Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Dizzy Dean auto good? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305688)

Case12 07-28-2021 10:32 AM

Dizzy Dean auto good?

2 Attachment(s)
Nice framing. Looking to make offer.

Your comments? appreciate it!!

Caseyatbat 07-28-2021 10:36 AM

authentic.

theshleps 07-28-2021 06:39 PM

looks good

Case12 07-28-2021 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi. Same owner sold this Honus Wagner for less than $250?

That seems to good to be true deal?

Thoughts?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 07-28-2021 09:41 PM

Garbage--written with a calligraphic nib.

Case12 07-29-2021 07:21 AM

Got it on this Wagner.

He is offering me a Hornsby and a Freddie Lindstrom. He sent me photos, but I can't enlarge. Will be adding soon. I might make those a different thread.

I haven't mentioned the 'bad' Wagner to him. That's water under the bridge for me. I want to see these.

His scenario is that he moved and has no wall space anymore (believable for me. I had same scenario years ago and Cobb and Robinson ended up in my closet....I later sold the Robinson for a song ...dang it).

w7imel 07-31-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyatbat (Post 2127796)
authentic.

This auto is POOP!!! the bleeding on the paper should alert you to that!!! I would stay far away!!! if seller is selling one piece of crap it should warn you to stay away from everything. When will buyers learn, if its cheap its fake most likely.

w7imel 07-31-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case12 (Post 2127795)
Nice framing. Looking to make offer.

Your comments? appreciate it!!

Horrible...I would not buy even for 5 bucks!!!

Klrdds 07-31-2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 2128973)
I would stay far away!!! if seller is selling one piece of crap it should warn you to stay away from everything. When will buyers learn, if its cheap its fake most likely.

Great advice and it should be followed .

Both autos ( Wagner and Dean ) aren’t even close and are easily detected as not good just by looking at flow and basic letter formation.

Duluth Eskimo 07-31-2021 10:03 PM

The Dean is authentic

Case12 08-01-2021 02:02 PM

Folks. Interesting mix of responses.

I bargained the owner down to nearly half where he started.

Now is the time to back away or move forward.

I like the piece, but want it authentic.

mr2686 08-01-2021 04:55 PM

Too much ink bleed in the Dean indicating a slow hand. I wouldn't touch it.

T206Collector 08-01-2021 07:31 PM

No on both.

Michael B 08-01-2021 08:30 PM

No comment on the authenticity of the Dean autograph. However, those who are saying 'ink bleed' are horribly incorrect (sounds nicer than you do not know what you are talking about). That is not a fountain pen signature, it is ball point pen. Too much ink on the ball when it was signed and he smudged it with his hand after signing it. Not uncommon with the older Bic pens and lower quality ballpoints. It is very common when the pen shaft holding the roller ball gets a crack allowing extra ink to come out while writing. I am sure I am not the only person who has taken a ball point pen, held it sideways and turned to to get the extra ink off the end before it leaves a glob on the paper. It still happens with Cross pen bold refills which I use for work. I have to wipe them with a tissue. The ink also takes longer to set. I use it to collect autographs on index cards. If you put another card right on top after getting a signature it leave a reverse ghost image on the back of the other card.

ocjack 08-02-2021 10:49 AM

So is the Dean good or bad? Or as with any autograph not seen signed, is it just someone's opinion every time?

Case12 08-02-2021 01:16 PM

Not to get into a discussion on whose the best TPA. Yesterday I had Beckett do a quick look and they say it is authentic. JSA does not provide this service (I called them). PSA does not do this service outside of ebay (tell me if I got that wrong?). I trust this forum more than TPAs. This one seems to be a razor thin call though.

Duluth Eskimo 08-02-2021 09:58 PM

Seems thin like 70’s Elvis to me. You just got a paid opinion that coincides with Casey and me. If you showed the item with a Beckett letter, people would be falling all over each other to say it’s authentic and a poor pen example as Michael has described and I agree with. Normally when you see garbage like the others, all are garbage. This is not the case. No pun intended.

T206Collector 08-03-2021 06:53 AM

I still don't like the Dean. Let me put it this way -- the signature is too slow and heavy/deliberate for me. If I were going to purchase a Dizzy Dean signature -- and there are nearly 200 available on eBay right now -- I'd want a quicker, easier, more natural flow.

Case12 08-03-2021 07:09 AM

Part of the appeal is the framing, which I worked down in the price.

So many different thoughts here. If I bought it, I think I would always have a question feeling in my gut when I looked at it hanging on my wall.

Or alternatively, I could feel like I got a great price for a nice presentation of a 'maybe not so good example'.

To be transparent, I approached the seller (not the other way around) and bargained this way down to $150 including shipping. The framing alone could be worth that. :-)

jad22 08-03-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2129715)
Seems thin like 70’s Elvis to me. You just got a paid opinion that coincides with Casey and me. If you showed the item with a Beckett letter, people would be falling all over each other to say it’s authentic and a poor pen example as Michael has described and I agree with. Normally when you see garbage like the others, all are garbage. This is not the case. No pun intended.

Is a Beckett LOA eliciting that much confidence? I agree, Dean is good but not a great example. I am not a huge fan of his 70's signature. The token one on the HOF plaque/postcards.

Case12 08-03-2021 01:33 PM

Update: I bought it. Living life on the edge. :-)

I enjoyed this thread with your comments. An interesting discussion - what I like about collecting. :-)

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I am confident I will enjoy it when I see it on my wall.

Case12

Duluth Eskimo 08-03-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad22 (Post 2129795)
Is a Beckett LOA eliciting that much confidence? I agree, Dean is good but not a great example. I am not a huge fan of his 70's signature. The token one on the HOF plaque/postcards.

Not sure, but I have dealt with many of the guys there and feel they do a good job. They see thousands and of autographs and many people rely on their paid opinions when purchasing autographed items. Many people nowadays purchase the LOA no matter what the autograph looks like and my analogy refers to “if an item gets the blessing of PSA, JSA, or Beckett it’s good”