Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinion re this one (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65152)

Archive 05-16-2004 06:55 AM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw&nbsp; </b><p>I was high bidder at $9.99 on an item from a Canadian seller. The listing says they will send the item by mail, no price given. It is one card. They want $8.86 to ship. I know that postage from Canada to the USA is under a buck for a single card; certainly $2 should cover it. If the seller refuses to come down significantly on the price of the mailing I am seriously considering reneging. Am I being out of line?

Archive 05-16-2004 08:58 AM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>I hate to say this but I would have inquired about the postage rate. If the seller tells you that he sends everything registered and insured to the US then this could be a reason that it's jacked up so high. The same thing happened to me one time. The only bad part is that the Canadian ebayer didn't send the item and I waited past the time limit for ebay to do anything and I was out the entire amount. That's one thing I hate about ebay. They encourage you to work it out with the seller. When you try this and the time for ebay interaction expires it's your tough luck.

Archive 05-16-2004 09:57 AM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Oh yeah, one last thing - find out if the postage cost is in $US or $Canadian. If the guy spends $1 on postage after milking you for $8+ you can always leave the seller a neutral or negative feedback... but I'm sure you've already contemplated this...

Archive 05-16-2004 10:29 AM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Adam, you are correct in what you are doing, I wouldn't pay it either. I have learned the hard way that if postage isn't listed, I ask. Alot of scum do not post their postage and then steal through the amount. Once again, ebay doesn't care. And as far as leaving him a negative or neutral, well that is a joke. You will receive a negative in return no matter what you leave other than positive or nothing at all. Ebay's feedback program is possibly the biggest, worthless, joke in the hobby! As a seller, I can not leave negative feedback for non-paying bidders. They retaliate and it destroys your rating when you have done nothing wrong. SAD SAD SAD is ebay's feedback system!

Archive 05-16-2004 12:34 PM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>first of all , the seller did not state registered, insured, etc., only that the item would be mailed. besides, remember that we are talking about a $9.99 item. Babe Ruth's rookie card this ain't...If you expect to charge shipping nearly equal to the item price, you had better say so in your listing. <BR><BR>second, I emailed the seller and voiced my objections and was told that if I wanted the card mailed by regular mail in a holder, it would be $1.60 over the bid, which is fine. Now, does it REALLY cost $6.26 (US) to mail the same thing insured? I think not.

Archive 05-16-2004 02:09 PM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>mike ward</b><p>$2 to even $4 would be palatable. $8 is usury.

Archive 05-16-2004 05:09 PM

Opinion re this one

Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>Unfortunately it does cost that much when you ship insured from Canada. I charge $2.25 US to ship uninsured mail in a bubble envelope. <BR>For an insured item I charge $7 US to ship in a bubble envelope. If you were to ship in a cardboard box it would be even more.<BR>You pay extra for every $100 insured to the tune of about $2 or $3 per hundred.