Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Vey Successful National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305823)

LOUCARDFAN 08-01-2021 10:49 AM

A Vey Successful National

I had a few objectives for this years National.

1. Talk with PSA about my 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb that was graded Authentic Altered. I purchased this card from REA and they submitted it raw and it came back as Authentic Altered due to a very small spot on the back of the card that they thought had been altered. I was convinced that the card had NOT been altered and wanted a senior grader at PSA to take another look and give an opinion.

2. Find and purchase a nice looking 1907 Dietsche batting Ty Cobb.

3. See in person a few cards currently at auction that I am bidding on as well consign a few things with REA.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e80fd57c5d.jpg

Thursday morning I just happened to be talking with Levi Bleam of 707 at his booth when Joe Orlando walked up and we all started talking. After about 10-15 minutes of talking I asked him his opinion on the card and he directed me to have it looked at again by PSA. I was able to immediately get the card back to them to review. A couple of hours later I got the good news that the card was reviewed and they agreed that the card wasn’t altered and I got it back graded as a PSA 2. Needless to say I was thrilled and pleased. It’s such a beautiful card and presents as a NM.

On Friday, I was able to make a deal for a great looking PSA 3 Dietsche Cobb. I searched all over Thursday and I only saw two for sale at the whole show which included the one I purchased.

It was crazy busy and from talking to many dealers a VERY profitable National. Can’t wait until next year.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...df96fc0f1a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2f2496847f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samosa4u 08-01-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUCARDFAN (Post 2129112)

Thursday morning I just happened to be talking with Levi Bleam of 707 at his booth when Joe Orlando walked up and we all started talking. After about 10-15 minutes of talking I asked him his opinion on the card and he directed me to have it looked at again by PSA. I was able to immediately get the card back to them to review. A couple of hours later I got the good news that the card was reviewed and they agreed that the card wasn’t altered and I got it back graded as a PSA 2. Needless to say I was thrilled and pleased. It’s such a beautiful card and presents as a NM.

Awesome! Congrats!

ullmandds 08-01-2021 10:57 AM

congrats...that's a big SUCCESS I'd say!!!!

Casey2296 08-01-2021 10:58 AM

Congratulations on the upgrade and the Dietsche Todd, both beautiful Cobbs.

GasHouseGang 08-01-2021 10:58 AM

Congratulations on the Cobb (both Cobbs actually)! That is a great looking PSA 2. It's nice to see some of the vintage from the show. All the posts I've watched on YouTube have focused on the new shiny stuff and the prices. Glad to know there's still some people looking for the vintage material.

mrreality68 08-01-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUCARDFAN (Post 2129112)
I had a few objectives for this years National.

1. Talk with PSA about my 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb that was graded Authentic Altered. I purchased this card from REA and they submitted it raw and it came back as Authentic Altered due to a very small spot on the back of the card that they thought had been altered. I was convinced that the card had NOT been altered and wanted a senior grader at PSA to take another look and give an opinion.

2. Find and purchase a nice looking 1907 Dietsche batting Ty Cobb.

3. See in person a few cards currently at auction that I am bidding on as well consign a few things with REA.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e80fd57c5d.jpg

On Friday, I was able to make a deal for a great looking PSA 3 Dietsche Cobb. I searched all over Thursday and I only saw two for sale at the whole show which included the one I purchased.

It was crazy busy and from talking to many dealers a VERY profitable National. Can’t wait until next year.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...df96fc0f1a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2f2496847f.jpg

Fantastic Story and Results
Congrats and Thus A trip well worth it

Exhibitman 08-01-2021 11:32 AM

Brilliant show, Jeff. Congrats.

3-2-count 08-01-2021 11:43 AM

Congrats Todd. Now that's a successful show.

Always great to hear stories like this!

NYYFan63 08-01-2021 12:05 PM

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

LOUCARDFAN 08-01-2021 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

Johnny630 08-01-2021 12:50 PM

Great Card Man !! Wow Beautiful

vthobby 08-01-2021 01:15 PM

REALLY cool!

Thanks for sharing. Your story was so much shorter than most but oh so rewarding!

I have been watching alot of youtube videos this week from the National and I really do feel sad for alot of them and the younger kids there as they have no knowledge or appreciation of vintage.

You put that Cobb done next to a shiny Doncic Rookie and they would go for the New basketball card 9 times out of 10 (un-official of course lol).

I saw one video where the videographer collected all new stuff and a vintage collector walked by and he asked him "if you collected new stuff who would it be?" The guy was like.... "I just collect vintage so I'm not sure". The kid then says well would it be Mahomes? The guy says yeah I guess. The kids like "so you just collect vintage.....thats cool" He then proceeded to interview 20 other guys that collect new stuff!

UGH!

You did very well this week. That Cobb deserved to have a numerical grade and it's the best 2 I've ever seen! Congrats on that and the postcard!

Peace, Mike

Gorditadogg 08-01-2021 04:33 PM

I always figured knowing Orlando was worth a 2 grade bump haha, I am just surprised Joe still has the juice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

conor912 08-01-2021 05:14 PM

Nice to know they are so easily convinced. Good grief.

ValKehl 08-01-2021 08:38 PM

Well done, Todd. Now then, how about telling us what you learned during your 10-15 minute chat with Joe Orlando?

bobbyw8469 08-02-2021 06:18 AM

Was Joe there in an official PSA capacity or did he talk about what his next venture might be?

hcv123 08-02-2021 04:49 PM

Once they got past the "altered" part...

How the heck did they only give that a 2? Are there defects that we aren't seeing? On the back?

Pat R 08-02-2021 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2129582)
How the heck did they only give that a 2? Are there defects that we aren't seeing? On the back?

No offense to Todd but I agree with Conner it would be interesting to hear from the grader that changed the grade. In the REA description it says the reason for the authentic grade was it was an album removal that impacted the text and an apparent attempt to reattach that area. In the scan it does look like the post area in postpaid has the typical paper pull you see in a lot of album removals.

Attachment 471826

Attachment 471827

LOUCARDFAN 08-02-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 2129225)
Nice to know they are so easily convinced. Good grief.

I actually wanted a grader to explain why it was initially graded as altered.

I certainly don’t hold any pull with them and that was the first time I had ever met or even talked with Joe Orlando. He only told me who I should talk to so that a senior grader could look at it.

Yes, the card certainly had been in an album and some of the print on a small portion of the card was lightened when the card was removed. I was certain that nothing had been done to the card and after getting it because seeing it person other than a scam you can easily see that nothing was applied or added which is why I wanted a review of the card. Nothing but the actual condition of the card warranted the grade that it ended up getting.

The auction description was written after the card was graded and since it was graded as authentic/altered the auction description writer most likely assumed that it had been altered. Most auction write ups are written off a scan/pic of the item and not the actual item itself sitting in front of the auction writer.

Seeing the card in person and under magnification rather than just from a scan shows why I was convinced that it wasn’t altered.

I am happy that I bought it but I have to feel a little bad for the consigner because the initial grader at PSA cost that person a pretty good amount of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

LOUCARDFAN 08-02-2021 07:59 PM

Joe said he was attending the show on his own and under no affiliation with PSA. He mentioned about how nice it is to actually attend a show as a spectator and be on the other side of the table. We mostly talked about music and concerts.

I know there were many issues at PSA that should have been publicly addressed and handled much differently under Joe’s run but I certainly wasn’t going to bring them up and address them. He was actually pleasant and a nice person to talk to.

perezfan 08-03-2021 09:18 AM

In post #18, the ink in the letters "post" of "postpaid" appears to have an added greenish tint. Is this just an anomaly in the photo, or does the print really look like that?