today:

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...ama%20deck.jpg

Besides the Hannah, the other key card is of his legendary coach, Bear Bryant. Both of these will be in the mail on Monday, to eventually land at PSA.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...a%20Hannah.jpg

I'm really excited about this purchase!! It came from an amateurish listing, ending on a Wednesday afternoon, that neither showed nor mentioned the Hannah. I won it for about 15% of my snipe. STEAL!!


sockwell123 10-17-2015 07:19 AM

Roll Tide!

TanksAndSpartans 10-17-2015 08:43 AM

Very Nice - and I really like your write ups in the "About this set" section - I do the same thing - most collectors leave it blank.

pariah1107 10-17-2015 12:03 PM

Great Hannah card! Love the image, looks like he's got bad intentions.

Upgraded my beater '59 Brown with this example, very pleased:)....

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...psygre2hqc.jpg

.... and a guilty pleasure, local sports history, 1992 & 1995 CWU Media Guides (Jon Kitna's freshman and senior year, 1995 NAIA National Champions). A special thank you for the heads up on the 1992 media guide to Hot Springs Bather (Mike) :

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1uvddthh.jpg

Hot Springs Bathers 10-17-2015 03:40 PM

Perfect!

LuckyLarry 10-18-2015 04:22 AM

Nice pick-up!
Larry
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1462368)
I'm really excited about this purchase!! It came from an amateurish listing, ending on a Wednesday afternoon, that neither showed nor mentioned the Hannah. I won it for about 15% of my snipe. STEAL!!


Mikehealer 10-20-2015 07:36 PM

This strays from my Texas born player collecting, but as a kid in the '70's reading about all the greats from the early days of football "Blood" was a favorite. Probably had a lot to do with his nickname. One of my favorite pickups
in quite a while.
http://photos.imageevent.com/mhgt/ho...0matchbook.jpg

revmoran 10-20-2015 08:15 PM

That is a nice example of the McNally matchcover!

I have this letter from Art Kiely, PR guy for the Steelers, relating some comments about McNally from Art Rooney to a author -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q...2520letter.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K...2520detail.jpg

Mikehealer 10-20-2015 09:13 PM

Great letter and thanks for sharing. McNally certainly was one of a kind.

jefferyepayne 10-21-2015 08:56 AM

Very nice Johnny Blood! Love his Walkers Cleaners too.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgall...50205_0022.jpg

jeff

Hot Springs Bathers 10-21-2015 09:59 AM

That story is tremendous. I have an early NFL Films VHS that interviews some of the early stars that were still around in the 1960's & 1970's, Johnny tells great stories and looks like someone you really wouldn't want to mess with!

I believe that title from NFL Films was "Old Leather."

Laxcat 10-22-2015 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One less I need for my '55 AA set.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.